Will the world end?

Started by Helios, December 20, 2012, 07:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Will the world end on December 21st, 2012 at midnight? I've heard different things and I'm pretty sure it won't happen but just want to hear what you guys think.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Apparently, the time will be 6:11am for New York when the world supposedly ends. I highly doubt it though. The most I could see happening is some hacker(s) hacking the internet to make people think the world will end.

Now the most dumbest idea would be for the US to launch all their nukes at the time the world ends.

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Claus on December 20, 2012, 07:29:08 PM
Apparently, the time will be 6:11am for New York when the world supposedly ends. I highly doubt it though. The most I could see happening is some hacker(s) hacking the internet to make people think the world will end.

Now the most dumbest idea would be for the US to launch all their nukes at the time the world ends.
From what I've read up on its about 1 hour and a half away from this time (EST)

When you account for daylight savings time and leap year and all that jazz, I think it was supposed to end a while ago. I think, don't hold me to it :confused:

I don't really believe in conspiracies. :shrug:

Quote from: Jolly Ol' Agent Z on December 20, 2012, 07:34:11 PM
When you account for daylight savings time and leap year and all that jazz, I think it was supposed to end a while ago. I think, don't hold me to it :confused:

Who does? *cough* Kit Fisto *cough* :P

The only thing that ends is mayan calender cycle. According to them we move from age of pisces to age of aquarius, whatever thats supposed to mean.

Quote from: Phobos on December 20, 2012, 07:57:25 PM
The only thing that ends is mayan calender cycle. According to them we move from age of pisces to age of aquarius, whatever thats supposed to mean.
I brought this topic up in physics class and we had a discussion about it, and the teacher said someething like that as if it was like our calendar we get a new one every year.

Yeah, so maybe thousands of years from now someone will dig up an old American calendar that ran out of space at 4035, then they will think we predicted the world to end.  :P
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: SnowFlakeSnake on December 20, 2012, 08:04:05 PM
Yeah, so maybe thousands of years from now someone will dig up an old American calendar that ran out of space at 4035, then they will think we predicted the world to end.  :P
What if its the Canadians? Then there is a problem.

December 20, 2012, 08:07:34 PM #9 Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 08:12:48 PM by Kit Fisto
Quote from: [FC]Sharpshot on December 20, 2012, 07:36:15 PM
Who does? *cough* Kit Fisto *cough* :P
What the?! lol
Me being into science and all that jazz I understand why people think the world will end and I know the reasons it WILL NOT. You guys do know the world is predicted to end like every 15 years.  :rofl:

EDIT: Here ya go! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events :rofl:
So will it end THIS time?

this guy thinks it will lol

[spoiler][/spoiler]

hearsay I tell you! I will post again on SWBF gamers on The 22nd of December no matter what happens!  :moo:

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins

December 20, 2012, 08:34:26 PM #12 Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 08:38:34 PM by Santa Claus
HO HO HO! It is extremely important the we not write off the risk that some catastrophic species-exterminating event will happen, say, within the next century or so. (Today? Probably not.)

Consider one assumption and two hypotheses:

Assumption: All else being equal, one should reason as though one were selected randomly from some class of observers.

Hypothesis 1: 100 billion humans will have lived

Hypothesis 2: 100 trillion humans will have lived

Your and my birth rank among humans is, roughly, 60-billion. Using the assumption, Hypothesis 1 is vastly more likely than hypothesis 2, and since the human population is growing exponentially, this implies* that the human species will come to an end fairly soon, compared to what we thought before.

This line of reasoning is called the Doomsday Argument, and there are many subtleties that I've glossed over, but you get the idea.

*Or we will turn into superhumans not in our class of observers, or the birth rate will decrease by a ridiculous amount...

My answer to that question:  No the world will NOT end on that day, and anyone who thinks so, shouldn't be allowed on the internet for being a gullable dumb

Quote from: Jolly Ol' Agent Z on December 20, 2012, 07:34:11 PM

Uhm.... I sure hope you don't mean ALL conspiracies...  Most are true.. Especially when it comes to guns, and/or german government involving Hitler...

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on December 20, 2012, 08:42:45 PM
Uhm.... I sure hope you don't mean ALL conspiracies...  Most are true..
surely most are false? since most major events have several mutually contradictory conspiracy theories attached to them

That said, saying you don't believe in conspiracy theories in world affairs is like saying you don't believe in force theories in physics.