ICW3 Conclusion

Started by Oven, October 15, 2013, 02:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Congratulations to 212 for winning the 3rd Intergalactic Clan War!

In fact, congratulations to everyone who played. 1.0 came in (a very close) second place. YAK came in a (less close) third place. Interestingly, all of these fine clans spent time at the top at some point in the tournament.

Other participants were Entenclan and UEF.

Most importantly, we were able once again to make some fun games happen. This is the point! All the rules, scorekeeping, penalizing, quarreling -- while maybe inevitable -- are secondary. If any of you found the tournament stressful, I hope that the chance to play in the successful battles was a suitable silver lining.

Special thanks to:

Buckler; for hosting and running this website, and hosting the American ICW3 servers.

Shazam, Deagle, Scorpion; for their service as admins.

All others who performed admin-duties as needed.

Deagle, Anyder; for hosting European servers.

Dark Phantom, Phobos, Shazam; for their modding support.

UNIT 33; for making our weekly maps.

The leaders and organizers of 1.0, 212, En'ten, YAK, and UEF. Without their hard work, and willingness to cooperate with each other and me, the tournament would have been impossible.

Everyone who has helped me, publicly or privately.

I presume that someone will be creating Winner and Participant awards for site-members.

What next?

This thread has another purpose: to discuss "what next".

Another ICW is absolutely not "next"!

But there are other ways of organizing games, at all levels of competitiveness and inclusiveness. Let me call two of them to your attention:

1. The ICA was meant to be as open-ended and community driven as possible. Essentially, it is a forum for scheduling battles between teams. There is no team list (so a "team" might be a clan, or group of friends), and no official scorekeeping. The rules, server mods, server location, maps -- are all customizable on a battle-by-battle basis. As long as teams can agree on conditions, the ICA maintains a list of willing admins (if admins are desired) and will also host the server (if desired).

If there is interest, I would be happy to restart the ICA. We would do everything again from scratch -- rewriting the "meta-rules" from scratch. The paragraph above contains all the crucial information anyway.

2. Soul's tournament is modeled on the ESL. Like the ICA, it is designed to be low-maintenance. Unlike the ICA, it is a proper tournament, with cumulative scorekeeping. The tournament has evenly matched games, with numbers set in advance. It's a very "symmetric" tournament, unlike the ICW which makes the critical attacker/defender distinction and takes place on a "tournament map".

I encourage everyone to read Soul's thread and give feedback.

-----------

I've heard several great ideas about "what next", which I have not mentioned (E.g., we might host weekly public funwars, with voting on maps beforehand, just like between Weeks 7 and 8 of the ICW3.). Many of them can likely be incorporated into the two listed above, but that's not necessary, of course. I hope that the discussion in this thread will drive us toward some sort of consensus.

October 15, 2013, 02:33:12 PM #1 Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 02:38:10 PM by Carpe Diem Jumper
Quote from: Oven on October 15, 2013, 02:20:04 PM
The leaders and organizers of 1.0, 212, En'ten, YAK, and UEF. Without their hard work, and willingness to cooperate with each other and me, the tournament would have been impossible.

Are we not worth mentioning  :o

There were a few nice weeks with you Guys :'( Keep SWBF1 alive! See you @SWBF3  ;)

The (212th) clan says "Thank You" with this little video

http://starwars.com/play/online-activities/crawl-creator/index.jsp?cs=rx63vuvnbz

[spoiler]The (212th) Clan says Thank You
To it's members: Norris, Mart, Nixo, Adamus, DirtyHarry, Chilli, F!zZ, engelskrieger, French FryZ, iNoobishh*, Eddie09, Zer0, Icemen and Bob.

To the clanhelpers: Deagle, Dumbledore, Rats_Raws, Destiny, Sonic, Jamman, Ecko and KillFire

To the mercs: Carpe Diem JUMPER, Nico, Anyder, Hond, Ace, Habi, Birdosrus, Wild, BabyEater, Jr, Superclone and Sammy

You are all winners!!

Especially thanks to Deagle, Led and Anyder for their servers during the ICW :)

To -=(1.0)=-, {YAK}, {U.E.F} and En'Ten for the matches, which we will not forget!

And finally thanks to Oven and Swbfgamers.com, that made this  tournament real!

Long live 212!![/spoiler]

It's evosoul, not to be confused with the american soul :D

I'd like to apologize for my unavailability the past couple of weeks.  My workload was next to impossible and applying for job stuffs is a major PITB.  I don't know how I made it through.

Quote from: Ten Numb on October 15, 2013, 03:57:41 PM
It's evosoul, not to be confused with the american soul :D
I've known at least 5 different Souls on SWBF multiplayer (long time ago.. of course).
It's so confusing! You think you've found you're long lost friend, but instead you find a complete stranger, and not nearly as friendly..!
--
I think new maps for the "next" tournaments or whatever-cha-call-em would be nice. Even though I didn't play in the last one, I still thought some of the battles were redundant in comparison to others..
I love small duel maps, its to bad octagon of death is too small for a full out war.

I don't think I can add much, except thanks to everyone Oven mentioned and of course Oven himself. Overall I've really enjoyed this tournament, we've had our arguments but it's nice to play big games and see the community working together.
My biggest thanks though go to YAK and every member who played whether it was just one match or in every ICW - you've all been a part of us staying in these tournaments.  :cheers:

Next I would like to see some more team tournaments and something to encourage more casual players who don't want this sort of thing (I've got an idea of my own but I don't want to get in anyone's way :) ).
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on October 16, 2013, 09:33:44 AM
Next I would like to see some more team tournaments and something to encourage more casual players who don't want this sort of thing (I've got an idea of my own but I don't want to get in anyone's way :) ).
Please post your idea! (Or link if you posted elsewhere and I missed it).

October 16, 2013, 04:49:08 PM #8 Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:53:46 PM by Shazam
Oven summed it up very nicely in the first post, but I'd also like to thank gdh92, Phobos, SirPimped, and UNIT 33 for their help with YAK.  Each of them played a key role in helping YAK throughout the tournament and YAK was lucky to have them on their side.  Thanks guys!  Hopefully YAK will participate in any future tournaments.

I'd also like to thank Oven.  He doesn't get near enough credit for all the work he put into the ICW tournaments.  Without Oven, I doubt we would be able to pack a server and have organised battles every week.  Kudos to you, man.  Good luck with the next tournament.

Oh, and I apologize to all of you who had to deal with my awful admining throughout the tourney.  Thanks for your patience.  ;)

Quote from: Oven on October 16, 2013, 03:30:26 PM
Please post your idea! (Or link if you posted elsewhere and I missed it).
I've been meaning to make a post with full details but haven't got around to it.. The basic idea, is 'SWBF days' either every last Sunday of the month or just a one off at Christmas.
I know that playing at a weekend is pretty much what happens anyway but these would be days when all players make an effort to play and we would heavily advertise them with servers up the week or even month before saying when the next one is and notices across all clan sites, even inactive clans with the date (and maybe a 'peak time' slot like 2-6est).
There's a bit more to it but I'll make a full post soon if people agree. The most important thing in my opinion is to work together and do all the advertising at once to avoid confusion.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

i would like to thank hond and wild for constantly complaining to me to help in the icw....and then id like to also thank nixo for listening to my battle plans which wild and i persoanlly worked on for both 212 and 1.0...my own personal plans went into the harbour battles...id like to thank hond for barely listening to me halffway through the icw 3 which made it all the more easy to help 212 win in the end....id like to thank josef for being too cool and fooling erryone forever.....id like to thank yak for constantly being there and being terrorists to wild and my plans....oh....id really like to thank soda for keeping me going in the early morning battles and teamspeak being there to talk to german people and yelling at hond verbally rather than......textually.....ya id like to thank you all for being there and having a war to remeber...virtually every remaining persons were there at the battles so theres that

Quote from: hellish hellbird on October 17, 2013, 05:15:22 PM
i would like to thank hond and wild for constantly complaining to me to help in the icw....and then id like to also thank nixo for listening to my battle plans which wild and i persoanlly worked on for both 212 and 1.0...my own personal plans went into the harbour battles...id like to thank hond for barely listening to me halffway through the icw 3 which made it all the more easy to help 212 win in the end....id like to thank josef for being too cool and fooling erryone forever.....id like to thank yak for constantly being there and being terrorists to wild and my plans....oh....id really like to thank soda for keeping me going in the early morning battles and teamspeak being there to talk to german people and yelling at hond verbally rather than......textually.....ya id like to thank you all for being there and having a war to remeber...virtually every remaining persons were there at the battles so theres that
I know this is completely off topic.. But what the fudge is with your profile picture?