[WIP] Supplies Outpost

Started by Epifire, July 24, 2013, 05:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
That looks to be one of the best maps I've seen and this is just a WIP. Nice to see your back on this project, (Honestly I didn't know that you stopped working on this :D)
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Why thank-you!  Just as a reminder, once this is done, all the assets and textures will be made available to whoever wants to use them. Well as long as credit is given where credit is due.  ;)
photobucket limit image removed

Awesome! It's good to have you back in SWBF1, Ep.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

It's looking pretty darn fruity to me!

I feel like I'm almost spamming at this point, but this is my last screen for the night as I'm pretty tired of working all day on this stuff...

Not sure if my specular maps are working or not in that shot but all those panels there (should be running it). Also another good thing is I finally got my glow/emissive to work for light panels (actually accomplished it by accident). More to do tomorrow though as I'm gonna keep filling in the rest!

Welp time for another update. Been working a lot on the lighting end of things tweaking sky settings as well as point lights. While the glow/emissive options are working fantastic, I'm still having a really annoying issue with point lights that flicker on and off depending how near or far I am to them. I also am wanting to change the sky material again, as I'm getting the feeling this one is too noisy.

After much work over the past two days I'm nearly finished with the current texture set for the buildings...

SOOOOO much texture work but I think I'm finally getting near the end detailing so many ambient occlusion maps. If anyone has any ideas why my hp_lights keep flickering though, give me a heads up. I'm at my whits end with trying to figure that out atm.

HNNNG! Its.. amazing. If you are interested there is a tool out now that can make higher res terrain. It can reduce the grid size up to 1/8. It would help the terrain to match the quality of your models.

I think it may just be the games way of trying to limit overload lag. You could try increasing the nearscene and farscene ranges but it could cause the game to slow down.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

try setting the light memory pool to something high

QuoteSetMemoryPoolSize("EntityLight", 80, 80) -- stupid trickery to actually set lights to 80

Well tried a number of different things here, increasing the memory pool seemed to have no effect on it and neither did, increasing the near/far range. One thing to note is even if the light flickers off I still can see it's effect on the soldier ans 1st person mesh. Not sure what that means, but is there a light entity setting that would end up causing this?

@MileHighGuy, I would very much like to see this terrain tool you mentioned.

June 04, 2014, 08:29:59 PM #86 Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 08:32:38 PM by MileHighGuy
http://gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=29691

You have to convert the generated terrain into swbf1 format. It works, I've done it myself.

info can be found in this topic http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=4130.msg42983#msg42983

Just feed it a black tga file, the terrain size is based on resolution

I would use -g 3 -b options (grid size of 3 and bordered)

If you use an actual heightmap, and if you want really high mountains use -m -327 -M 327 (color grey would be height zero with those)  these lines determine the min (black) and max (white) heights.

Well I got another one. I get a warning message in the munger which states something along the following

Quote from: Angry Munge Error"Warning: _CreatShadowMesh<bone:Storage_Facility,lod:>: ignoring duplicate tri"

Small update. Getting back to work on the turret, and I decided I hated how little detail there was (especially around the base where troops could walk). So as I'm baking sections down I decided I was gonna pack some more details in on the foundation...

Other than that I really don't know much about making the thing into a turret. The thing is, it's gonna be a combination of structure and turret you can hop in. It will be indestructible and will only be able to be mounted through a control center underneath it/underground.

I've never built anything you can pilot, or control so I'm gonna need some advice on how to do this. I wanted to have custom firing animation (barrel recoil basically) a custom 1st person scope (that looks like a control console screen) and heavy laser sounds. I'm not sure what's available for sounds to use for it but that's pretty much what I had in mind for it.

Wow! did you do this in xsi? What did you do to get it so symmetrical and uniform?