Anyone know of some good freeware FPS games?

Started by Gold Man, September 28, 2013, 08:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys, figured I'd throw this out there. Since I won't be playing SWBF until Thanksgiving at the latest (my parents will let me play the games during breaks), I wondered if any of you guys knew some good freeware FPS games. Basically, games that don't require Steam or money to really play, just download-from-the-site-and-join-the-fun sort of games.

The type of freeware FPS game I'm looking for has:

• A good friendly community
  • Little to no blood/gore (if possible)
  • Multiplayer (obviously)
  • Modding support (optional)
  • Works well on old machines (my overheating laptop :P)

I'l admit off the bat I've gone searching for these sorts of games, but none that I've found that really appeal to my list. If you guys know any, perhaps post the website link and add-in a brief description/video of the game in your post? Thanks!

its not free but its only 7 bucks, its called Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour, its for iOS, and Android (so you can play anywhere and not have to worry about overheating laptops) it has a campaign AND a multiplayer its pretty fun but depending on what phone you have the graphics may differ on my phone there pretty lowrez and geometric but when I see it on my friends ipod the graphics are much better. but any-who its really fun and totally worth 7 bucks
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

microvolts is free, but it is third person.  Steam is not required.

www.microvolts.com

It had an update recently so it is probably easier if you are just now starting it (as opposed to being used to how it was).
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

http://www.redeclipse.net/
It's a Quake-style shooter, but with wall-running elements. It's fairly old, but there's still a large community, and there are loads of different gamemodes. It also comes with map-creation tools. The graphics are pretty low-spec, so it will run on just about anything.

<insert witty signature here>

-Warface
-Blacklight Retribution
-Planetside 2
-Ghost Recon online
-APB reloaded

Quote from: Disciple on September 28, 2013, 10:52:45 AM
-Warface
-Blacklight Retribution
-Planetside 2
-Ghost Recon online
-APB reloaded
Most to all of those require Steam, as far as I know  :confused:

<insert witty signature here>

From what i remember only Plantside and Blacklight does require steam.

Assault Cube - http://assault.cubers.net/

It's open source and is constantly being developed. Although it hasn't had an update in almost three years. But these are people who donate their time to work on it and the next update does supposedly contain a load of nice new features.

The graphics aren't the prettiest, but if you can look past that there is fast paced gameplay just waiting to be discovered. Oh and it runs on just about anything. Small to download as well, around 40MB if I remember correctly.

Thanks guys for the suggestions, the reason I brought up this post was to see what you guys thought would be a good freeware shooter for me. I've looked over the suggestions you guys mentioned, and of all of them, the only one that strikes my interest is actually Red Eclipse. I've seen the gameplay and seen what the game can do (like RC said, you can make your own maps with the games map-maker), and have really pondered it. Another game that I've actually looked at based from Google searches, is called Warsow. From the gameplay it looks like a Quake-style shooter, however I've still debated whether or not to download it.

To put it simply my two options that I've picked are Red Eclipse, and Warsow. Red Eclipse because of it's map editing and overall balance and additions, and Warsow because of it's TRON: Legacy-esque feel and balanced appeal. I haven't downloaded them yet though, so I'm still wondering if I will actually download and play them, or keep true to my self-discipline from PC gaming.  :nervous:

If anyone's curious about Warsow though, feel free to check it out:

http://www.warsow.net