Twitch TV sells for $Billion

Started by Led, August 25, 2014, 07:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2734130/Amazon-gets-game-Retailer-buys-hit-game-broadcasting-site-Twitch-970m.html

Why can't we come up with a billion dollar website?   ;)

Amazon gets in the game: Retailer beats Google to buy hit console broadcasting site Twitch for $970m

Site broadcasts games live online from PCs and consoles
    Google was also believed to be in talks to buy San Francisco site

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Heard that today too.

First Facebook with Occulus Rift, now Amazon with Twitch. What's next? GameFly and OnLive get bought out by Twitter and Google?

It seems a lot of corporate businesses are buying up video game services. It won't shock me if Xfire eventually gets bought out by someone soon.

August 25, 2014, 09:17:48 PM #2 Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:24:43 PM by -RepublicCommando-
Xfire is crap, I wouldn't count on it personally ..
--
I hate google, so good for amazon.
--
This site is worth a couple mil in my mind, if that helps, Led :P

Sooo glad amazon bought twitch instead of google!  :cheer:

As for the Oculus and Facebook, GM, they probably aren't going to do anything more than turn around and re-sell it to another company at a higher price.

Then there's this... Twitch for 970m$? Honestly, I can really see the angle Amazon wants to take with this investment.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: ᏌᏞᎢᎥᎷᎾ on August 26, 2014, 05:01:44 AM
As for the Oculus and Facebook, GM, they probably aren't going to do anything more than turn around and re-sell it to another company at a higher price.

Then there's this... Twitch for 970m$? Honestly, I can really see the angle Amazon wants to take with this investment.
I can see a few angles, but only one truly sticks in my mind.

Since Amazon now has TV services, and it's own brand of e-readers and tablets, it makes perfect sense for Amazon to buy Twitch. So they can use it as a premium-streaming service for gaming! I could see it being bundled with Amazon Prime and it's TV service, or I suppose they could just leave it as is and implement it into their Amazon devices and services.

Either way, Twitch is probably going to start requesting payments for their users, such as memberships and whatnot.

I
I think this will work out better than Google. But I'm not so sure it will remain the same.

55 million visitors per month,$970 million

works out to roughly $18 per visitor.

What business model could you have that could turn a profit if you are starting at $18 per visit...

By those numbers, our little website values out at $1.8 million...RC was right!   ;)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Led on August 26, 2014, 10:35:08 AM
55 million visitors per month,$970 million

works out to roughly $18 per visitor.

What business model could you have that could turn a profit if you are starting at $18 per visit...

By those numbers, our little website values out at $1.8 million...RC was right!   ;)

I think with that logic you should give amazon a call, Led. Especially with SWBF3 coming soon, 2 million is a bargain  ;)
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

Haha, that's cool!
As long as it doesn't end up in the hands of google or Disney  :xmastim:

Speaking of all this money... No wonder the U.S.A. is supposedly in debt... Because everybody keeps spending money on the internet
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Well, yesterday Twitch sent out an email to all of it's users in regards to Amazon acquiring them:

Quote from: 'Twitch CEO Emmett Shear'
I'm pleased to announce we've been acquired by Amazon. We chose Amazon because they believe in our community, they share our values and long-term vision, and they want to help us get there faster. We're keeping most everything the same: our office, our employees, our brand, and most importantly our independence. But with Amazon's support we'll have the resources to bring you an even better Twitch.

I personally want to thank you, each and every member of the Twitch community, for what you've created. Thank you for putting your faith in us. Thank you for sticking with us through growing pains and stumbles. Thank you for bringing your very best to us and sharing it with the world. Thank you, from a group of gamers who never dreamed they'd get to help shape the face of the industry that we love so much.

It's dangerous to go alone. On behalf of myself and everyone else at Twitch, thank you for coming with us.

Emmett Shear, CEO
No telling what they have in mind, but it seems that Amazon and Twitch seem to see eye to eye on their plans for reinventing Twitch. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.