Cleaning up the Downloads

Started by Kit Fisto, April 14, 2013, 01:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So, as you guys might know we have a downloads section. This section is often times confusing and isn't really complete. There are multiple versions of the same map and some maps aren't here at all! I would like to work toward cleaning up the downloads section, starting with the "Star Wars Battlefront Maps" section. I think each download should include some pictures of the map, along with the README included in the file.

Right now I am getting all of Majin Revan's maps uploaded here using this format. If we make every download like this, it will be easier to find what anyone is looking for and help reduce clutter. (I believe we have about 15-25 maps that are either duplicates or have a newer version) If we can get all the files to be hosted on this site with at least 1 screenshot and the readme we might be able to get a complete archive of maps. This will take lots of time, but if there is a way to edit downloads description, then we wouldn't have to re-uploaded all the maps.

So, who's with me!

I don't think we should delete previous versions of maps but it would be nice to see more maps uploaded here, I just came from filefront where some map links were broken. I think although some improvements could be done to the organisation it seems like a lot of work (as I assume Led would have to do most of it).
Maybe you or someone else should make a list of every map that's not here and start getting modder's permission to upload them here. :)
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Well I am uploading every one of Majin Revan's SWBFI maps here (only the most current versions) since I noticed we only had like 2 of his maps. So I decided to upload them all.

Your right, cleaning up the downloads section is a giant task. I don't know how it affects the owner.

If I could really have my way I would say, trash the entire downloads section (but make backups of everything, of course) and start from scratch. Uploading all maps with a definitive format. That would be enormous. I don't know how to approach the problem...

April 14, 2013, 02:07:00 PM #3 Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 02:10:24 PM by UNIT 33
Oh. Yes. I raised this issue a while ago with the other moderators and it thus became my problem.
Unfortunately I have been (I cannot stress this enough) extremely busy and haven't got round to it. But I do hope to give it a good tidying.

Yes, it is within my powers to edit mostly everything without having to re-upload the file, including names, tags and descriptions. That sort of thing.

If you would like to write the info and blurbs for the mods and just tell me what particularly needs doing I can do it sooner.

Well, I would begin with deleting duplicate uploads. For example Polis Massa (Battlebelk version) is on here like 3 times. Find the one that is hosted here, and delete the others. Then edit the description of the one you kept and post the readme and some pictures without using mods.

See any of the maps I have uploaded. (they need to be approved first)

Im with u Kit ;)
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

April 14, 2013, 02:22:03 PM #6 Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 02:24:34 PM by UNIT 33
Quote from: Kit Fisto on April 14, 2013, 02:10:11 PM
Well, I would begin with deleting duplicate uploads. For example Polis Massa (Battlebelk version) is on here like 3 times. Find the one that is hosted here, and delete the others. Then edit the description of the one you kept and post the readme and some pictures without using mods.

The reason for the mess is much to do with the drama with Filefront a while back, there was a great enthusiasm to back up everything here which lead to multiple uploads.
Additionally some authors hosted elsewhere due to issues with the system, but have still created a download page. Led has then mirrored the file here afterwards. Anyway, sometimes it is good to have multiple mirrors, should something drastic happen. But I agree there shouldn't be multiple copies of the same file uploaded directly on SWBFgamers.
BUT I am against deleting out-dated mods if there are newer versions.

.Where would you propose hosting the screenshots?
.File approval is up to the admins.
.Descriptions I suppose I can do easily.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on April 14, 2013, 02:10:11 PM

(I think we have been over this before)
Not all of those versions appeared to be the same.  We also have a lot of screen shots in Ryan's thread.

I am all for a reorganization.  I prefer to have mods organized by the modder, personally.  Behind the scenes, I have a folder for many of the modders and I use the web-link when I upload mods.   The thing I don't like about our mod system is that it renames the file to something  obscure and stored in a database.  If the database were to go, then we would all be in trouble.

But one thing is sure--it is a huge task.  We have about 20 GB of mods uploaded here.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: UNIT 33 on April 14, 2013, 02:22:03 PM
The reason for the mess is much to do with the drama with Filefront a while back, there was a great enthusiasm to back up everything here which lead to multiple uploads.
Additionally some authors hosted elsewhere due to issues with the system, but have still created a download page. Led has then mirrored the file here afterwards. Anyway, sometimes it is good to have multiple mirrors, should something drastic happen. But I agree there shouldn't be multiple copies of the same file uploaded directly on SWBFgamers.
BUT I am against deleting out-dated mods if there are newer versions.

.Where would you propose hosting the screenshots?
.File approval is up to the admins.
.Descriptions I suppose I can do easily.
I am getting my screenshots directly from the filefront screenshots section for each map. For example I got this screenshot directly from filefronts page on that particular download
To get it you simply right click and choose open image in new window/tab you get the direct link to the image and can post it in the img format. Try it here: http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/screenshots/File/49318/6
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quote from: Buckler on April 14, 2013, 02:25:54 PM
(I think we have been over this before)
Not all of those versions appeared to be the same.  We also have a lot of screen shots in Ryan's thread.

I am all for a reorganization.  I prefer to have mods organized by the modder, personally.  Behind the scenes, I have a folder for many of the modders and I use the web-link when I upload mods.   The thing I don't like about our mod system is that it renames the file to something  obscure and stored in a database.  If the database were to go, then we would all be in trouble.

But one thing is sure--it is a huge task.  We have about 20 GB of mods uploaded here.
Heres an idea. (a rather extreme idea) Delete the downloads section after making a full backup. Make it so only certain people can view it, and re upload all files organized by author or however Led wants it. This could take a while but it is the only way I see it getting done efficiently and correctly the first time.

Why do we want to keep older versions of maps?

I think we need to figure out the best plan of action before any actual action takes place.  :)

Quote from: Kit Fisto on April 14, 2013, 02:30:11 PM
I am getting my screenshots directly from the filefront screenshots section for each map. For example I got this screenshot directly from filefronts page on that particular download

Best not do that, Kit.  They don't like when we do that...

Quote from: Kit Fisto on April 14, 2013, 02:30:11 PMWhy do we want to keep older versions of maps?

Because new versions sometimes break our favorite parts of the map.

Why do we want to keep older versions of maps?

Quote from: tirpider on April 14, 2013, 02:34:10 PM
Because new versions sometimes break our favorite parts of the map.
And it's nice to have the choice rather than to flat out deny it.

Heres an idea. (a rather extreme idea) Delete the downloads section after making a full backup. Make it so only certain people can view it, and re upload all files organized by author or however Led wants it. This could take a while but it is the only way I see it getting done efficiently and correctly the first time.

The only way it can get done the way I want is if I do it.  I just don't have the time presently.

Our downloads section is a living growing thing and is the reason most people visit our site.  It would take a lot of effort to download everything organize it and re-upload it without having it down too long.

I will make you this deal, kit.  I will send you an external hard drive, and you can download everything and organize it.  Then you send it to me, I will upload all the files and then we can have an upload map party where we link the files to uploads :)

Quote from: Buckler on April 14, 2013, 02:39:26 PM
The only way it can get done the way I want is if I do it.  I just don't have the time presently.

Our downloads section is a living growing thing and is the reason most people visit our site.  It would take a lot of effort to download everything organize it and re-upload it without having it down too long.

I will make you this deal, kit.  I will send you an external hard drive, and you can download everything and organize it.  Then you send it to me, I will upload all the files and then we can have an upload map party where we link the files to uploads :)
It is true that the reason people come here is for the downloads. That is why I came here.

About the external hard drive, this could be tricky. 20 GB of downloading, wouldn't that raise the internet bill? I am not paying for that and it would surely anger those who do...

Quote from: Buckler on April 14, 2013, 02:33:46 PM
Best not do that, Kit.  They don't like when we do that...
Hmm, it seems filefront doesn't like a lot of things we do. Isn't it just Mav who is filefront?

(also the last like 10 maps I uploaded all have screenshots from filefront. They haven't been approved yet though)