Tatooine: Gulch

Started by Ascertes, April 12, 2016, 02:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Tatooine: Gulch

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=1377

This is a Tatooine map designed for the original Star War Battlefront. PLEASE READ THE README FOR INSTALLATION GUIDE! It's a little more complicated than what most of us are probably used to.

Story:

Clone Wars:

The Republic has discovered something miraculous on Tatooine: a source of fresh water! With operations on Tatooine grinding to a standstill largely due to a lack of water for their troops, the Republic has deployed a sizable legion to take control of this water source. The CIS has received intelligence of the Republic's upcoming offensive and objective in this region, but are not quite convinced that this water source actually exists. Unwilling to spare the resources, the CIS has only deployed a single MTT accompanied by a company of B1 Battledroids. Unfortunately for both warring parties, the supposed water source is located in one giant sniper's nest in a gulch, deep in Tusken Raider territory. Both armies will have to fight through the Sand People as well as each other if they wish to lay claim to this area's resources.

Galactic Civil War:

The search continues for Princess Leia's missing droids. Due to the droid's crash site in Tusken territory, the Empire has fielded a task force to scour a nearby gulch and Tusken Raider settlements for the droids. In response, the Rebels have deployed what troops they can in the area as well, knowing what the Empire is seeking. The Tusken Raiders will not likely take well to this incursion, and are likely to respond with force!

Screenshots:
Quote from: TheGangstarTY on March 06, 2016, 01:14:05 PM
Charging into Battle as the Republic:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Clone Wars Map:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Galactic Civil War Map:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Screenshots and video provided by TheGangstarTY :)

Credits:
All work contained within this file are stock assets provided by Lucasarts and Pandemic. I have used no custom  content from any other modder.

Special thanks go to:
Phobos, for helping me with the LVL modding that causes the different starting positions depending on era.

TheGanstarTY and Commander Awesome, for helping test the map and work out all the kinks!

Known Issues:
The AT-TE and AT-AT are both missing their firing sounds. The MTT is missing all of its sounds. I cannot get these to work, but if you know a solution please let me know!
"Birth, pain, fear, death; the cycle of existence." -Dread Master Calphayus.

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

SWBF2 Maps: Space Carida.

The solution for missing sounds is in one of two ways: You can either manualy add the missing sounds yourself into the map's sound.lvl file, or you can use a callback to call them. Here's info on how to use that callback (SWBF2, but it works in SWBF1 as well): http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4750

Also here's how to add custom sounds: http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9541
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

April 21, 2016, 07:58:41 PM #2 Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 03:46:45 PM by Ascertes
Quote from: Gistech on April 21, 2016, 02:11:37 AM
The solution for missing sounds is in one of two ways: You can either manualy add the missing sounds yourself into the map's sound.lvl file, or you can use a callback to call them. Here's info on how to use that callback (SWBF2, but it works in SWBF1 as well): http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4750

Also here's how to add custom sounds: http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9541

Thanks Gistech, I'll give those a look :D

EDIT: The way I'm reading this, theoretically I should just be able to load up stock sounds by having the LUA read the data files of other stock maps that have the sounds for the vehicles I'm missing. I've done this before and it doesn't work, do you know why that is, by chance?

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

Quote from: Ascertes on April 21, 2016, 07:58:41 PM
Thanks Gistech, I'll give those a look :D

EDIT: The way I'm reading this, theoretically I should just be able to load up stock sounds by having the LUA read the data files of other stock maps that have the sounds for the vehicles I'm missing. I've done this before and it doesn't work, do you know why that is, by chance?

You can't load too many sound effects. It doesn't quite work the way you're reading into it.

In short, it goes something like this:

You need to modify your soundmunge.bat with a command that tells the munger to essentially "source" the sound effects from common.bnk. Basically, you replace the following line in soundmunge.bat:

@if /i %1==pc set BANKOPT=-template

With this:

@if /i %1==pc set BANKOPT=-template -stub c:\windows\media\chord.wav

In your modIDCW/modIDGCW .req file, you would then call the individual config files for the vehicles you need. You don't need to paste them over from the Assets, it will read them from either cw.lvl, gcw.lvl or global.lvl. You also need to create a .sfx file and call that too (not a .asfx file) and list all the sounds in that which are used by the vehicle you want to use. Then reference your modID .lvl sound file in your LUA.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

Quote from: Gistech on April 27, 2016, 02:40:43 AM
You can't load too many sound effects. It doesn't quite work the way you're reading into it.

In short, it goes something like this:

You need to modify your soundmunge.bat with a command that tells the munger to essentially "source" the sound effects from common.bnk. Basically, you replace the following line in soundmunge.bat:

@if /i %1==pc set BANKOPT=-template

With this:

@if /i %1==pc set BANKOPT=-template -stub c:\windows\media\chord.wav

In your modIDCW/modIDGCW .req file, you would then call the individual config files for the vehicles you need. You don't need to paste them over from the Assets, it will read them from either cw.lvl, gcw.lvl or global.lvl. You also need to create a .sfx file and call that too (not a .asfx file) and list all the sounds in that which are used by the vehicle you want to use. Then reference your modID .lvl sound file in your LUA.

Ah, I see...Thanks for helping me out, will keep this in mind for my future projects  :D

Quote from: Phobos on April 26, 2016, 05:12:05 PM
Nice map :cheers:

Thanks Phobos, It's only because of you that it turned out the way it did :)

Alright, going to throw another comment in here because someone else uploaded a video of this map. Video by MikeTheBeastsVideos!

Here are the links to Part 1 and 2:

Part 1:

Part 2:

It's worth noting 2 things with this video:

1. I have no idea what's off about his lighting. It works fine on my computer and neither of the testers who I had test this map reported this to me.

2. I'm not sure what's up with the black water by the Spring Command Post. Again, this wasn't reported to me and it looks fine for me.

If you encounter either of these 2 issues, please inform me. I hate having stuff glaringly wrong with my maps...

Quote from: Ascertes on May 01, 2016, 11:27:41 PM
It's worth noting 2 things with this video:

1. I have no idea what's off about his lighting. It works fine on my computer and neither of the testers who I had test this map reported this to me.

2. I'm not sure what's up with the black water by the Spring Command Post. Again, this wasn't reported to me and it looks fine for me.

If you encounter either of these 2 issues, please inform me. I hate having stuff glaringly wrong with my maps...

These two things can often be caused due to the settings. I experienced a similar thing whilst testing another mod for SWBF 1 and I had to turn my texture settings (includes stuff like terrain detail, not stuff like view distance) down to the lowest. Maybe if they were to try this it would help fix it? I didn't test it on high settings as often stuff like this happens anyway. It's best to keep it at low settings. If this doesn't help and they've played around with different types of settings, they may want to try reinstalling the game.

Another reason it might happen is if they've replaced files that affect the base maps, which could cause this problem to occur. From there on I'm not sure what it could be.
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

Quote from: TheGangstarTY on May 02, 2016, 04:28:09 AM
These two things can often be caused due to the settings. I experienced a similar thing whilst testing another mod for SWBF 1 and I had to turn my texture settings (includes stuff like terrain detail, not stuff like view distance) down to the lowest. Maybe if they were to try this it would help fix it? I didn't test it on high settings as often stuff like this happens anyway. It's best to keep it at low settings. If this doesn't help and they've played around with different types of settings, they may want to try reinstalling the game.

Another reason it might happen is if they've replaced files that affect the base maps, which could cause this problem to occur. From there on I'm not sure what it could be.

I'm not sure its graphical settings because I just played it with everything on high and nothing happened. Oh well, if this isn't a recurring problem then I'm not worried about it.

May 02, 2016, 02:05:52 PM #9 Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 02:08:52 PM by Phobos
Quote from: TheGangstarTY on May 02, 2016, 04:28:09 AM
Yes, this has recently been patched on the Atlanta Survivor Camp map for TWD mod :tu:
Basically, if a mod map is missing bumpmap terrain texture, it shows black ground around the immediate radius of the player model. Setting Terrain Quality to low disables the black ground caused by trying to load a missing texture. This is a useful solution if you don't have the source builder for a mod map. Several existing mod maps have this bug, the proper solution is to add a bumpmap terrain texture in zeroeditor.

Quote from: Ascertes on May 02, 2016, 12:09:22 PM
I'm not sure its graphical settings because I just played it with everything on high and nothing happened. Oh well, if this isn't a recurring problem then I'm not worried about it.
I haven't tried this map in game yet only saw the screenshots and video. But the advice I posted above applies to every mod map.

Quote from: Phobos on May 02, 2016, 02:05:52 PM
Yes, this has recently been patched on the Atlanta Survivor Camp map for TWD mod :tu:
Basically, if a mod map is missing bumpmap terrain texture, it shows black ground around the immediate radius of the player model. Setting Terrain Quality to low disables the black ground caused by trying to load a missing texture. This is a useful solution if you don't have the source builder for a mod map. Several existing mod maps have this bug, the proper solution is to add a bumpmap terrain texture in zeroeditor.
I haven't tried this map in game yet only saw the screenshots and video. But the advice I posted above applies to every mod map.

I know I got rid of a bunch of  "_bump.tga" files, but these weren't located in the world folder, only the MSH so they weren't called on by the terrain on the map. I got rid of these because they took up a ton of memory, and if I hadn't the map was going to be somewhere to the tune of a 40mb download.

I wonder if that possibly caused this?

Oh hey, MikeTheBeastsVideos uploaded another video of this map featuring the Tuskens! Link for that particular video included below :)

Link:

NOTES:

1. The Tusken Breaker Rifle is not a cheap rip off of the Bolt Action Rifle. :P It's designed to take out vehicles; not the best against infantry.

2. The Empire and Rebels are NOT aligned.

Enjoy :D

Once the battling forces of Empire and rebel, CIS and Republic have gone away, the Sand People will RETURN and reclaim all.

Yes just when I think I have taken a control point, SAND PEOPLE emerge and snatch it back!!!  They snipe, they shoot, and then there is some guy with a stick with a wicked spike on either end who has one whap one kill.  STAY AWAY and fill the space between him and you with laser bolts.  Else RUN.

Not much to complain about with this map.  I play either Rebel or Republic and the settlement base seems a bit far to run to the first control point.  On the other hand it's out of casual reach of the Sand People, though if no opposition, they will make a run at it.   Rebels seem to alternate between the skiff and gun skimmers, the latter I do not see on every match played. They are handy to clear the field with and the AI performs well with them opposed to the skiff which they get hung up with.  No sure if matched with Imperial chicken walkers if gun skimmers present.

Map has a glitch, as there is a paper thin horizontal surface seen when going down into the valley.  This may be because the gulch is below the water level of the map.   At first I thought maybe the water was there and was not displaying properly, but later, after a few matches, I found the water everyone was fighting for and it displayed properly at the highest texture.  Looked quite refreshing in all that aridness.  I wanted a drink.  The Sand People villages are well placed and scattered about and I could easily visualize  living in them.  Some are not easy to reach and I could only find my way to the first one by following my men through the winding paths.  This is good, keeping me on my toes throughout as while I could  set up a comfy snipe point, some Sand Person or even an Imperial or Robot would show up unexpectedly and hit me from another angle.

Does the AI  when using the CIS Multi Troop Transport shoot?  I saw it aim its guns but no firing.

In the rolling messages about who killed who and it was ironically amusing to see Darth Vader listed next to half dozen Sand People smote in a row, yes the half cyborg man of Evil had history with those folk who led him on that dark path.

The only thing that I would like to see different about this map at this time is maybe some aircraft, nevertheless, I have spent many hours playing it.

Quote from: SteamSWBF on April 08, 2017, 09:44:32 AM
Once the battling forces of Empire and rebel, CIS and Republic have gone away, the Sand People will RETURN and reclaim all.

Yes just when I think I have taken a control point, SAND PEOPLE emerge and snatch it back!!!  They snipe, they shoot, and then there is some guy with a stick with a wicked spike on either end who has one whap one kill.  STAY AWAY and fill the space between him and you with laser bolts.  Else RUN.

Not much to complain about with this map.  I play either Rebel or Republic and the settlement base seems a bit far to run to the first control point.  On the other hand it's out of casual reach of the Sand People, though if no opposition, they will make a run at it.   Rebels seem to alternate between the skiff and gun skimmers, the latter I do not see on every match played. They are handy to clear the field with and the AI performs well with them opposed to the skiff which they get hung up with.  No sure if matched with Imperial chicken walkers if gun skimmers present.

Map has a glitch, as there is a paper thin horizontal surface seen when going down into the valley.  This may be because the gulch is below the water level of the map.   At first I thought maybe the water was there and was not displaying properly, but later, after a few matches, I found the water everyone was fighting for and it displayed properly at the highest texture.  Looked quite refreshing in all that aridness.  I wanted a drink.  The Sand People villages are well placed and scattered about and I could easily visualize  living in them.  Some are not easy to reach and I could only find my way to the first one by following my men through the winding paths.  This is good, keeping me on my toes throughout as while I could  set up a comfy snipe point, some Sand Person or even an Imperial or Robot would show up unexpectedly and hit me from another angle.

Does the AI  when using the CIS Multi Troop Transport shoot?  I saw it aim its guns but no firing.

In the rolling messages about who killed who and it was ironically amusing to see Darth Vader listed next to half dozen Sand People smote in a row, yes the half cyborg man of Evil had history with those folk who led him on that dark path.

The only thing that I would like to see different about this map at this time is maybe some aircraft, nevertheless, I have spent many hours playing it.

I am...humbled, that you spent so much time playing this map. Seriously, I just got goosebumps reading that last line. I'm so happy you enjoyed it so much!

To comment about some things you pointed out:
1. The skimmers are more than a match for the Imperial AT-ST's. I do admit the AI don't like using them all the time, though I'm not quite sure why. It may have to do with the paths I placed. When I make an updated version (and I will, once I'm done updating Kashyyyk: Village,) I'll see what I can do to fix that. The same problem occurs with the republic's IFTX tanks.

2. The MTT does shoot, but the range the AI like to use the lasers in is very small, and they will only shoot if an enemy has their nose pressed up against the front. It's also missing its sounds  :dry:

3. The reason I don't include aircraft in this map is because the cliffs are only solid on one side; if one were to fly above the tops of the cliffs they could see behind them and straight into the battlefield. Graphically, that bothers me, as I like to have my maps be as perfect as possible. I could limit the fly height, but that would seriously reduce the effectiveness of any aircraft. I will consider it for an updated version, however!

Thanks so much for playing this map and leaving feedback!  :cheer:

April 09, 2017, 01:20:28 PM #14 Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 06:39:50 PM by SteamSWBF
Thanks for the explanation about the vehicles and aircraft.  On maps like HOTH I have to check and see how they handle border terrain, on maps like Genosis and Tatooine, they are designed have endless flatness at the borders, perhaps to avoid the invisible mountain effect when flying over the wrong side of them at a certain distance.  Not sure how much that would disturb my experience since objects constantly vanish and reappear into view on these maps depending upon how far one is away from them.

The CIS Multitroop transport does fire, only at close range?   Maybe the .odf for the weapons it uses has to be edited to play with the minimum and maximum distances to get it to shoot more aggressively.  Reminds me of the Hailfire Droid which drove around on the Genosis map, but I never see it shooting at anything. 

Anyway, maps such as this deserve a wider audience.  My hope is that SWBF I will be released on STEAM and GOG and get more interest.  It is there on Amazon, advertised NEW for just under 40.00, but if on GOG or STEAM its profile would be raised considerably. EDIT Jewel case NEW for around 12.00 on Amazon, pay up cheapskates!!!