The "Strange things" Thread

Started by Snake, April 26, 2012, 03:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 26, 2012, 03:50:07 PM Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 10:51:54 AM by Snake
There are many lines in .odf and .lua's that are unique to that one file they are in. I decided to make this thread so that if you find one, post it here and if you don't know what it does then hopefully we can figure it out.

To post a line you found please state the name of the .odf or .lua you found it in and then post the actual line.

I found this line in all_weap_inf_mortar_launcher.odf:

ExtremeRange        = "96"

I have never seen that in any other .odf but apparently this weapon has an extreme range.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Extremerange doesn't really even do anything I remember psych0fred saying it was another redundant code somewhere.

The ExtremeRange, is possible just a limit, how the grenade cud fly, after chargeup.
One of the realy strange line, I found, was in com_item_healthrecharge.odf:
[InstanceProperties]
EffectRegion        = ""
I think, it is somehow connected with regions, but how it cud be?
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Hmm, thats very strange, especially since it just has "" which gives us no example. Try removing the line and see what happens.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Sereja on April 26, 2012, 04:43:51 PM
The ExtremeRange, is possible just a limit, how the grenade cud fly, after chargeup.
One of the realy strange line, I found, was in com_item_healthrecharge.odf:
[InstanceProperties]
EffectRegion        = ""
I think, it is somehow connected with regions, but how it cud be?
Well, here is what I think. I've never tested it but. You can either specify a sphere radius around the object for it to heel or manually create a region and define it there of were you want it to heel. This is also a way to create damage regions by setting a negative health value in the object.

April 26, 2012, 04:58:53 PM #5 Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 05:01:42 PM by Phobos
a few interesting lua codes

SetDefenderSnipeRange(170)
- Not tested, my theory is that it may increase or maximize (in terms of weapon ODF range) AI sniper bot shooting range.

SetAllowBlindJetJumps(1)
- Set to 0 by default, set to 1 makes AI jets randomly jump around as if jet nodes were everywhere on the map.

Something else very odd, I keep seeing random Ankh symbols in various ODF files, removing them seems to have no impact on the game.

But, for the spherical radius exist next line:
Radius          = 5.0
It is very hard, to making vacuum for my Polys Massa, cube shaped hangars with spherical radius .odf
It cud be realy nice, if it may lead to cube shaped regions...

Quote from: Sereja on April 26, 2012, 05:04:18 PM
But, for the spherical radius exist next line:
Radius          = 5.0
It is very hard, to making vacuum for my Polys Massa, cube shaped hangars with spherical radius .odf
It cud be realy nice, if it may lead to cube shaped regions...
Yeah, make a region and call it through EffectRegion.

Quote from: Phobos on April 26, 2012, 04:58:53 PM
Something else very odd, I keep seeing random Ankh symbols in various ODF files, removing them seems to have no impact on the game.

Obviously a Logans' Run reference.

As I test it earlyer, this lines in .odf are totaly dead:
[InstanceProperties]
EffectRegion        = ""
Radius          = 5.0
But they works from zeroeditor! Well, at least the radius. I increase it to 99.0, and it's works fine. But with region I have no luck: I create effect region, and add this parameters:
EffectRegion: vacuum
Region ID: vacuum
Propertyes: FoleyFx vacuum
Type: FoleyFx
Gropup I.D. vacuum
I have no result, except, the game is crash after secondary loading. Well, I think it's better then nothing, and this mean, the game is "feel" this line.
The problem is, I probably choose wrong region type, or add some wrong parameters.
It cud be nice, if somebody, more experienced in region making, can test it, and in case of success, post a tutorial for this...

I found this in a non-stock model .odf

GeometryScale         = 0.04

I didn't know this was possible to use in an .odf.  :blink:\

I also tested it out and it works. Although for some reason when I made it smaller and placed it in ZE it moved over several feet in game.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

The scale parameter in .odf must be similar with scale parameters in .msh.option file: .odf woks for zeroeditor view, .msh.option for game.

Ohhh, it all makes sense now, thanks, that helped a lot!
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

I found these lines in cis_hover_mtt.odf

NoCombatInterrupt      = "1"

also,

ScanningRange      = "60.0"
TransmitRange      = "60.0"

The explanation line right above those last two lines is:
Quote// dont know if these are working for vehicles but it would be cool
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

June 08, 2012, 01:25:01 PM #14 Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:42:10 PM by Phobos
Quote from: Snake on June 08, 2012, 12:44:08 PM
I found these lines in cis_hover_mtt.odf

NoCombatInterrupt      = "1"

also,

ScanningRange      = "60.0"
TransmitRange      = "60.0"

The explanation line right above those last two lines is:

Not sure what nocombatinterrupt is for, but the 2nd set of codes you posted I would suggest deleting due to this forums ethical view towards radar. (Edit: According to Led discussion of Radar is allowed) The larger the value, the further distance you can see enemies (red arrows) on your minimap.

Quote from: Psych0fredScanningRange - range within which enemy units show up on the map display
TransmitRange - range within which friendly units receive scan data
(These only affect the map display)