Support For PSP Battlefront Games

Started by AnthonyBF2, June 21, 2016, 03:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
June 21, 2016, 03:03:05 AM Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 03:42:58 AM by Anthony_b
Hello, I am a big fan of the PSP, as are some other people. Just before GameShare decided to end, they got support working for the two PSP Battlefront games. (Renegade and Elite squadron) GameSpy account creation was also completely functional and the game played fine in multiplayer.

Now on the SWBFspy network, support for these two games does not seem to be going and I want to check if there is plans to make that happen. I, as a few others are willing to help work with you to make this happen. We can report testing and give information, feedback, bug reports, etc.

Using the SWBFspy address 74.91.125.138 gave me the DNS error on the game.
Using the older GameShare address 162.243.230.247 got me past the DNS error and to the GameSpy login screen, but GameSpy login/create failed. Note GameSpy is required for these two games in order to play online. There is no function to play without logging in.

I really hope these games can be supported. They still have a fan base. :)

Technical information:
In the Renegade Squadron game files, we found one special string:
http://gamestats.gamespy.com/swbfffpsp
All other strings are the same for SWBF1 and SWBF2. Only that string was special to the PSP game. I believe Kalle added this string to the database and it helped make the game functional but I am not sure that was all of the required work. As for Elite Squadron, I can't see any GameSpy strings in the files because the game is made differently but trust me, it does use GameSpy.

EDIT:
I poked around Elite Squadron in a memory viewer and found it's unique GameSpy string which is exactly the same as the one I listed above for the other game, except the end of the string is swbfespsp

The strings begin with gamestats but I not think that matters, the part that matters is most likely are the game name extensions swbfffpsp and swbfespsp.
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

My understanding is that what we got from Kalle was the latest binaries but not the latest source code.  So, in theory, if we set it up right, it should work.

The down side is that I have no way to fix any problems and I don't know exactly what they did.

The master server software, which is a suite of programs, physically resides at this address:  162.248.92.172

The DNS server forwards gamespy requests to the master server.  The DNS server that I set up for PS2 resides at this address:  74.91.125.138

So, what I would need from your community is a list of URLs that need to get forwarded, such as

natneg1.gamespy.com
etc.

If you have any way to let me look at the games' binaries let me know.

Also know that Kalle will not help us anymore, so we need to figure this out on our own.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Please try using this number 162.248.92.172

instead of Kalle's and let's see what happens

June 21, 2016, 06:47:52 AM #3 Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 06:52:16 AM by Anthony_b
I just tried that number right now and it didn't work. I got past the multiplayer authentication but can't login or register accounts.

And about the game binaries/strings - they're the same as SWBF1 and SWBF2 except the for the few I posted in the original top post. One last thing, it seems Elite Squadron has a natneg3 thing going, as well as natneg1 and natneg2. Of course those strings are the same as well (except for natneg3 which only exists in the ES game)

I am still thinking that the most important part is adding the game name extensions to the library, etc: swbfffpsp and swbfespsp (just as it may be built for swbf2pc and swbf2ps2)

OK.  I am out of town until the weekend and I can ask Jedikiller to see if he can help with the database at that time.

:cheers:

Thanks!  :D

Can I bump this? I am serious about this. Thanks!