GLU and Gamespy shutting down servers

Started by Led, December 08, 2012, 02:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/12/07/2250252/gamespys-new-owners-begin-disabling-multiplayer-without-warning?utm_source=slashdot&utm_medium=twitter

Droideka found this article linked above:

New submitter OldTimeRadio writes "Over the last month, both game publishers and gaming communities alike were surprised to find their GameSpy multiplayer support suddenly disabled by GLU Mobile, who purchased GameSpy from IGN this August. Many games, including Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, Microsoft Flight Simulator X, Swat 4, Sniper Elite, Hidden and Dangerous 2, Wings of War, Star Wars: Battlefront are no longer able to find (and in some cases even host) multiplayer games. While games like Neverwinter Nights are still able to directly connect to servers if players know the IP address, less-fortunate gamers expressed outrage on GLU Mobile's 'Powered by GameSpy' Facebook page. In an open letter to their Sniper Elite gaming community today, UK game developer Rebellion explained it was helpless to change the situation: 'A few weeks ago, the online multiplayer servers for Sniper Elite were suddenly switched off by Glu, the third-party service we had been paying to maintain them. This decision by Glu was not taken in consultation with us and was beyond our control. We have been talking to them since to try and get the servers turned back on. We have been informed that in order to do so would cost us tens of thousands of pounds a year — far in excess of how much we were paying previously. We also do not have the option to take the multiplayer to a different provider. Because the game relies on Glu and Gamespy's middleware, the entire multiplayer aspect of the game would have to be redeveloped by us, again, at the cost of many tens of thousands of pounds.""

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Reads like greed.

Glu doesn't sound like they are interested in games or gaming communities anymore than they can capitalize on them. 

I would say that I will actively avoid purchasing  Glu powered games in the future, but that would be redundant, as I have no interest in mobile/smart phone games anyway.

I would bend over backwards to help an enthusiest(of any status) achieve thier goals.  I turn my back on marketers who operate out of greed.

Despite this knowledge I still feel obligated to vent my anger at Disney.

December 08, 2012, 03:42:30 PM #3 Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:46:05 PM by {212} =-Norris-=
Good to see that they attempted to fix the problem. From this article it looks like our  main enemy in this was indeed Glu. Such a shame  :confused:

Edit: lol Unit. but i am with you, not just concerning SWBF. When disney bought the rights to it a bunch of other companies got them through disney. they are all combining to ruin the movies of old. look at this stuff  :whip:

http://angrybirds.tumblr.com/

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins

December 08, 2012, 03:42:55 PM #4 Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:44:29 PM by Phobos
If only rich Mr. Lucas could spare a few thousand of his 4 billion dollars to revive SWBF1 multiplayer
:'(
[spoiler]I will boycott glu and disney for life[/spoiler]

Greedy corporations they are good for nothing. Their is no way it costs tens of thousands of dollars to setup simple master server software for the sole purpose of listing games. I have seen indie 100% free games setup their own master server and I am fairly certain they are not getting $30k worth of donations. 

Quote from: SleepKiller on December 08, 2012, 03:47:20 PM
Greedy corporations they are good for nothing. Their is no way it costs tens of thousands of dollars to setup simple master server software for the sole purpose of listing games. I have seen indie 100% free games setup their own master server and I am fairly certain they are not getting $30k worth of donations.
Exactly. In reality it costs them maybe $20-$30 a month, if that. I wouldn't recommend anyone investing stock in GLU Mobile they are dishonest, shady, and greedy.

So are about 99.99999999999999999999% of all shareholder companies. If your a company stay private it is the best course to follow.

I've never liked working for committee run organizations.
All my good work experiences have come from companies that had a single person calling all the shots.

A single owner/operator can easily maintain his vision for his project.

When a group is in charge, the company takes on a life of it's own, measuring sucess in terms of money instead of actual achievments.

Quote from: Phobos on December 08, 2012, 03:42:55 PM
If only rich Mr. Lucas could spare a few thousand of his 4 billion dollars to revive SWBF1 multiplayer
:'(
[spoiler]I will boycott glu and disney for life[/spoiler]
IM WITH YOU MAN!!!  :cheers:

Well then, it's about time we started calling in Anonymous for a job... ;)

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on December 08, 2012, 08:10:35 PM
Well then, it's about time we started calling in Anonymous for a job... ;)

:/

yeah... I can't see going to the trouble of mischief because a bussiness acts like a bussiness.
Don't get me wrong.. I curse them and hope thier data rots.
But you can't blame a scorpion for stinging you.
Best just to avoid them.

Thier site looked elite pro anyway (/me rolls eyes)
Some other greedy company will buy them and crush thier dreams soon, I bet.

This does mean y'all can still play on GR and Tunngle, right? Please tell me I'm misunderstanding the article.
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

The article mentions the effects it had on several games, not just BF1.

It seems some games got shut down a lot harder than we did.

Tunngle and Gameranger will continue to work for SWBF 1.

Quote from: tirpider on December 08, 2012, 09:03:20 PM
:/

yeah... I can't see going to the trouble of mischief because a bussiness acts like a bussiness.
Don't get me wrong.. I curse them and hope thier data rots.
But you can't blame a scorpion for stinging you.
Best just to avoid them.

Indeed.  It's their nature.