Star Wars: Battlecry - A better Battlefront remake?

Started by AiRJacobs, September 07, 2015, 09:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
September 07, 2015, 09:06:40 AM Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:11:02 AM by AiRJacobs
Another Star Wars Battlefront remake is also being developed by a team of fans of the original game. Star Wars: Battlecry will be the spiritual successor to the first Battlefront game, but because news about it seems to be flying under the radar, it is difficult to get more information on it. So far, I know that it will be created on the CryEngine. For those of you not familiar with the CryEngine, it is the same game engine used in one of the most graphic intensive games of it's time, Crysis. The Crysis series, created by Crytek, and published by EA, has always been known for it's revolutionary visuals of it's time. Even the best PC's could not max out the graphics of the first Crysis game when it came out. For this reason, I have no doubt that Star Wars: Battlecry will be visually stunning.

The only reason that this may end up as a better remake of Star Wars Battlefront is due to a few reasons. First off, this is being made by a dedicated team of fans who are using there spare time to create something that resembles the original game. The second reason is the fact that it will be free (or so I have heard). This is all assuming, though, that the even complete the game, work out any bugs, and that it will look as good as we all hope. If it stays true to the original game (same mechanics and maps), it should no doubt become the next true Battlefront game....but that is a big IF.

Here is a work i progress preview of Hoth - Echo Base
https://www.youtube.com/embed/AvdwZAraTQ4

You can check out the website here:
http://swbattlecry.com/

It definitely looks promising, but I think it's gonna be a LONG time before it's released.

Quote from: Commander Awesome on September 07, 2015, 09:58:48 AM
It definitely looks promising, but I think it's gonna be a LONG time before it's released.
Totally agree.

They also said before few months that their team is combining with the First Strike mod team and now they can work faster.The First Strike mod was a star wars mod for the battlefield 2142 if i dont mistake.This is good.They really need to work fast and to show more and more new stuff to the public so people dont forget about this project after time :)  This will be the TRUE Battlefront guys mark my words.

Haha! I remember talking to someone when I first joined about someone should make a fan game for Star Wars battlefront. How amazing it is to realise this is actually happening is unbelievable!
Obviously, it doesn't look all amazing at the moment but I'm sure it will :D I've just never actually seen a game THAT early in development. I mean, they've only got Snowspeeders and a few tunnels half done. It's going to be a LOOOONG time before it's finished.
If they're putting it up for free, I'll be sure to donate it if it's as fun or even more fun than SWBF1 and 2!
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

September 07, 2015, 01:51:39 PM #5 Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 02:16:19 PM by AiRJacobs
Hopefully there will be mod support for this game. Modding is what has kept Star Wars Battlefront II alive for such a long time. Anyway, here is the first trailer that they made for the game:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/DKur-hBpn3o

The trailer features a rebel soldier combating a small group of stormtroopers in Bespin: Cloud City. The map showcases the iconic white hallways of the indoors in Cloud City, an outdoor area with ramps and stair cases (similar to the original map in the first game), and the Carbonite Freezing Chamber (which appears to be the most detailed point of interest on the map). Most of the indoor areas of the map appear to be more detailed, while the outdoor areas are constructed of simple polygons and basic textures. Regardless, the lighting is very good.

As far as I can tell, the core mechanics of this map are complete, however, the only "gamemode" appears to be Team Deathmatch. Obviously Conquest takes a bit more programming than a standard deathmatch. And by "core mechanics" I mean super basic features, such as: you can run around and shoot other players.

If anyone is wondering how the CryEngine performs today, I will put it like this: the reason CryEngine games look so good is because the engine is incredibly optimized, meaning that it renders visuals in games in the one of the most efficient ways possible. As long as you have a mid-range gaming PC, you should have no problem running the game, but if you want a to test it, try this free indie horror game called The Cursed Forest. It runs on the CryEngine, and I have been able to get very good performance in this game considering how good it looks.
http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-cursed-forest

So far Star Wars Battlecry is looking promising. I was actually blown away by the quality of the sound design there at the beginning. Sure its nothing like the sound in the new game, but for a fan game, its really good. I will definitely participate in the game's Alpha, whenever they plan to release it.

September 07, 2015, 05:04:24 PM #6 Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 05:06:47 PM by Norwood
That's really very interesting, and I think it is quite a neat idea, although it certainly is not a new one. It would be something that at the very least would be worth a try. But, I wonder what sort of legality there is for them to be creating a Star Wars game, even if it is just a fan game?
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014

I look at this mod long enough and I found another very interesting video :

Personally I find it very realistic!  :cheer:
Enjoy :tu:
"When will you fools learn? No one escapes Commander Fox"
—Fox, after apprehending another criminal

https://media.giphy.com/media/2GjgvS5vA6y08/giphy.gif

I feel confident that they'll keep it true to the first one. Even it's test videos look funner than the new game released by EA.

January 25, 2016, 07:40:08 PM #9 Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:02:03 PM by Gold Man
Was checking a reddit for the BF3 petition, and found someone mention about Battlecry. Popped by their website, and they've been doing a whole lot of updates since then:

http://swbattlecry.com/2015/12/31/a-year-in-review-2015/

Apparently they're experimenting with Oculus Rift tech and 4k resolutions, and have built up Bespin some more to look more like the original maps from SWBF1:

Then even said they still need some help with the project. Just figured I'd throw this out there:

Quote from: Star Wars: Battlecry website
We are looking for more people to help us continue to make this game a reality. If you or anyone you know would like to help, please apply at http://swbattlecry.com/apply.

We are always looking for:

Programmers (C++)
Environment Artists
Hard-Surface Artists (Weapons, Vehicles)
2D Artists
Animators
Even if you do something different please feel free to contact us! We may not always respond to everyone, but we always make sure to read everything. We apologize if it seems like we have been ignoring anyone.

I've been considering trying going over to help them work on that. I think it runs on UE4 now (so I heard anyway) but it's pretty exciting to say the least. Is there anything playable yet? Like an alpha test or something?
photobucket limit image removed

January 26, 2016, 08:48:02 AM #11 Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 05:03:48 PM by Gold Man
Quote from: Epifire on January 25, 2016, 09:25:21 PM
I've been considering trying going over to help them work on that. I think it runs on UE4 now (so I heard anyway) but it's pretty exciting to say the least. Is there anything playable yet? Like an alpha test or something?

It does run UE4 (their FAQ clarifies that).

As far as playable stuff, no, nothing yet. They're still working on it (looks like they're doing up the maps, as well as animations and such), so there's no telling when there will be a playable demo. They did say that UE4 might speed up their development, though, by how much remains uncertain.

One guy posted in their Q&A board on their forum asking why they haven't opted to put this game up through GitHub though he responded saying that it would be difficult to do for several reasons. One of the devs responded (here's his response):

Quote from: Sharky
It's usually not as easy as it sounds putting an open source project out there in the wild. Especially when you know there are actually people expecting it. It would mean that from that point on after we make it public everything we do and have done so far would be available to everyone and who knows how that could end. That's kind of a big step to take. So i think we shouldn't rush that bit. Maybe release first something playable that can be called a game and if it is well received then take a step into making it open source.

I am sure most are aware that open source could mean a quicker way of fixing bugs but usually there aren't so many people after all that could invest so much time in understanding the code and it almost always ends up there. Implementing new features would require first some degree of understanding the source code. Also since blueprints can't be previewed as easily in pull request as written code so it would be extremely hard to receive suggestions there and what left is the c++ code.

Link to thread:
http://community.swbattlecry.com/topic/170/why-isn-t-this-on-github-or-similar/5

Quote from: Gold Man on January 26, 2016, 08:48:02 AM
It does run UE4 (their FAQ clarifies that).

As far as playable stuff, no, nothing yet. They're still working on it (looks like they're doing up the maps, as well as animations and such), so there's no telling when there will be a playable demo. They did say that UE4 might speed up their development, though, by how much remains uncertain.

One guy posted in their Q&A board on their forum asking why they haven't opted to put this game up through GitHub though he responded saying that it would be difficult to do for several reasons. (I can edit this post and include a link to his response if you're interested.)

Definitely interested. I've been moving my workflow to match that of modern PBR and UE4 for some time now. But I've been following Battlecry since before I even started that venture.
photobucket limit image removed

Its good that they mentioned the Galactic Conquest.They really like that.When i read that i was sure that this people are true Battlefront fans.  :cheers: