Thoughts on Star Wars: Rebels?

Started by Gold Man, October 13, 2014, 08:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys, so tonight, at this somewhat late-hour, I have decided to pop the question:

What do you guys think of Star Wars: Rebels so far?

The series has already had 3 episodes (with the 4th airing tomorrow, I believe), and I believe it's about to time to start seeing what people's initial reactions are to the Ralph McQuarrie-inspired series. Personally, I kind of like it. It's a unique twist on the Imperial era (granted that's because Disney's killed off everything but the films and recent shows), but it has a beat on its own. The allusions to the previous Clone Wars series are somewhat minuscule (for the time being), but noticeable regardless.

The opening episode(s) have been unique for sure. Definitely a much different way to start off the series than what The Clone Wars had (a simple title, quote, debrief, and episode), whereas this show has more of a "preview-2-minutes-of-episode, show title, and continue", sort of opening. It doesn't really get you up to speed, and leaves the viewer wondering what will happen next.

I know I'm counting all my eggs before they hatch here, but I'd just like to hear people's initial responses to the first 3 episode so far.

I haven't seen them yet (don't have DisXD, gunna have to get it on DVD), but i'm glad to hear people are liking it. I was really worried about this show, and the future of Star Wars in general.

As always I'm very excited for this show! It doesn't take much to please me in terms of Star Wars and I have absolutely loved the first 2 episodes (Spark of Rebellion and Droids in Distress).
I like the style of the show and all the call backs to Ralph are wonderful. I really can't say enough good stuff about it other than I can't wait to see what Dave Filoni and team have in store for us!
I don't have cable anymore so I just watch them via iTunes. Spark was $8 and to get a season pass for Rebels Season one is $30. I think that's great compared to the price of cable and to be realistic I was going to buy the episodes anyways. Getting them in HD with no commercials and watching them whenever I want is great!

There is a slight change with the Stormtrooper masks that really bugs me. Lol
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

It's alright. Feels like a very watered down version of Firefly.

I actually like it a lot but there are a few issues:

It should focus on the actual Rebel Alliance (It probably will later on)
More connections to it's predecessor (Maybe bring back Ashoka)
It seems a bit more childish compared to Clone Wars, but it helps as comic relief sometimes

Overall it's a great show and I can't wait to see more episodes.
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on October 26, 2014, 10:49:33 AM
I actually like it a lot but there are a few issues:

It should focus on the actual Rebel Alliance (It probably will later on)
More connections to it's predecessor (Maybe bring back Ashoka)
It seems a bit more childish compared to Clone Wars, but it helps as comic relief sometimes

Overall it's a great show and I can't wait to see more episodes.
Part of the reason it isn't focused on the Rebel Alliance is because the Rebel Alliance hasn't been formed yet in the series' timeline. However, assuming the series does well (because shows on Disney XD have a high mortality rate) and actually achieves around 4-5 seasons, there is a likelihood for them forming the Rebel Alliance (or at least playing a part in it).

Allusions to The Clone Wars are kind of inevitable I'd think, more so with Ahsoka than anyone else. Perhaps seeing Lux Bonteri, or even some other characters briefly mentioned in The Clone Wars would help maintain the healthy following The Clone Wars had.

The childish feel of Rebels is no doubt thanks to Disney. At least with Cartoon Network and LucasFilm as themselves they had more liberty to make darker episodes in The Clone Wars later on. As for Rebels though, Disney might push Filoni to do less on the darker side of things, and focus more on kid-friendly material. Then again, I have seen a few shows on Disney XD that did have dark episodes, but then again, those shows were cancelled after one season.

Anyways, the future for Rebels remains uncertain with only 4 episodes in, however there is still the ever-present possibility of them renewing it regardless of episode content.

Unfortunately for me I missed the first 10ish episodes, going to pray for a marathon when the season is over.

I have watched multiple episodes. It did seem a bit childish, but I expected that. I did like the mix of characters in the story. The show was so cliché though.  And everything works out all nice and dandy in the end, nothing really bad ever happens. I hate that. :rant: If I feel as if I know what's going to happen, I won't watch. The show wasn't too bad, and maybe I'm being a bit harsh. It certainly has potential, but I doubt it will ever live up to it's full potential.

As a new Star Wars geek (yes, it happened to me) I would love to watch the Clone Wars series and compare it to Rebels.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

October 27, 2014, 05:42:29 AM #8 Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 01:56:40 PM by Gold Man
Quote from: Carbon27 on October 26, 2014, 04:42:55 PM
        Unfortunately for me I missed the first 10ish episodes, going to pray for a marathon when the season is over.

I have watched multiple episodes. It did seem a bit childish, but I expected that. I did like the mix of characters in the story. The show was so cliché though.  And everything works out all nice and dandy in the end, nothing really bad ever happens. I hate that. :rant: If I feel as if I know what's going to happen, I won't watch. The show wasn't too bad, and maybe I'm being a bit harsh. It certainly has potential, but I doubt it will ever live up to it's full potential.

As a new Star Wars geek (yes, it happened to me) I would love to watch the Clone Wars series and compare it to Rebels.
Allow me to get you started then:
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
http://www.watchcartoononline.com/star-wars-the-clone-wars-season-1-episode-1-ambush-2

Star Wars: Rebels
http://kissanime.com/G/415077?l=http%3a%2f%2fkissanime.com%2fAnime%2fStar-Wars-Rebels

Quote from: Gold Man on October 27, 2014, 05:42:29 AM
Allow me to get you started then:
http://www.watchcartoononline.com/star-wars-the-clone-wars-season-1-episode-1-ambush-2
I know I can't watch it online. I have an internet data limit, and it's not big enough to do long videos.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Quote from: Carbon27 on October 27, 2014, 06:34:29 AM
I know I can't watch it online. I have an internet data limit, and it's not big enough to do long videos.
Oh, then I suppose you can probably find the first season or something at your local Wal-Mart or Target :P.

I watched the first episode today. It's kind of entertaining, but I agree, it is too cliche and childish. I hate that laser slingshot thing the main character has.

Quote from: {PLA} Van STING on October 27, 2014, 06:05:53 PM
I watched the first episode today. It's kind of entertaining, but I agree, it is too cliche and childish. I hate that laser slingshot thing the main character has.
I'l admit, of all the stuff, that slingshot does irk me a little. It does no damage (not even a stun effect!), and is primarily used to simply irritate the enemy. However, perhaps as the show progresses, we might see him actually using it less and less. It would be nice to eventually see Ezra using the Force over such a weak weapon (if it should even be called that).

Quote from: {PLA} Van STING on October 27, 2014, 06:05:53 PM
Watch all the way to episode five. get back to me after that one, you might be surprized like I was.
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

I watched the premiere a few days ago but forgot to post about it. It seems like a good program, but I do agree that it's somewhat cheesy, cliche and overly childish. There are several TCW episodes I like better. Hopefully the rest of the series I'll like better. I'm somewhat put off with two of the main characters being force-sensitive, since I liked to believe that Luke was the last of the Jedi by Episode VI, and I don't think they're gunna kill off the kid. Just to be clear: I didn't watch any other episodes, just the pilot.