Zero Editor Map - Objects out of place in-game, but not in editor

Started by TheGangstarTY, August 05, 2016, 06:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi all,

So I'm currently well underway with the development of my new map. I've just finished the Rebel's base and wanted to test it. The floor needs darkening and I still need to re-position the command post regions. I also need to change the skybox. However one major issue has happened that I have no clue as to why.

When I went to explore the rebel base, some object's rotations had reset, others would be re-positioned automatically and there would be ramps and other objects just sticking through the buildings. Hell, even the landing platforms had gone halfway across the map.

What have I done wrong? Is this a munging/cleaning issue? Or is this something I haven't done in the editor? In the editor it looks fine as if nothings wrong but in the game it's like Godzilla just demolished my map during the munging process.

I hope I've explained it well enough for others to understand my issue. I'd appreciate any help with this, I've been working for hours on this, luckily I tested it before adding more objects.

Thanks,
- TheGangstarTY

PS: The only error I've had during munging is the following:
"soundflmunge.exe : Warning : No files in file list BII01  - while munging C:\LucasArts\BFBuilder\DataBII01\Sound\worlds\BII01\BII01.asfx"
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

Sometimes it may happens if the map was created with BFBuilder, and then builded with BFBuilder Pro... In this case you need to delete old map and create new one.
Sometimes config file needs to be edited and changed its FlipModelX = 1 parameter. I guess it should be 1 instead of 0. Or 0 instead of 1...
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: Sereja on August 05, 2016, 07:50:25 AM
Sometimes it may happens if the map was created with BFBuilder, and then builded with BFBuilder Pro... In this case you need to delete old map and create new one.
Sometimes config file needs to be edited and changed its FlipModelX = 1 parameter. I guess it should be 1 instead of 0. Or 0 instead of 1...

I only created this map on BF Builder Pro which is odd. Could it be that I created it on Windows XP then edited it on Windows 10?
As for the config file, FlipModelX isn't in any of the lines of the file. Should I add it, and if so, where should I put it?

EDIT: I just compared it to an old DataID folder's config.ini file that I made whilst trying to get my munging to work and that was different. I've backed up my config.ini file and replaced it with the other one to see if that fixes anything. I'll edit this post once I find out if this has made a difference.

EDIT2: Okay, so straight away once I open up the .WLD file that I'm making the objects have been scrambled EXACTLY how they were in-game. I'm going with the assumption that upon editing the map with this new config.ini file they should go in the correct places now. Would changing the config.ini file change anything else (such as regions, pathing, vehicles etc)? I'll be checking the map for any other changes. Thank you very much for your help Sereja!

EDIT3: Changing FlipModelX to 0 seemed to fix it like you said, thank you again Sereja!

EDIT4: Apparently the munging process destroys this. Everything goes back to really broken again. Do you think I should just edit the map with FlipModelX set to 1?
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

Its possible.Also this happen to me alot of times on a maps where i putted alot of custom made models.If you use alot of models from Gametoast be sure that some models may work ingame however sometime they are making some weird glitches.Thats also a variant.Im not sure but why not...

This can also happen if the map size settings are not perfect squares (I.E. 5x5, 22x22, etc.) If you've tampered with that, for future I suggest you don't. The default size usually is just fine for creating even very large scale maps.

Although it seems you've fixed your issue, it's still good to note  ;)
"Birth, pain, fear, death; the cycle of existence." -Dread Master Calphayus.

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

SWBF2 Maps: Space Carida.

Quote from: Ginev on August 05, 2016, 12:57:28 PM
Its possible.Also this happen to me alot of times on a maps where i putted alot of custom made models.If you use alot of models from Gametoast be sure that some models may work ingame however sometime they are making some weird glitches.Thats also a variant.Im not sure but why not...

Currently I'm not using any models from Gametoast but I'm currently trying out Gistech's SWBF3 AT-ATs and AT-STs and I don't even know if I've put the models in right yet since I can't seem to get vehicles to spawn :/

On the other hand, I've fixed the whole issue with misplaced objects now. It was an absolute nightmare and made did a little damage to my map which is unfixable unless I rebuild certain areas but it's over now and the damages are barely visible anyway.

Once I've got vehicles all sorted out I'll be checking out your sound tutorial since I want to change the sounds of the AT-ATs and AT-STs. Does that cover vehicle sounds?

Quote from: Ascertes on August 05, 2016, 02:07:38 PM
This can also happen if the map size settings are not perfect squares (I.E. 5x5, 22x22, etc.) If you've tampered with that, for future I suggest you don't. The default size usually is just fine for creating even very large scale maps.

Although it seems you've fixed your issue, it's still good to note  ;)

I didn't alter those, I only darkened the floor from 255-255-255-255 to 128-128-128-128. I'll watch out for that next time though, thanks ;)

Also, quick question, how can I get nodes to be place on objects? I have a command post on a platform and in a building but when it comes to doing CP3Spawn the nodes are stuck to the floor and I can't change their altitude, only rotate them and move them.
I'll have to work more on nodes, I seem to have an issue where about 40 of my 64 Rebels want to run into a wall :XD: probably due to the nodes for CP3 being placed on the floor and not yet assigned to the actual CP.

Quote from: TheGangstarTY on August 05, 2016, 02:38:38 PM
Also, quick question, how can I get nodes to be place on objects? I have a command post on a platform and in a building but when it comes to doing CP3Spawn the nodes are stuck to the floor and I can't change their altitude, only rotate them and move them.
I'll have to work more on nodes, I seem to have an issue where about 40 of my 64 Rebels want to run into a wall :XD: probably due to the nodes for CP3 being placed on the floor and not yet assigned to the actual CP.

Couple ways to get nodes placed on objects. First off you can select the node then hit shift and move your mouse up and down, this will change the height of the node. Alternatively, find a piece of unused terrain and raise it up to the height you want to the node to be at. Place/move the node to this terrain. Then, on the left find the Lock Heights button. Activate it. You can now move your node around as normal without it being limited to the terrain.

As for the AI running into the wall, that may also be a consequence of not having any paths placed yet for them :P

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

Quote from: Ascertes on August 05, 2016, 02:58:33 PM
Couple ways to get nodes placed on objects. First off you can select the node then hit shift and move your mouse up and down, this will change the height of the node. Alternatively, find a piece of unused terrain and raise it up to the height you want to the node to be at. Place/move the node to this terrain. Then, on the left find the Lock Heights button. Activate it. You can now move your node around as normal without it being limited to the terrain.

As for the AI running into the wall, that may also be a consequence of not having any paths placed yet for them :P

Ah ok, thank you very much for your help! I've decided to leave pathing until the buildings are in the right place and has working vehicles and nodes for both sides. Is pathing easy? Are there any guides you'd recommend? I think I'll be fine with the rest for now, although I'm a bit on edge about adding assets.

Quote from: TheGangstarTY on August 05, 2016, 03:46:00 PM
Ah ok, thank you very much for your help! I've decided to leave pathing until the buildings are in the right place and has working vehicles and nodes for both sides. Is pathing easy? Are there any guides you'd recommend? I think I'll be fine with the rest for now, although I'm a bit on edge about adding assets.

Pathing is probably one of the easiest things to do in ZE :P It functions with paths, and hubs. Hubs are little circles that you place around the map, and the Paths connect the hubs. So if you're in an urban environment, you'd place hubs at intersections in the streets, and the paths would connect those intersections so the AI would just follow along the streets if that makes sense.

You can also edit what types of things will use different paths. Soldiers, tanks, hover vehicles, aircraft, etc.

Quote from: Ascertes on August 05, 2016, 11:07:22 PM
Pathing is probably one of the easiest things to do in ZE :P It functions with paths, and hubs. Hubs are little circles that you place around the map, and the Paths connect the hubs. So if you're in an urban environment, you'd place hubs at intersections in the streets, and the paths would connect those intersections so the AI would just follow along the streets if that makes sense.

You can also edit what types of things will use different paths. Soldiers, tanks, hover vehicles, aircraft, etc.

Ah right, ok. Seems pretty simple :XD: at the moment everyone seems braindead but I guess that'll change once I've almost finished the map. As long as it works then I'm happy. I'll refer back to this when pathing, thanks Ascertes!

If you're looking for guides, this video teaches pathing for Battlefront 2 but I've found the Zeroeditor tools are basically the same for both games when it comes to pathing.

Quote from: swgaming1015 on August 06, 2016, 10:25:55 AM

If you're looking for guides, this video teaches pathing for Battlefront 2 but I've found the Zeroeditor tools are basically the same for both games when it comes to pathing.

Thanks for this! I checked out the pathing and it looks confusing. I'm sure it'll be easy once I know what to do with these things. Also, how do I get nodes to go under the map? They can be elevated but if it goes underneath the surface of the map it will just get stuck and I have to Undo. (I'm trying to put spawn point in a tunnel)

I think I've fixed the vehicles now and I've put the proper skybox on too. The objects are all back to normal

I found that instead of replacing the config.ini file every time I load up Zero Editor, I figured I could just add "FlipModelX = 1" at the end and it saves permanently that way.

EDIT: Just played around with boundries and they seem simple. Are they meant to be fixed to the ground? Since my map is based around Bespin: Cloud City, there's a lot of different levels on the map (currently 4 different levels).

EDIT 2: Another issue has just occurred. I'm placing the main buildings from bes1 and they seem to be floating a little in-game but not in the editor? I've tried locking height but I guess that only works for the editor.