Anyone else got this recently?

Started by Gold Man, November 24, 2013, 07:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys, got some issue. Ok, so my parents run a Windows 7 desktop PC, with Norton Internet Security 2014 installed. Whenever we open up either Internet Explorer or Google Chrome, we always get this message (image attached below). We tried a Full System Scan off Norton, and it still hasn't gone away. We know it's most likely a virus advert, but we want to get rid of it. Anyone got ideas on how to remove it? Please don't say to download another anti-virus/anti-malware software, we already have Norton on our PC, we don't want another.

As far as we know, the message doesn't mess up our system, however it is a nuisance and we would like to get rid of it.

Adware, what fun..

Norton is evil, I strongly recommend not using that. That and McAfee, they're monsters..

Hmm.... I've had a similar problem like that before. It's good you've already tried wiping it. But don't just really on security, see what other files may have had this, such as mods you've downloaded that were kinda shady. Then, if no work, create new accounts on the computer, and transfer only the files you need and use most. Try to avoid unnecessary files, such as mods or the infected program... then the new account should work perfect, and you can delete the old account if so. Just be careful, that may or may not work. It did for me.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Yes, make a new administrator account.  And although you say you don't want more software, you should use MalwareBytes to get rid of it.

Failing that, google what is says on that screen cap, and you can probably get instructions for how to handle it.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

If it some how helps, I use Malware bytes and SpyBot S&D (I like, never have viruses.. Do you have any idea how much crap I download per week? :P )

Quote from: Buckler on November 24, 2013, 07:46:39 PM
Yes, make a new administrator account.  And although you say you don't want more software, you should use MalwareBytes to get rid of it.

Failing that, google what is says on that screen cap, and you can probably get instructions for how to handle it.

I appreciate all the help, I actually wasn't expecting such fast replies!

The thing I don't understand though is how it got on in the first place. My parents never download stuff on that computer, and my brother is the only one who uses it frequently, but all he does is watch videos. It must've gotten in through a browser cookie somehow... :dry:

I might try the new admin account idea though. If it doesn't work then I guess I'l need to install MalwareBytes to get rid of it. *sigh*

Also, I did try looking it up before, all I got was some answer boards suggesting anti-virus software, nothing else.

Actually, I might try clearing Internet Explorer's browsing history now that I think about it. If it was linked to the browser history, then I'l just clear the cache and see if that does anything. If worse comes to worse though, I try what you guys suggested. :P

You don't have to do anything for a malicious bit of advertising code to mess things up. You aren't in control of what advertising sites send you. Just what you run on your machine.

Use updated security software (Even the free MS stuff is pretty capable from my observations) and don't be afraid to adapt your security measures if things get weird. The folks making scam/spam ads are always changing.

Be strict in what you restrict on the machine. Make Java ask permission to run, same with Javascript. Don't let flash do anything automatically. Those are settings in your control panel and internet settings that most security software either doesn't touch, or allows the user to override, making the computer more vulnerable for the sake of convenience. Having to click "ok" a lot is better than suddenly losing control of your administrator account on you desktop and having to jump through system recovery hoops to fix it.

I like that you use adblock. It's the only software I have found that helps keep my blood pressure low. (I even use it on this site to cull annoying images.)

i could be wrong but sounds like a malicious proxy to me.
in internet explorer go to
Tools>Internet options>Connections>LAN Settings
make sure all of the options are unticked, and restart internet explorer.

chrome
Wrench menu>Settings>Change proxy settings>LAN Settings
make sure a proxy isn't being used here

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on November 24, 2013, 07:21:13 PM
Hey guys, got some issue. Ok, so my parents run a Windows 7 desktop PC, with Norton Internet Security 2014 installed. Whenever we open up either Internet Explorer or Google Chrome, we always get this message (image attached below). We tried a Full System Scan off Norton, and it still hasn't gone away. We know it's most likely a virus advert, but we want to get rid of it. Anyone got ideas on how to remove it? Please don't say to download another anti-virus/anti-malware software, we already have Norton on our PC, we don't want another.

As far as we know, the message doesn't mess up our system, however it is a nuisance and we would like to get rid of it.

Have you downloaded something that asked you to look into other products? Did it asks you about Sweetpacks? Sweetpacks illegally downloads onto your computer, even if you do NOT agree to downloading it. It is very tricky to remove, normal setting changes don't help. And virus protection doesn't always help.
whatever thing this is, it's not going to be easy to remove.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Quote from: Carbon27 on November 25, 2013, 03:58:39 AM
Have you downloaded something that asked you to look into other products? Did it asks you about Sweetpacks? Sweetpacks illegally downloads onto your computer, even if you do NOT agree to downloading it. It is very tricky to remove, normal setting changes don't help. And virus protection doesn't always help.
whatever thing this is, it's not going to be easy to remove.

I have no idea. The thing is, my bro is the only one who uses it, however he has a brain problem (not kidding, he actually does), so he won't tell me if anything did happen. My parents did say though that he was watching videos off other sites recently, so I believe he contracted the thing while watching a video on another site.

Anyways, I'l probably try out these methods once I get back from school today, hopefully.

Malwarebytes will help you out.

Adblock's your friend next time you're browsing videos. It really goes a long way.

#TYBG

Odd that I've never had this issue...ever. :P

[spoiler][/spoiler]

This is what I get on Firefox with adblack enabled (my normal browser is Google Chrome, though).
When I disable adblock, I get the similar things as you did.

It's Conduit and I think it's pretty innocuous.

http://imgur.com/ahi1wtk

Quote from: Kit Fisto on November 25, 2013, 07:07:03 AM
Odd that I've never had this issue...ever. :P

[spoiler][/spoiler]

It's because le OSX is le completely immune to viruses!!!!!!!one111!!

jk, its cuz nobody cares

Quote from: BlackScorpion on November 25, 2013, 09:18:01 AM
This is what I get on Firefox with adblack enabled (my normal browser is Google Chrome, though).
When I disable adblock, I get the similar things as you did.

It's Conduit and I think it's pretty innocuous.

http://imgur.com/ahi1wtk

It's because le OSX is le completely immune to viruses!!!!!!!one111!!

jk, its cuz nobody cares
Conduit has slipped past Adblock+ on my Firefox browser, I had to really fight to get it off my computer..

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on November 25, 2013, 12:27:07 PM
Conduit has slipped past Adblock+ on my Firefox browser, I had to really fight to get it off my computer..

And tell me how you managed to fight this Conduit? Because from the screenie that BlackScorpion posted in his link, I'd say I've run into the same issue.