GLU and Gamespy shutting down servers

Started by Led, December 08, 2012, 02:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Phobos on December 08, 2012, 03:56:41 PM
Exactly. In reality it costs them maybe $20-$30 a month, if that.
Once you are registered Gamespy charge nothing for games with below 1000 players and $20 per month for up to 5000 unique I.P.'s. The funny thing is that only includes an average of one support case per month and now when people buy the game and can't play they're going to get loads of people contacting them. :)
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on December 09, 2012, 04:10:01 AM
now when people buy the game and can't play they're going to get loads of people contacting them. :)

I love the cause and effect nature of the universe.

GLU will get bought out and cannibalized by some other company. It is almost disgustingly predictable.

Funny, it will be more of a hassle for GLU if they take down the servers, then if they would just leave them up.
LessMoney --> Happier customers

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on December 10, 2012, 06:16:27 PM
LessMoney --> Happier customers

Less Money --> Less Money

Guys. GLU is shutting down servers because GameSpy is unprofitable and most games are too low radar for much damage to be done if they are shut down.
That's why they shut them down.

Yes, it's messed up. But a company will prioritize their shareholders and employees over a handful of gamers.

Play on gameranger and Tunngle guys.

#TYBG

Quote from: aeria. on December 11, 2012, 04:23:07 AM

Guys. GLU is shutting down servers because GameSpy is unprofitable and most games are too low radar for much damage to be done if they are shut down.

Yes, it's messed up. But a company will prioritize their shareholders and employees over a handful of gamers.

Play on gameranger and Tunngle guys.

Funny thing is, their shareholders and employees are there and have a job/buisness because of a ''handful of gamers''.

I'm astonished by the ratio of people complaining on this forum every day versus people playing on Tunngle every day.

December 11, 2012, 01:02:56 PM #22 Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 01:07:14 PM by aeria.
Quote from: {TcF}=Rick={G}(305th-Infantry) on December 11, 2012, 07:27:34 AM
Funny thing is, their shareholders and employees are there and have a job/buisness because of a ''handful of gamers''.

Shareholders would rather hear that an unprofitable part of a business that affects a fraction of the customer base has been cut loose than to hear that they are paying server bills for old games that are no longer being sold or making profit whatsoever.

I'm not saying I agree with them cutting the servers but business-wise, it was an inevitable move. It would've been nice to have a warning ahead of time.

Quote from: Joseph on December 11, 2012, 08:33:42 AM
I'm astonished by the ratio of people complaining on this forum every day versus people playing on Tunngle every day.

This is a good point. SWBF multiplayer isn't gone at all. Tunngle is an easy enough program to use.

Play on Tunngle or play a more recent video game.

#TYBG

Quote from: aeria. on December 11, 2012, 01:02:56 PM
Shareholders would rather hear that an unprofitable part of a business that affects a fraction of the customer base has been cut loose than to hear that they are paying server bills for old games that are no longer being sold or making profit whatsoever.

I'm not saying I agree with them cutting the servers but business-wise, it was an inevitable move. It would've been nice to have a warning ahead of time.
Agreed. But all they had to do was take a look at how many people play from the master servers (game population) to think twice.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Quote from: aeria. on December 11, 2012, 04:23:07 AM

Yes, it's messed up. But a company will prioritize their shareholders and employees.
not true in this case according to glu. They said that most of those games are no longer suported by develpers, or they have not been paid to keep the game up (sometimes they kept the games up for months after the last payment)

December 17, 2012, 05:22:13 PM #25 Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:23:45 PM by aeria.
Quote from: Ltin on December 15, 2012, 01:37:46 PM
not true in this case according to glu. They said that most of those games are no longer suported by develpers, or they have not been paid to keep the game up (sometimes they kept the games up for months after the last payment)

I will take back the claim that they are closing down servers out of their own accord but like you said, these games are no longer supported by the publisher and have not been paid to keep the game up. That means less money to the company.

Less money --> Less money

#TYBG