Has there been any Progression with Splitscreen?

Started by ETW_Modder, April 27, 2014, 06:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I have always found the idea of having splitscreen for SWBF on my PC very intriguing since my playstation broke, and was pleased to find this thread http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=5621.msg61234#msg61234. However, I have not found any significant progress other than the fact that Phobos stated that it was possible to bypass this.  :confused: So, has any progress been made in making this workable, and how would it be done? 

Ingame, no progress has really been made.  We've gotten the option to show up and could even get past it, but I believe that the SplitScreen is hard coded into the PS2 and Xbox versions, as is their spawn screens.

I've even gotten the PS2 shell to come up at the main screens and had it semi-working, but as far as ingame (on the Battlefront) goes, nothing has worked yet.

Progress would need to be made in the .lua files to call the Splitscreen option at load.  But the issue is whether the Splitscreen is even in the Battlefront.exe.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

It might work if you have 2 controllers for PC. As dark phantom stated the LUA files need to be modified and even then it's not certain if the battlefront exe code supports splitscreen mode for PC.

Is there anywhere I can get the splitscreen mod, because it just so happens I have two controllers that I use on PC.  :cheer:

I can not imagine that it would ever work on a PC.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: ETW_Modder on April 28, 2014, 01:37:01 PM
Is there anywhere I can get the splitscreen mod, because it just so happens I have two controllers that I use on PC.  :cheer:
I will upload a shell mod for you with the splitscreen page enabled. However it is unlikely this will work as intended without Dark Phantom or I modding more LUA scripts as well. You could test the mods though since its currently only possible in theory to enable splitscreen for PC through LUA.

April 29, 2014, 01:11:14 AM #6 Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:52:31 AM by Phobos
Quote from: Led on April 28, 2014, 04:45:24 PM
I can not imagine that it would ever work on a PC.
I have got splitscreen almost working completely now by modding some of the shell scripts.

The ifs_split_profile LUA (the script mod seen here http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=5621.msg61234#msg61234 ) needs to be modified further to support a 2nd player controller but at this point I am ~70% certain that splitscreen mode is possible for PC with the proper script mods. Before, the question of whether the SWBF engine supported a split screen camera view was the main concern, but now we know it does, so it's a simply matter of getting the spawn menu to show up for the 2nd player using the secondary controller, which may or may not be possible through LUA. I will upload a shell mod after more testing.  I'm also thinking a splitscreen mod should work for instant action, galactic conquest, campaigns, and multiplayer (gamespy won't work but tunngle might).

I suspect the spawn menu LUA from common.lvl might need to be modded also so as to take up only half of the screen. Has anyone managed to get the spawn menu from ps2 working on pc? That might work better for splitscreen mode.

Update: The shell now recognizes a controller is plugged in for player 2 but does not allow input from the controller pressing start does nothing. Maybe 2 controllers is needed or further script edits.

April 29, 2014, 01:10:05 PM #7 Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:54:45 AM by Unit 33
I'm glad that you seem to have made significant progress on this.  :tu: Can't wait to see if you can mange to get it working fully!  :D

[EDIT]

Are you continuing this work? It seems nice :tu:

Quote from: ETW_Modder on June 21, 2014, 03:25:25 PM
Are you continuing this work? It seems nice  :tu:
not since the beta shell i sent i am working on improving the common LUA more than shell right now.

September 02, 2014, 05:20:35 PM #10 Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 05:22:36 PM by Carbon27
 Ok ok, old topic, ik. [spoiler] I think Buckler said it's fine to post under old topics as long as it's relevant or something like that, but sorry if this post was something that should be frowned on[/spoiler]

I meant to post this earlier, but I forgot. And I'm not pressuring you to make this (make it if you want). I have a lot of controllers (8), not all "normal" controllers (Wheels, Joysticks, etc), one is "usable" with an FPS as it has two analog sticks. Another is older, and doesn't have two. The rest are weird. Probably useless information, but it's better posted and not needed then p\not posted but needed.  ;) I am willing to test this out if there is still interest in this mod. Heck, somebody even might play the game if it had Split Screen. Again, if nobody cares to work on this don't bother. Or if you ran into a dead end with no other alternatives. Willing to help to the best of my pathetic abilities.

Thanks for reading my probably way annoying crap posts.  :cheers:

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

The thing about it is, we can get it in the shell to be splitscreen, but the ingame part (the actual horizontal Splitscreen on PS2 and Xbox) is in the PS2 and Xbox main "exe" file.  It's down the same road as "we want the spawn screen of the PS2 and Xbox".  Unless some major breakthrough happens, we'd need source code for it.

Although I would personally love to find out about code injecting to attempt to pull from that PS2 file.  That would be awesome.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

I hit a brick wall with the LUA, ran out of ideas to make this mode work. Enabling splitscreen is the easy part, getting the PC executable to recognize a secondary controller may or may not be possible through LUA modding. If anyone else wants to try continuing development of this mod I can post the modified script sources here. Unless I think of another idea for this to work I don't know any way to continue development, but it would be a very interesting mod to have, especially for playing splitscreen campaign mods.

Quote from: Dark_Phantasmagorical on September 02, 2014, 05:50:23 PM
The thing about it is, we can get it in the shell to be splitscreen, but the ingame part (the actual horizontal Splitscreen on PS2 and Xbox) is in the PS2 and Xbox main "exe" file.  It's down the same road as "we want the spawn screen of the PS2 and Xbox".  Unless some major breakthrough happens, we'd need source code for it.

Although I would personally love to find out about code injecting to attempt to pull from that PS2 file.  That would be awesome.
Those methods are way over my head and most likely the only possible method available to us, since the battlefront exe source is not.

Nobody seems to be interested in code injecting, though.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

Not going to happen unless some reverse engineers enter the SWBF1 community.

Trust me we tried this 10 years ago. Nothing has changed.

#TYBG