Custom Objects .ODF/.MSH

Started by Snake, January 17, 2010, 08:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
January 17, 2010, 08:34:07 PM Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 02:29:22 PM by Snake
I know theres a program for making them, i couldnt find the download, maybe i just missed it but does 3DSMax make images compatible for swbf1? and how do you add custom signs with like paint shop pro

=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

First off, MSH's are models the .TGA image that go over the model (skin) can be edited by almost any photoediting software, from gimp, to photoshop and many many others.

Secondly ODF files are made with text editors, notepad would work. The easy way to do this is purely take a ODF thats already ingame, similar to what you want, say your editing a rifle to shoot faster with more ammo and more power, you would take the all_weap_inf_rifle.odf and simply edit it, rename it and use it.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

Quote from: Snake on January 02, 1974, 09:15:24 AMNo one ever answers my posts...This stinks, I think -SWC- is better. :confused:

what is SWC

Modelling is hard. I would just make them in a program of your choice, then have someone experienced take the models and convert them to a format usable by SWBF. TGA files are skins. Those are the ones you need to open. Edit them, and then save them. If you do Save As, make sure it is a TGA, named the same, and that you uncheck RLE compression.

ODF files can be edited with Notepad or any basic text editing software. Don't use Word though. If you want to get really advanced, use Notepad++ (google it). But I don't recommend that because it's mainly for coding and HTML and the like.

Does that answer your question or do you have any others?

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

January 19, 2010, 01:06:38 PM #3 Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:35:01 PM by Snake
I know how to edit skins and odf's I am an awesome modder, or was before i started making maps. I guess i'll try making on using an already made odf and make my own tga. don't you need to have a skeleton editing program or is that just for modding characters?
I just tried to make an object, I tried making a sign using the odf of a tusken barrier:

[GameObjectClass]      

ClassLabel      =   "prop"
GeometryName   =   "tat_prop_sign.msh"

[Properties]      

GeometryName   =   "tat1_prop_tuskbarrier"

That's the odf and I made the .msh it says above "tat_prop_sign.msh" in paintshop pro 7 but it didnt show up on the map.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

You cannot make .MSH files in paint shop pro. You can only make .tga files in paint shop pro.

lol ya, i did save as and changed it to .msh i shouldnt have done that I'm going to try it again with tga. Do i change the geometry name to tat_prop_sign.tga?
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

no. Geometry is for MSH files. TGA files determine what the skin of a model looks like. Models are the physical things. They cannot be changed without a modelling program. You can reskin them, however, which is done through the TGA files.

There are several arts in modding swbf1 game play. One is altering or remaking tga files which are the skins of the characers or objets used in game. The characters or objets of the game are mesh files and one can replace them with different characters. There are many other changes that have to be done to get different characters instead of the regular ones in the game. The new yoda for example comes with every thing you need. For a totaly new character that no one has ever seen before one would need a special program other than what comes with the bf tools.
Could some one verify the above is true. One question for snake, what would you like to do?

Well I'm using the odf of a Tusken barrier, the poles with a cloth over them (on Dune Sea) and I'm trying to make a new .tga file for it so that i can skin it to have words on it and still be able to use the other Tusken barrier in the map. I guess it's just hard to explain but I've never really had to ask for help because I've always been modding (which i have figured out alot of stuff on my own).

So,
What I want to do: Make a sign using a separate, copied, .odf of a tusken barrier.
What the problem is: It won't show up on the map. Probably a problem with the skin.

:(
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

This involves hex edit of mesh files and renaming of files associated with the prop you are working. Do you know how to hex edit a mesh file and look for the letters tga to change the file name? Search for the letters tga and you will see the tga file name to the left. You will have to pick a new file name but keep the same spacing. This file name will be the same as your new sign you want to cover the prop with. See how yoda has alot of files associated with it. You will have to find all the files associated with the prop so that you can figure out which ones need to be changed and which ones can be shared. Sound good so far?

Hmm... So do I need a program to edit Mesh files? And I kind of understand what you are saying. I'll try it thanks.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

I use PSPad to change the tga file name associated with the mesh so that the mesh will call for the tga file name I change it to.

ummmmmmm..... :blink: I don't know how to do that lol. Xfire me if you can. Or Fett if he's on.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder