How to Play SWBF1 on Mac 10.5.8 or higher

Started by Kit Fisto, October 28, 2012, 05:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Feels good to be back, I haven't been to these forums in over..  I dunno.. At least a couple of years..! Anyways..

Thanks for the tutorial! Although neither the video or text-tutorial seems to work for me, and I think somehow the problem is with my disc.

You see, when you double-click your disc you find a lot of files, but when I double-click my disc I start the installer. This is how it looks to me compared to you.

Any idea what's going on?

You have to have a PC COPY of the game for this to work, not the Mac version.

I see, thanks. I thought it meant that you just had to have a real CD/DVD to any P(ersonal)C(omputer), not speciefically a windows copy.

I think this kind of belongs in this topic...
I have a friend who wishes to come back to SWBF and play.  The problem is, he has a Mac now I believe. 
In theory, couldn't you run the WINE wrapper program in a Mac and, with some tinkering maybe, use PC version of Gameranger to play the PC version of SWBF?  I have seen forums that say that Tunngle either doesn't work or is very buggy when it comes to WINE.  No native Mac port in sight for a long time.
Thanks!
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on March 09, 2014, 09:22:37 PM
I think this kind of belongs in this topic...
I have a friend who wishes to come back to SWBF and play.  The problem is, he has a Mac now I believe. 
In theory, couldn't you run the WINE wrapper program in a Mac and, with some tinkering maybe, use PC version of Gameranger to play the PC version of SWBF?  I have seen forums that say that Tunngle either doesn't work or is very buggy when it comes to WINE.  No native Mac port in sight for a long time.
Thanks!

Right, he can play, but not on tunngle. There are some other VPN programs that might work for him though, but he would need to find someone to play MP with. 

The other option is to go native MAC and use GameRanger, and look for a Mac game, but that is for an old OS version.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Well, he would like to play with us again, that's why I suggested the PC version.  The only way I know of currently for PCs to play with Mac versions online was DC, which is dead.  I'm not sure of any other program that would go cross platform with Star Wars Battlefront other than Gameranger (which doesn't work right for SWBF).

So, I was hoping with the Windows version of Gameranger, and a Windows version of SWBF, he could just run both programs in Wine to play with Windows gamers.

'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on March 10, 2014, 05:26:30 AM
Well, he would like to play with us again, that's why I suggested the PC version.  The only way I know of currently for PCs to play with Mac versions online was DC, which is dead.  I'm not sure of any other program that would go cross platform with Star Wars Battlefront other than Gameranger (which doesn't work right for SWBF).

So, I was hoping with the Windows version of Gameranger, and a Windows version of SWBF, he could just run both programs in Wine to play with Windows gamers.

This may not be the place to ask this, but can't he just use BootCamp on his Mac? Or does BootCamp itself have limitations on a Mac?

BootCamp requires a Windows installation, which I am under the impression he doesn't have.  Otherwise everything would work just fine.

Pretty sure the GR community is dead. I haven't any signs of intelligible life over there in quite some time.
Kit may know better.

Windows GR is dead too. theres rarely ever a server open and if it is its passworded.

Quote from: Ltin on March 10, 2014, 01:31:05 PM
Windows GR is dead too. theres rarely ever a server open and if it is its passworded.

I'm logged into GR at the moment, and it appears there are atleast 3 or 4 open servers. Whether or not the players are "intelligent" or "skilled" is still up for debate.

We would be trying to host a server rather than use the ones that may be up.  Basically, it's a long shot to get a Windows game to play on a Mac and be able to play online using the Windows GR.

The only way for the native Mac version of SWBF and PC players to play together is through LAN. DC did work but alas...

Your friend can run any version of Mac OS X and use the port mentioned in the first post. However the only way to play multiplayer is through LAN. DC only works for the port if someone has some sort of server. Led and I got it to work once I think.

So just go over to your friends house and bring your computer (or vice versa) and play via LAN. It's the best way to play since you can talk to each other in.....REAL LIFE! Da du du.
;)

Hope that helped!

Quote from: Kit Fisto on March 13, 2014, 06:30:25 PM
So just go over to your friends house and bring your computer (or vice versa) and play via LAN. It's the best way to play since you can talk to each other in.....REAL LIFE! Da du du.
;)

That would be great.  Except he's in England.  I'm in America.  Hence the usage of VLAN.
But, how did you get it to work over LAN with VLAN?  Direct Connect days are done without a master server working, and VLAN programs are usually tailored towards Windows with the exception of GR which doesn't support cross-platform even though it says it does.

You might try Himachi--i think it supports both Mac and PC.  In general use, it only allows for  8 free connections, but it might be fine for this use.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet