The real truth why SWBF died

Started by WusiBabyEater, July 26, 2013, 04:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 26, 2013, 08:38:51 PM #30 Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 08:41:31 PM by Kit Fisto
Well said Tirpider. People like you are why I haven't left SWBFI completely.

EDIT: Oh and what's this constant talk about having "skill" at SWBFI? I though intense people like that were reserved for the modern shooters. I always thought SWBFI online was so great because no one cared if they were good or bad. They just had fun. Maybe the online community (excluding modding communities) has changed dramatically since the server purge.

Quote from: WusiBabyEater on July 26, 2013, 08:33:14 PM

Sorry but I don't want to waist my money on a dead game and if you haven't realized there's like 8 different PLA servers what other choice do I have?

It is very easy to host from home now.  Much easier to do that with tunngle than with gamespy.  So your choice is to host your own server.  We have helpful guides right here on this very website.

I have also made servers for other clans, and they can do what they want.  If someone from WUSI asks me, I might even make a server for WUSI. 

But if you make your own server, you can even ban me!

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: tirpider on July 26, 2013, 08:36:30 PM
I'm honestly surprised this is still here.

You can talk the good talk about freedom of speech, ect, but the truth of the matter is this particular forum is not public property. It is a privately run forum.

Anything said here is like being invited into the owner's house and saying it there.
I speculate that Buckler wanted to let you have your say and attempt to address some of your contention. That's a credit to his patience.  If it were my house, I would have tossed this right out on it's ear.

Keep it simple man.  If you do not like the rules (which are designed to foster civility across the widest audience) then don't participate.  You can find a happy home in some other forum/server/game that fits your ideas about freedom and fun.  You can even start your own.  But busting into a room where folks are talking and declaring it oppressive and dead while everyone just turns to look at you then going back to their conversations? That must feel awkward.

As for SWBF being dead.. well, ok then.  It seems to be functioning perfectly fine on my end and daily posts seem to indicate some kind of life happening.  Perhaps it was just the bad parts that died and all that's left is a small group of communities (yep, plural because we aren't the only active SWBF board) continuing on like nothing happened because that dead part wont be missed.

Just my 2 cents.. I still have a problem with troll feeding, sorry all.

Why do I have to keep repeating myself in this thread? My original post wasn't all about led. He edited it so it would be about him lol and I would be happy to go to another server but there one problem....what other server? all I see is empty PLA servers because he banned everyone. hmmmm...I wonder why?

Quote from: WusiBabyEater on July 26, 2013, 08:47:35 PM
Why do I have to keep repeating myself in this thread? My original post wasn't all about led.

I read your original post. I reported it as insulting, nonproductive and not relevant to anything.

Quote from: WusiBabyEater on July 26, 2013, 08:47:35 PMwhat other server?

The one you start?
It doesn't cost money to run a dedicated server. (it never has unless you want more player slots)

Other than getting the word out about the truth-as-you-see-it, is there something you want to accomplish?
As stated above, there are threads discussing the details about starting a SWBF server on-site, and the way this is going, I am willing to bet everyone will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about this.

If you go that route, I'd like to volunteer to be on the ban list with Buckler. I'd wear it as a badge of honor.

This thread is now about the MLB.
Discuss.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on July 26, 2013, 08:38:51 PM
Well said Tirpider. People like you are why I haven't left SWBFI completely.

EDIT: Oh and what's this constant talk about having "skill" at SWBFI? I though intense people like that were reserved for the modern shooters. I always thought SWBFI online was so great because no one cared if they were good or bad. They just had fun. Maybe the online community (excluding modding communities) has changed dramatically since the server purge.

Nice trolling but here's a news flash dude, the majority of the core members of swbf were/are all competitive and strive to become great players. You think people play 9 years just for fun? Why would anybody play forever? I don't think they would have played for 9 years if they weren't trying to get good at the game. Skilled players kept the game fun and all the most active clans except for PLA were competitive.

July 26, 2013, 09:10:03 PM #36 Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:13:01 PM by Buckler
Quote from: tirpider on July 26, 2013, 08:36:30 PM

You can talk the good talk about freedom of speech, ect, but the truth of the matter is this particular forum is not public property. It is a privately run forum.

I once had a player tell me he was going to get a lawyer because I violated his right to free speech (cursing) on my server.

I always imagined that the conversation would go something like this:

Lawyer = Blue
player = black

Welcome to my office...Mr...oh, I see it, Mr. DarthNoobSlayer.  Please have a seat.  What can I do for you?

I feel my constitutional right to free speech has been violated.

Oh!  That is very serious.  Our nation is founded on the constitution.  Please explain.

I was banned by {PLA} Led.

Oh, banning sounds terrible.  Did this involve a physical altercation on public property?

Well, no, I was playing this game called StarWars Battlefront, and I let loose with some expletives in the game server--I mean, this noob came up behind me and shot me, so I was justified and all--and {PLA} Led banned me.

Oh, that does sound terrible.  How can we reach this {PLA} Led?

Well, he plays the game from about 7 PM to 9 PM central time.

Is that his real name, Mr. DarthNoobSlayer?

Well, no.

And you were in his private game server?

Yes.

And he made you aware of the rules?

Yes.

And the server is private property?

Yes.

And did this Mr. {PLA} Led keep you from cursing out loud at your own home?  Or did he keep you from making your own server so that you could curse all you want in it?

No.  I want to curse in his server.

I'm sorry Mr. DarthNoobSlayer, we don't have a constitutional case here.

But have you ever been in an auto accident with a big rig?.....

July 26, 2013, 09:11:35 PM #37 Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:46:59 PM by Phobos
Although I have not read every post yet here, I agree and disagree with many points in this thread, but I do not believe that SWBF is dead. I think it is dying, and the fact the remaining players can't seem to get along or agree on things means it is dying even faster.

The main blow to our community was when gamespy shut down MP servers. What clan servers are left, FC, PLA, UEF, etc. all have completely different set of standards for their players. There are several reasons I stopped playing in the PLA sever completely, points some of you may have brought up which I don't need to emphasize. However I will mention a historical fact, that PLA never banned people for using radar until gamespy shut down. Establishing this rule prior to the shut down would have likely resulted in a greater acceptance ratio of this new rule by the rest of this community, IMO. But it is Leds choice to enforce any rule he wants in his servers.

So yes this game is close to dead, but not all the way there yet. I am glad that several modders are staying though, despite the seemingly never-ending clan drama.

Quote from: Banman on July 26, 2013, 07:09:14 PM
what i do not get is why players go to another servers, and bcuz they want, implant the rules from another clan servers.
It wouldn't be the first time i see a ''noob'' coming to TWA/UEF Server and saying, no cussing, cping is always allowed, etc., when these aint clan server rules, but they end by being banned bcuz of spamming their/other clan rules.
This is, at least for me, so annoying.
This is something we actually agree on, I do not like how players use to join FC server, complain about the fair sides, complain about no CPs, complain about radar, etc. The mods we want are forced in our server, complaining won't change them.

Quote from: WusiBabyEater on July 26, 2013, 08:24:53 PM
I also like how everyone blames kishan for swbf dying without looking at led. Kishan actually helped swbf and a lot of people are ignorant and people like led like to hold grudges with people who are threaten his authority.

Have you have wondered why nobody has skill in your server?because you ban all the good players.
I've noticed at least one person willing to blame every major contributor to the swbf community of being guilty for the game having died. But if you will look at all the positive and negative actions of such players, you will find almost all of them have contributed far more than they have taken away.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on July 26, 2013, 08:38:51 PM
You really would have had to been playing multiplayer for several months or years before gamespy shut down MP, to understand what players mean by "SWBF1 MP Skill". Most people who play this game online do not play for fun I've noticed, but to compete.

Quote from: tirpider on July 26, 2013, 09:20:42 PM
I've been playing for years and as anyone here can tell you.. I'm bad.. really really bad and am totally not in a clan.
Probably because I have zero skills.
Too much drama. (
Well, you might have the advantage still. It may be better to be unskilled and not be targeted/trolled consistently by noobs, than to be skilled and continually harassed for it. There is just a point where you say "enough" and have to set limits for who can access your server.

Quote from: Buckler on July 26, 2013, 07:23:00 PM
The solution that the pro-radar group has come up with is to make their own server.  This would also work for you.  If I am alone in my server, then the remaining players of SWBF will have decided that they want to curse with you in your server, and there will be no one for me to apply any rules to.  And, I am OK with that.  :cheers:
I have modded [FC] servers to the point where I find them enjoyable even with no other players, and in my opinion, more enjoyable than other servers that have players. So I am OK with having to use a password to keep out the hostility. I am ok with the fact less people play this game, because the people I do play with now, are not causing drama in the FC servers.

July 26, 2013, 09:20:42 PM #38 Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:23:34 PM by tirpider
Quote from: WusiBabyEater on July 26, 2013, 09:07:36 PM
Nice trolling but here's a news flash dude, the majority of the core members of swbf were/are all competitive and strive to become great players. You think people play 9 years just for fun? Why would anybody play forever? I don't think they would have played for 9 years if they weren't trying to get good at the game. Skilled players kept the game fun and all the most active clans except for PLA were competitive.

Not directed at me, I know, but.. the troll feeding has begun...

I've been playing for years and as anyone here can tell you.. I'm bad.. really really bad and am totally not in a clan.
Too much drama. (Though this bit of drama is kinda fun.)

Could I join your clan? Would I be a core member of a majority then?
It's important because I want to be part of something bigger than myself and need to swear while doing it.
But I want to be banned from all your servers. Will that be a problem?

-edit lol Buckler

July 26, 2013, 09:37:35 PM #39 Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:40:54 PM by WusiBabyEater
Quote from: tirpider on July 26, 2013, 09:20:42 PM
Not directed at me, I know, but.. the troll feeding has begun...

Too much drama. (Though this bit of drama is kinda fun.)

Could I join your clan? Would I be a core member of a majority then?
It's important because I want to be part of something bigger than myself and need to swear while doing it.
But I want to be banned from all your servers. Will that be a problem?

-edit lol Buckler

Sure bro, you can even buy your own wusi badge too.

and led technically I'm not on your property because my physical body isn't in your server.

Quote from: WusiBabyEater on July 26, 2013, 09:37:35 PM
and led technically I'm not on your property because my physical body isn't in your server.
a little bit off topic but this reminded me of a news article i read where someone spent $330,000 real cash just to own virtual property.
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/02/man-buys-virtual-space-station-for-330k-real-dollars/

Nice lawyer conversation Led. :hehe:

So you guys are saying that you don't play to have fun, but you play to win. So what, do you show your stats to your respective partner or something and you get dinner?

Quote from: BlackScorpion on July 26, 2013, 09:07:13 PM
This thread is now about the MLB.
Discuss.
Nice try, but this is a serious issue! Notice the site is having more activity than the entire last 2 weeks? :P

Quote from: Kit Fisto on July 26, 2013, 09:45:32 PM
Nice lawyer conversation Led. :hehe:

So you guys are saying that you don't play to have fun, but you play to win. So what, do you show your stats to your respective partner or something and you get dinner?

Nice try, but this is a serious issue! Notice the site is having more activity than the entire last 2 weeks? :P

Skill isn't always about stats https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyfoAoh35Lw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I don't have any money for badges.  Will the pit-stain on an old t-shirt work?
Seriously, I don't want to join a clan. I have nothing to contribute competitively (game skills or otherwise.)

Ah, but the posts are, you see. So you do understand the concept of public and private spaces. Good. There should be no more problems then.

Quote from: Phobos on July 26, 2013, 09:45:20 PM
a little bit off topic but this reminded me of a news article i read where someone spent $330,000 real cash just to own virtual property.
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/02/man-buys-virtual-space-station-for-330k-real-dollars/
HAHAHA. Like that poor fellow that spent several thousand dollars for some in-game battleship that was destroyed moments into the game.  I felt bad for the guy.

Anyone that has ever been caught hacking a computer system would disagree with you.  Technically.