[GANGSTAR'S FIX] Zero Editor "Runtime" and BFBuilder Munging Issue

Started by TheGangstarTY, August 03, 2016, 07:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi all,

As some of you may know, I've recently been having trouble with Zero Editor's Runtime Error and BFBuilder's Munging issues. I am running on Windows 10 with an okay computer (specs listed below) and since ZE and BFB are both old programs, they don't exactly have a great time running on Windows 10. Now I recently fixed these issues found a work around for these issues, or at least I fixed ZE Runtime for me anyway.

PC Specs:
OS - Windows 10
PSU - EVGA NEX 750W
CPU - AMD FX6300 5.0 Black Edition
GPU - Sapphire Dual - X R9 270x
HDD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda (x2), 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500 GB Hitachi Deckstar
RAM - 8GB Ballistix
MOBO - Gigabyte 970A - UD3P

Zero Editor "Runtime Error"

So first of all, how I got this was due to my upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I had this error once on Windows 8.1 and then it fixed until the Windows 10 upgrade. Obviously Windows 10 has destroyed a lot of our favourite programs and I'm here to help with Zero Editor.

Quote from: TheGangstarTY on July 25, 2016, 10:18:36 AM
Phobos suggested using this path:
C:\BFBuilder

I tried that but it didn't work. Instead I just managed to fix my Zero Editor. I got the UPDATED version and moved the folder "BFBuilder" to "C:\LucasArts\" and then loaded up BFBuilder Pro.
When I attempted to edit my map at first, it came up with the same error. However, like what happened on Windows 8.1, the second attempt worked. I was then in Zero Editor. I decided to close it and then "Edit" again and it opened normally. I have no idea why this worked and why it didn't do this for Phobos' suggestion but apparently this works. I'm on Windows 10 Home Build by the way.

I'd recommend you download the latest version of BFBuilder too for this to work:
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=1219

So your bath should be:
C:\LucasArts\BFBuilder

That will hopefully fix your issue. I'd also recommend trying setting BFBuilder Pro and Zero Editor to "Run as Administrator" as sometimes that fixed it for me as well.

BFBuilder Munge Issues

Ok so this is a new one and I don't have an image for this either. However I recently discovered that BFBuilder doesn't work the best on Windows 10. It's something to do with Windows 10 and Batch files by the sounds of it. But besides the point, here's my issue:

Quote from: TheGangstarTY on July 27, 2016, 02:42:34 PM
I have already tried this but it doesn't seem to do anything :confused: Any other ideas?

I found that munging in BBP tells me this error:
Could Not Find C:\BFBuilder\DataHothTest3\_BUILD_PC\Mungelog.txt
\NVIDIA was unexpected at this time.

I have AMD, not NVIDIA which confuses me.

Ascertes suggested this:

Quote from: Ascertes on July 27, 2016, 02:39:34 PM
When you open up Battlefront Builder Pro, hit File and select the dataMod ID that you're working with. You should then have a Munge and clean tab along the top of the BBP interface.

Now, let's go back to the step with the clean and munge batch files. Do those as explained in the guide. After that, hit the Clean then Munge button in the BBP interface. The whole thing will now compile, then you should have your AddOn folder with the lvl file inside.

I hope this make sense?

This didn't work, but may work for you guys. There's also Phobos' suggestion which was to use Bamdur's fix:

Quote from: Phobos on January 30, 2013, 12:36:57 PM
Alternatively there is always bamdurs registry hack method

save as a .reg file and run it
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront]
@=""
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront\1.0]
"CD Key"=""

I did this and this somewhat helped, but still didn't fix the whole munging issue. The reason I suggest this still is if you have Star Wars Battlefront on a different drive to your C: you may have issues and this fixes those. However this still didn't help me 100%.

So how did I fix mine? Since I have a decent PC, I was able to use Oracle's VirtualBox to download Windows XP onto a small, 10 GB VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) on my computer. Alternatively, if you have a spare Windows XP PC, I'd recommend using that instead.
VirtualBox: https://www.virtualbox.org/

So once I was in, I installed the tools like usual and place the "BFBuilder" folder in "C:\LucasArts\" as usual (Pandemic recommends this as the default installation, however a lot of modders tend to put "BFBuilder" in "C:\") and then applied the registry fix.
I then went over to Breakdown's Modding Guide and went through the steps there to test if it works. To my luck, it munged properly and then created an AddOn folder with the edited files I made!

I would recommend these options for your Windows XP virtual machine:
At Minimum:
10 GB of VHD Space.
192 MB of RAM.

I would also recommend you choose a fitting resolution and put your Virtual Machine into full screen for the best experience.

This is not really a fix, like I said, it's more of a work-around. I don't think there really is a fix for munging on Windows 10. If it works on Windows 10 for you, great! If it doesn't, then you'll need a work-around rather than a fix. If someone does find a fix though that'd be awesome!

I hope this helped people, especially on the Zero Editor one since that seems to be a large search result in Google. I also hope that if you have BFBuilder Munging Issues this works for you too. If you need any help or have comments to make be sure to post them on this thread!

Thanks and have a great day!
- TheGangstarTY
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

Glad to hear you finally got your ZE and BBP working! I'm sorry you had to suffer through this as long as you did. Hopefully others will benefit from your discovery so we can keep the modding community alive and well for the years to come  8)

But now that you've fixed it...LET THE MODDING COMMENCE!  :moo:

The moral of the story, though? Don't upgrade to windows 10!
"Birth, pain, fear, death; the cycle of existence." -Dread Master Calphayus.

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

SWBF2 Maps: Space Carida.

Quote from: Ascertes on August 03, 2016, 07:54:13 AM
Glad to hear you finally got your ZE and BBP working! I'm sorry you had to suffer through this as long as you did. Hopefully others will benefit from your discovery so we can keep the modding community alive and well for the years to come  8)

But now that you've fixed it...LET THE MODDING COMMENCE!  :moo:

The moral of the story, though? Don't upgrade to windows 10!

Thanks Ascertes! I can't wait to get into making my first mod... or map. I have so many ideas at the moment. Maps looks confusing to make but I hope I'll get the hang of it quickly. Hopefully this helps more people, it'd be awesome to keep these mods going for even more years than it already has done.

I agree with the story's moral :XD: Windows 10 has been a nightmare in that respect. However I'm not to bothered about it knowing that I will always find some way around an issue one way or another. It's just a matter of how long it takes... and whether it's worth it. In this case it certainly was worth it!

As for my first mod idea, it'll probably be a few Retail Side .odf edits to begin with, then I'll move onto maps. Thanks again for all your help ;)
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123