Week 4 Verdict

Started by Oven, September 04, 2013, 04:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
September 04, 2013, 04:20:17 PM Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:37:50 PM by Oven
Because many of the problems last week are a result of the rules not being clear enough, I am going to announce a handful of amendments (=additions and clarifications, not changes) to the ICW rules at the beginning. Then we can interpret the three contested battles in light of the amendments (with an eye towards fairness and not simply literalism).

Amendment 1 (Clan membership)

All participating clans must maintain a member-list. The list can be updated over time, but must obey the following rules:
(a) A player may appear on at most one list.
(b) Once a player appears on a list, they cannot be removed from that list.

When counting players before a battle, for clan A, the players whose name appears on A's list are counted as "members", and all who remain are counted as "mercenaries".

Discussion

The above is absolutely unambiguous, but I will spell it out below.

1. For the purposes of the ICW3, each participating clan forms a unit. These clans are, for all I care, the only clans in the universe. Anyone not in these clans is considered to be clanless. So, if you are a member of Alpha (say), I consider you clanless in the ICW3. I don't care that you're in Alpha any more than I care about the other clans you're in for other games, or which school you attend in real life, etc.

2. Now, the members of a clan, for the sake of the ICW, do not need to be the "real" members of the clan. That is, if a player who is not "officially" a member of clan A, declares that they are an "acting" member of clan A for ICW purposes, then they will be counted as an A-member.

3. But your clan is fixed for the entire ICW. You can't change.

4. Therefore if you wish to help other clans after your clan is eliminated, you must do so as a Mercenary.

5. Before any more battles resume, all three clans must give me their list. It can be updated arbitrarily many times, but it must obey the rules in the amendment.

6. It has to be this way and I defy anyone to (claim to) reject this rule on "moral" grounds. The reason is obvious: the tournament stops being a competition. Why bother pretending to "compete" if eliminated clans can just reassemble as stronger, more numerous entities? It would make a mockery of the entire motivation for not only the ICW, but the historic tournaments of the past such as the original GGWs.

7. Please note that if the clan on whose list your name appears is eliminated, you may still play, but you will always be a merc. If your name appears on the list of no clan, you will always be a merc (unless your name is added by some clan later).

Amendment 2 (Filming)

The admin of a match must film the match via freecam.

Corollary: An admin may not play in a match.

Discussion

1. The need for this is unfortunately clear.

2. Note that the Corollary only prohibits an admin playing in a match that they're adminning. It doesn't mean that admins can't appear on clan lists.

Verdicts on battles:

Eddie's Kastel
This battle was a legitimate ICW game. In particular, SirPimped is not penalized in any way. The video evidence against him is consistent with his story; as Scorpion says, the assumption of innocence is not refuted.

And, although the following opinion is irrelevant for the decision above, I want to add that in ICW123 I have never seen SirPimped conduct himself in any way other than sportsmanlike.

The map will be removed from rotation and replaced with another one, TBD.

Verdict: Result upheld.

Russia
It's hard to say whether Amendment 1 (=A1) was violated, because of repeated tag-switching on the part of several members. Nevertheless, A1 came after the battle; I can't enforce it retroactively. So:

Verdict: Result upheld

Harbor

According to A1, 212 seems to have violated the merc rule. Again, it's hard to say due to the tag-switching that has occurred throughout the tournament. But, this will not be factored into the judgement for the same reasons as Russia.

Both teams violated the jet rule. It's hard to know exactly how strongly the outcome was influenced, but it seems that Rage's violation was significantly more influental than Nico's. Since 212 won anyway:

Verdict: Result upheld.

Decisions concerning specific individuals:

Phobos is suspended from Week 5 (team switching).

Majesty is suspended from Week 5 (repeated swearing).

Nico is suspended from Week 5 (violation of jet rule). Nico is a repeat offender; I'm not sympathetic that he respawned after being told to stop.

On Shazam:
Shazam's status as admin is not changed. By A2, he cannot admin while playing, since admins must film the battles.

Shazam was making some very difficult decisions. I publicly gave him explicit permission to act in my stead before Week 1. Innocent until proven guilty, and the "case" for his being guilty is extremely shaky. You might even call it a house of cards.

If Shazam really is abusing his power, then after this week, how could he possibly abuse it again? The next "abuse" will be instantly reported and he would be removed from office if it were valid. But I believe his actions this week, while maybe not optimal (but how could we expect that? This job can get complex.), do not warrant his firing.

I want to emphasize something: I am still the head of the snake. Shazam has a special role as vice-persident, so to speak, but I am at the top. If there's even a little controversy, I review it. So don't be fooled into thinking that Shazam is some despot-ruler with freedom to bend the rules to whatever he likes. That ain't so, honest-to-goodness; and Shazam knows this as well.

To be determined:
1. Whether or not we mod out special units. Please give your opinion; I'm in favor of it.
2. What will replace Eddie's Kastel?

Please alert me to any omissions. Let me warn you now that the decisions above are basically final. Your suggested improvements are not likely to be worked in somehow.

Now, let's try to make week 5 the best week yet. Since there are no rematches, we have the weekend off. Blow off some steam! These things are supposed to be fun, you know!

Quote from: Oven on September 04, 2013, 04:20:17 PM
Decisions concerning specific individuals:
Phobos is suspended from Week 5 (violation of jet rule).
Majesty is suspended from Week 5 (repeated swearing).
Nico is suspended from Week 5 (violation of jet rule). Nico is a repeat offender; I'm not sympathetic that he respawned after being told to stop.
Ok I accept this punishment but change it to violation of team switching rule since I was never a jet and also on CIS?

Page after page of crazy amount of writing, all of it, discussing behavior and rules. Most of it by "children" / teenagers. Filled with passion, zeal, and heart. (and a little bit of non-sense, of course. ;) ) Because of a few days worth of video gaming online(on a "dead" game..).

If only we could put forth this much effort into education, and things worth while.. :P
--
If I can manage to get on for week five (I've been attempting, but my schedule is tight.), I'll place my vote for the modded out units.

To be determined:
1. Whether or not we mod out special units. Please give your opinion; I'm in favor of it.
2. What will replace Eddie's Kastel?

Please alert me to any omissions. Let me warn you now that the decisions above are basically final. Your suggested improvements are not likely to be worked in somehow.
1. Remove them from server mission LVL so that nobody can use jet period and reduce the chances of cheating. Make it spawn as trooper or something noob.
2. Replace Eddie's Kastel with Hoth Caves. It's already included in the ICW3 map pack as it was included as a backup replacement intended for Dagobah, but that map works fine with no glitches so use Hoth Caves that way nobody has to download anything extra.

Quote from: Phobos on September 04, 2013, 04:28:24 PM
Ok I accept this punishment but change it to violation of team switching rule since I was never a jet and also on CIS?

He might of meant when you switched teams? I'm not sure. I'll aware Nico of what has happen when I see him. I hope we didn't kill any of Ovens brain cells. :XD:
https://swbfv1clan.wordpress.com/2013/09/05/icw3-update-2/ When 1.0 beats FC/YAK

http://www.xfire.com/screenshots/128879699 Schduled battle against YAK/FC with 1.0 Ldrs
http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/128576856-4.jpg
Random unscheduled battle against FC with just 1 1.0 Ldr.

Quote from: Gen.Hond{snp} on September 04, 2013, 04:33:23 PM
He might of meant when you switched teams? I'm not sure. I'll aware Nico of what has happen when I see him. I hope we didn't kill any of Ovens brain cells. :XD:
Nah, when I switched teams I was a clone rocket.

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on September 04, 2013, 04:31:37 PM
Because of a few days worth of video gaming online(on a "dead" game..).
If this game actually was dead this tournament would not be happening right now would it?

I agree that special units should be modded out.

Amendment 1 (Clan membership)

All participating clans must maintain a member-list. The list can be updated over time, but must obey the following rules:
(a) A player may appear on at most one list.
(b) Once a player appears on a list, they cannot be removed from that list.

When counting players before a battle, for clan A, the players whose name appears on A's list are counted as "members", and all who remain are counted as "mercenaries".

Discussion

The above is absolutely unambiguous, but I will spell it out below.

1. For the purposes of the ICW3, each participating clan forms a unit. These clans are, for all I care, the only clans in the universe. Anyone not in these clans is considered to be clanless. So, if you are a member of Alpha (say), I consider you clanless in the ICW3. I don't care that you're in Alpha any more than I care about the other clans you're in for other games, or which school you attend in real life, etc.

2. Now, the members of a clan, for the sake of the ICW, do not need to be the "real" members of the clan. That is, if a player who is not "officially" a member of clan A, declares that they are an "acting" member of clan A for ICW purposes, then they will be counted as an A-member.

3. But your clan is fixed for the entire ICW. You can't change.

4. Therefore if you wish to help other clans after your clan is eliminated, you must do so as a Mercenary.

5. Before any more battles resume, all three clans must give me their list. It can be updated arbitrarily many times, but it must obey the rules in the amendment.

6. It has to be this way and I defy anyone to (claim to) reject this rule on "moral" grounds. The reason is obvious: the tournament stops being a competition. Why bother pretending to "compete" if eliminated clans can just reassemble as stronger, more numerous entities? It would make a mockery of the entire motivation for not only the ICW, but the historic tournaments of the past such as the original GGWs.

7. Please note that if the clan on whose list your name appears is eliminated, you may still play, but you will always be a merc. If your name appears on the list of no clan, you will always be a merc (unless your name is added by some clan later).

What're the retroactive measures?
What happens to the U.E.F. and En'Ten members, whose respective clans dropped out?  Since neither clan submitted a list, I assume that means that they're allowed to pick a side just as long as they stick with it?

I suggest (as replacement of Kastel) Coruscant (i think its Temple, but im at laptop and i cannot check it)
Edit: after 3 try outs, i hope im finally posting.. lol
Edit 2: Well no, Scorp had to post...
Try Out #4

Edit: 3
@Scorp: Yes, i find that fair
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Quote from: Kniescheibenzerschredderer on September 04, 2013, 04:43:37 PM
I suggest (as replacement of Kastel) Coruscant (i think its Temple, but im at laptop and i cannot check it)
Edit: after 3 try outs, i hope im finally posting.. lol
Edit 2: Well no, Scorp had to post...
Try Out #4

Edit: 3
@Scorp: Yes, i find that fair
Coruscant Jedi Temple would be better than Hoth Caves but would require players to download another map pack or addon. However someone needs to test this map for glitches too first.

September 04, 2013, 04:49:00 PM #10 Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 07:18:16 PM by Shazam
Oven I highly suggest that we find more in-game admins.  It would be awesome if I could play for YAK every once in a while.

Quote from: Phobos on September 04, 2013, 04:31:59 PM
1. Remove them from server mission LVL so that nobody can use jet period and reduce the chances of cheating. Make it spawn as trooper or something noob.
2. Replace Eddie's Kastel with Hoth Caves. It's already included in the ICW3 map pack as it was included as a backup replacement intended for Dagobah, but that map works fine with no glitches so use Hoth Caves that way nobody has to download anything extra.
I am in favor of modding out special units.  It's so simple to do, even I can do it! ;)

I would like to replace Eddies Kastel with Hoth Caves, as well. 

As far as i know Sleepkiller made a conversion which was pretty well done (the bugs from whoever made the first one are fixed)
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Not sure where you want us to post this, but here's our member list.

Current YAK members:
[spoiler]

• Shazam
  • Gdh92
  • Vansting
  • Gold Man
  • UNIT 33
  • SleepKiller
  • Dbiz
  • Phobos
  • Joseph
  • SirPimped
  • Droideka
  • Helios
  • Elite
  • Kishan
  • Disciple
  • The Pusher
  • Daniel
  • Wolf
  • Kyram
  • David
  • Mike
  • Kelle
  • Altair
  • Drugrep

[/spoiler]

Scorpion, thanks. I'm not letting any of the players from eliminated clans join 1.0/212/YAK. For cases of people who have been flip-flopping tags, but werent ever in enten or uef either, they are forced to choose one.

I have to go right now, and will make edits tomorrow.

September 04, 2013, 04:54:43 PM #14 Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:17:33 PM by BlackScorpion
Quote from: Oven on September 04, 2013, 04:52:28 PM
Scorpion, thanks. I'm not letting any of the players from eliminated clans join 1.0/212/YAK. For cases of people who have been flip-flopping tags, but werent ever in enten or uef either, they are forced to choose one.

I have to go right now, and will make edits tomorrow.

But neither En'Ten nor U.E.F. were eliminated.  wat do?

Quote from: Shazam on September 04, 2013, 04:49:00 PM
Oven I highly suggest that we find more in-game admins.  It would be awesome if I could play for YAK every once in a while.

I'll try my best to pick up as much slack as possible, though.