Scripts to replace BFBuilder

Started by SleepKiller, October 26, 2017, 12:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Seeing the need of sereja I spent some time today to create these. They're simple scripts that can create functioning world project folders and add new sides to those project folders.

To install drop them in root folder of your modtools installation. (That is the one with Assets, BFBuilder.hta, Data, DataTemplate, etc in it.)

Usage is simple, double click on add_world.bat to launch it, it will ask you to enter some information about the new world. (Type it in and press Enter.) After which it will create the project folder for you. To add a side to the same except launch add_side.bat.

The scripts are written in batch and VBscript, so I believe it should run on virtually any computer capable of running the modtools. I however make no promise that they're perfect but they seem to get the job done. If you do run into problems however feel free to let me know.

Is this intended to bypass some of the bugginess of the BFBuilder application?
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

Quote from: Gistech on October 26, 2017, 12:52:29 AM
Is this intended to bypass some of the bugginess of the BFBuilder application?
Exactly so. These scripts should be stable and reliable across all versions of Windows. (Well Windows 98 and up to be exact.)

That's pretty neat, a bug-free world-creator has been needed for a while. I'll start using this myself. Thanks, Sleepkiller!
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

Thanks, Sleep Killer! :cheers:
It does work fine exept some weird thing: I tried the clean .bat and it definitely clean something out of my PC, since I got now more then 5GB of the new free space  :o. Just, hope it wasn't delete something important... :confused:
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: Sereja on October 26, 2017, 01:21:28 PM
Thanks, Sleep Killer! :cheers:
It does work fine exept some weird thing: I tried the clean .bat and it definitely clean something out of my PC, since I got now more then 5GB of the new free space  :o. Just, hope it wasn't delete something important... :confused:
I'm glad to here they work. That story of the clean.bat is alarming so I just checked (multiple times) all of the clean.bat's it edits and I can't see anything that would ever let it delete anything outside of the _BUILD_PC and _LVL_PC folders of the project.

Hopefully Windows has just cleaned up some temporary files or something as a coincidence. Let me know if this doesn't appear to have been the case and I can take another look through the scripts and their changes just to safe.

October 26, 2017, 03:57:52 PM #6 Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:40:28 PM by RepComm
It may be useful to make an exact log of every operation performed and dump it into a build.txt file in the map project directory.

Another thing to consider is that Sereja may have had temp files cleared that somehow messed with bfbuilder, of course it doesn't have to be temporary files, either.

edit- Disregard, I am off on both comments. I've been messing with it, and it works great on Windows 8!