Modding SWBF in Virtual PC

Started by Ryanoceros, March 15, 2009, 03:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I finally figured out the problem I was having munging in VirtualPC. Thought I'd share so no one else goes through the frustration I did.

When I transfer files from the mac side to the VirtualPC side, some of the file names are mysteriously changed.
Not all of the files are changed, or I would have noticed it much sooner, but just enough files to mess up the munging process.
Solution: just transfer all the files in a .zip from the mac side to the VirtualPC side, and open the .zip directly in VirtualPC. Problem solved!
DO NOT unzip in Mac, and then transfer the files to VirtualPC. File names will change, and the munge will not work!

FYI: I'll be posting the Version 1.0 of the All Troops Fly mod as soon as I finish, likely within a week from now. :)

That's awesome! I'll be waiting for the final result.

#TYBG

Duh. Why didn't I think of that??? Macs store filetype in metadata, eliminating file extensions. When transferring to Virtual PC, it must convert to a file with the extension for compatability. Glad you got it working!

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"

lol I wish you had thought of it :P
No matter, at least it's solved. I was beginning to think it just isn't possible. Its a good thing I noticed it when I did. I was about to call it quits.
I imagine this same problem occurs in any soft windows program, due to the meta data exchange issue that you mentioned.
In fact, I vaguely recollect having this same problem years ago when I need to do some work at home on my mac using Soft Windows. It just didn't occur to me until I noticed it during one of the munging attempts.