How do I edit .lvl files, and develop my own maps?

Started by ThePlushieZone, January 03, 2018, 03:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello everyone, I need some help. I've been learning more and more about how Battlefront II on PS2 works, and how it reacts to certain .lvl files, whether i'ts a PSP .lvl, or a PC one, I need to be able to edit a few .tga's or whatever i'ts called. Do any of you guys know if there is a free and safe software where I can do these things?

I've made my own Smash Bros Brawl stages before, so I want to work on making my own maps for Star Wars Battlefront II, and manually port PC maps...

If there is a download for this, can it be a Mediafire, or Google Drive? I don't trust FileZilla, Moddb, or anything else....

Thank you and may the force be with you....  8)

January 03, 2018, 07:30:15 PM #1 Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 07:32:37 PM by The Phantom of Christmas Present
For "editing" lvl files, you need the SWBF2 mod tools.  I think they are floating around here somewhere on the downloads page.  Hex editing is really the only other way - and its tough to put your own stuff in using hex.

I'm also not sure on your selection of download locations - someone would have to re-upload the tools again, when they are already out there on reputable websites (like this one).

Edit: here be them - please note these are for PC, and you will have to do digging for the correct settings for PS2.  http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=436
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

I thought .lvl files can't be edited
My YouTube Gaming Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/R6GFL1993
Don't forget to subscribe, and like my videos!

.lvl files can only be edited using hex editors.  This is very rudimentary editing and generally you only want to do something like mission files, or adding special attributes to side.lvl files with .msh files (like adding glassy effects or specularity).

There are also ways to manually add other compiled stuff to .lvl files - but when you have builders, this is unnecessary and not well explored anyway.

This is why we recommend you don't edit the .lvl files directly unless you have a very specific purpose in mind.  Otherwise, use builders and create new ones.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

My swbf-unmunge tool can 'explode' an .lvl file into it's discrete chunks, it can then reassemble them into a working lvl file again. It will obviously take care of things like chunk size tags for you, if you want to edit .lvl files directly then that is the best way.

But as Phantom was saying using the modtools themselves is a far better option, with the right configuration they can create custom content for the console version of the game just fine. (I think on Gametoast you can find preconfigured PS2 munge scripts.)

Ok first of all, I downloaded the SWBFII mod tools, but binkw32.bin is missing! And I can make new .lvl's I'm not looking into modifieng them!

I wish Pandemic gave us the software they used to make that game, i'ts obvious the software they distributed, is not entirely the same!

Thank you everyone for the help!