Computer Lockup

Started by Jedikiller, July 23, 2010, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey tech experts-

I'm having some big problems with my Asus G73Jh.

The problem is that it will completely lock up on attempting to start any program. It freezes, and the screen stays stuck on whatever it was doing. Nothing will happen, and the computer goes noticeably quieter. The problem does not come about in Safe Mode, as I am able to launch Firefox and the like. I am thinking the issue is with the display drivers, so I installed the latest ones for the 5870M. Once installed, they did nothing to help solve the issue. If anything, the system worked better without them- no crashes then.

Programs that this has been experienced with are Trillian, Xfire, Steam, and Firefox 4.0. All of these have at one time or another caused the computer to go completely unresponsive.

I'm worried, because this is a very expensive laptop and I would hate to have it die on me. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

is it possible to downgrade your drivers?

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

Quote from: Soap Mactavish on July 23, 2010, 04:58:11 PM
is it possible to downgrade your drivers?
Yes, it is, but I don't know what to downgrade them to. I didn't upgrade them until today (so it can't be blamed on a new version), and it didn't make any difference in the problem. I've considered reinstalling Windows entirely to revert it to its state out of the box, but I don't want to go through that hassle unless I have to.

Update: I figured out the problem. I had messed with the Realtek audio control panel and apparently accidentally activated some conflicting drivers. The solution was to remove every single Creative product on the system. Everything works now. :D