Multi-Level Death Star Map and what other Death Star Improvements?

Started by deadmeow, July 28, 2013, 11:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
A Death Star Map seems to be a must have in the new Battlefront, but what improvements could be made in a Death Star map??

I think one thing that could be improved, is to have at a minimum 2 levels or floors.  That is 2 floors stacked, one on top of the other, accessible by a large set of stairs or ramps in one area, and just an elevator in another area.

Imagine having an elevator that you have to take to get to the detention level.  And if on the detention level, you blast the elevator controls, the door freezes shut, and can only be opened by blasting it open with a weapon.

They could have a larger trash compactor, with a trash monster in it, that gobbles up 1 out of every 10 that pass thru, haha.

Governor Tarkin would be a good hero for the imperial side.  For the rebels they could have Han Solo with a stormtrooper disguise kit.

Perhaps they could have the throne room from ROTJ's Death Star.

Another interesting option would be to allow troops to move inside the Death Star cannons' firing chamber.  As of now, if you go down into the chamber you die automatically.  But if they make running through the chamber as some sort of short cut, you could have battles there, and then have the cannon fire every 5 minutes or so, wiping out any troops left in the area.

The Death Star map seems too small and bland in SWBF2, but even at small and bland, the Death Star map is one of the best.

Quote from: deadmeow on July 28, 2013, 11:27:57 AM
A Death Star Map seems to be a must have in the new Battlefront, but what improvements could be made in a Death Star map??

I think one thing that could be improved, is to have at a minimum 2 levels or floors.  That is 2 floors stacked, one on top of the other, accessible by a large set of stairs or ramps in one area, and just an elevator in another area.

Imagine having an elevator that you have to take to get to the detention level.  And if on the detention level, you blast the elevator controls, the door freezes shut, and can only be opened by blasting it open with a weapon.

They could have a larger trash compactor, with a trash monster in it, that gobbles up 1 out of every 10 that pass thru, haha.

Governor Tarkin would be a good hero for the imperial side.  For the rebels they could have Han Solo with a stormtrooper disguise kit.

Perhaps they could have the throne room from ROTJ's Death Star.

Another interesting option would be to allow troops to move inside the Death Star cannons' firing chamber.  As of now, if you go down into the chamber you die automatically.  But if they make running through the chamber as some sort of short cut, you could have battles there, and then have the cannon fire every 5 minutes or so, wiping out any troops left in the area.

The Death Star map seems too small and bland in SWBF2, but even at small and bland, the Death Star map is one of the best.

EA needs to read that.

That made me wonder, maybe somebody from EA has visited our site, looking for what people liked about SWBF1 & 2.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

With the amount of stuff Frostbite 3 can do, why stop with 2 floors? Make 5-10 floors! It would be much bigger and more fun to roam around on!

Plus, I like the idea of the cannon firing, perhaps only can be fired through player's control? Have an interactive console for the firing that the player can interact with and fire the cannon whenever (with a recharge time of course). It would make for a very strategic standpoint though if one team has control over the cannon, then the team can simply fire, then have the rest of the team fight the enemy until the cannon is full recharged. In a sense, it's sort of like a "King-of-the-hill" type gameplay.

Trash compactor and detention level are a must have though. Would be cool if they kept the same mechanic of the trash compactor closing in on whoever entered it like in SWBFII, unless the player can find a mechanism or a way to stop the walls from closing (like an EMP grenade). Though of course the walls would only be stopped temporarily. :P

I could think of more ideas, but I'l put them down later, not exactly on a comfortable device for lots of typing. :P

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on July 28, 2013, 01:46:49 PM
With the amount of stuff Frostbite 3 can do, why stop with 2 floors? Make 5-10 floors! It would be much bigger and more fun to roam around on!

I would hate to have to run up 5 floors to kill the last guy.

Honestly I just hope they don't try and pull a big "whoop-dee-do" and mash in all these areas like the BF 2 version. One thing I believe shot the lore/theme in a lot of SWBF maps is that they tried to mash a bunch of memorable areas into a map too small to mount them properly.

Being that they were on a tight schedule and on low end constraints I can understand why they made the choices they did. The reason I say that is because it feels like mashing these areas into inappropriate spaces takes away from their real version in the movies. Honestly I think a really accurate version of the hangar sections would be great. Working elevators connecting other areas would be good but I think they should really try and do it more accurately.

I think it would be great if they added destruction game mode where you had attacker and defender teams to a target. Combine that with Frostbite and the Death Star, we could have the attack run on the exhaust port done like never before.  :tu:

If they stick really close to lore and locations, as well as conveying the right themes then I think this has a chance to be something far greater then all the original games combined. This is of course if they take their time with it. This may end up being a quick money grab with little more then some light game-play and visual fidelity. That, my friends, is what I fear in the downside.
photobucket limit image removed

There was a multi-floored Death Star map in Jedi Knight 2 Multiplayer.
It wasn't especially difficult to navigate, it has roughly 4 floors with interconnecting lifts. If a player tried to hide it would soon  become a cat and mouse sort of experience.

http://www.youtube.com/v/cCcp-vlGhc8?version=3&hl=en_US;allowFullScreen="true"

Movie accurate maps (or maps that feel movie accurate) would be awesome. It's one of the reasons I like Geonosis: Spire so much. It really feels like a scene from AotC. Hoth: Echo Base has the feel also.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on July 30, 2013, 11:31:05 AM
Movie accurate maps (or maps that feel movie accurate) would be awesome. It's one of the reasons I like Geonosis: Spire so much. It really feels like a scene from AotC. Hoth: Echo Base has the feel also.

But just think, a full sized Death Star man. Do you know what this means?

photobucket limit image removed

Well not full size! :rofl:

Just a small portion which would be very movie accurate.

Imagine elevators in SWBFR where you take them up to a level and the enemy has ambushes set up...

While things like a working elevator and a working Death Star laser needs to be put in the map, i think the map should be more like Jaspo's Prison Break map.

I also think if DICE does a campaign for SWBF3 they should have two Death Star missions: 1. a interior mission where you have to save Leia, and 2. a space map where you have to blow up the Death Star
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

August 19, 2013, 07:57:18 AM #10 Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:04:15 AM by {Alpha}Gold Man
Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on August 18, 2013, 08:27:14 PM
I also think if DICE does a campaign for SWBF3 they should have two Death Star missions: 1. a interior mission where you have to save Leia, and 2. a space map where you have to blow up the Death Star

Hmm, to me it just doesn't seem right that way. There are some ways I like to mess with the main characters storyline, but controlling the real guy and doing all the stuff in the movies just doesn't seem right. Maybe if the 1st mission was you were apart of a detachment of stormtroopers sent to take out Han, Luke and Liea before they leave the Death Star, and the second one where you take control as Wedge Antilles while in the Death Star II or something seems to fit more in the Battlefrontian-style of campaigns.