[SOLVED] Factual Questions from the Noob

Started by Epifire, March 24, 2010, 02:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 24, 2010, 02:13:13 PM Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 10:50:34 PM by ag
Allright to start off, I'm just learning how to mod in the battlefront series so I need to now the basics in "what does what".

I know very little about this stuff yet so here it goes.                   
>Munging: All I've ever used this with was in a test project to see if my ZeroEditor was working other than that I really don't know  what it does or it's perpose.

>LVL PC: I "think" this is a directory to store the main files to run a the selected map, but I don't want to make up my own ideas about what it does.

>LUA Scripts: I really have no clue as to what this is supposed to do so I'm pretty hopless when it comes to finding out why It's even there.

>Formats: This is where I might know a little bit more about this part of Modding than the previous. MSH apears to be the formatt for models, and TGA from what I know is for textures when they are a non-optional file.
Other than that I wouldn't know to much more, my knowledge here comes from pulling texture files for A flack Towwer idea I had for Bespin.

Well this noob is done for now, so if sombody can give me URL to a site that would explain this more, or just post for the heck of it that would be great.   :tu:
photobucket limit image removed

March 24, 2010, 02:28:29 PM #1 Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 02:30:13 PM by <AmA>AaM.Snake
The LUA is stuff that has to do with a map I believe, Or it kind of tells the game certain things like what units in the odf files to put in and how many walkers there are and stuff like that. LVL_PC_ in the SWBF1 folder on your hardrive is where you put mods LVL_PC_ > SIDE > replace one of the .lvl files with your mods .lvl file. Munging simply compiles the mod you have made so the game can read it, it forms it into the .lvl file enabling you to put it in SWBF1. .MSH is yes the model of the object. It tells the game where the .TGA file goes on the model. Which brings me to .TGA's they are the skin, they are the colors that make the game even funner :D. .ODF is the properties of the object. Like weapons, health, foley, and sounds. Let me know if you need any other help I'd be glad to help you ;) my xfire is aatcsnake

www.amacademy.webs.com is just for modding the SWBF series, I suggest going there. There are alot of tutorials on the forums and alot of people who can mod to help you :D.♠
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Wow that about says it, thanks I had to get my facts straight.

I didn't want to go on Modding without knowing what the stuff really did, anyway most people may not find it important to know whats behind the game and all, but when your the one making the "addons" it really would be stupid not to find out.

Thanks a bunch on the help, to go on modding that way would be a ticket to dissaster.

And thanks for the ULR to that site.  :) 
photobucket limit image removed

haha no prob epifire, hope you have alot of success in modding swbf1  :tu:
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder