Open Beta - thoughts

Started by Giftheck, October 04, 2017, 08:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I must concur with Gistech here. This is already a vast improvement over the previous game, and really does capture the feel of the original games. So far I think I like the assault and heavy classes the best.

October 05, 2017, 11:11:25 AM #16 Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:48:35 PM by Davenport
[spoiler=Original Text]I just pre-ordered the game and can't wait to join in the Beta tomorrow. It was my reserves about the outcome of the first installment that kept me from making the purchase until now, but I can personally tell I've got nothing to worry about with the new Battlefront II.
See you on the front! :cheers:[/spoiler]

EDIT: I've decided to go back on my original decision, and thus I've cancelled my pre-order of Battlefront II. If I decide to get it at some point, I will eagerly await playing it with you.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: Unit 33 on October 05, 2017, 12:50:12 AM
There is a screenshot function on PS4 isn't there?

If I get it working I'll try and get some nice pictures for you, I'll see if I can turn off the HUD also.

Thanks a ton if you do!

Quote from: Gistech on October 05, 2017, 12:28:44 AM
Yes, Maz's castle is in the beta as the map for the Strike mode. The palace itself is really well-detailed. It's quite complex. I would suggest though that you create it as close to the film as possible but not necessarily as close to the map in EABF2, because you'll have all sorts of trouble getting it to work as the castle has multiple floors.

I can't give you screenshots as I'm playing on PS4 but maybe somebody on PC might be able to help.

I've got a rudimentary interior set up already - but it's small and I think some scaling/locations are a bit off. It does have a spiral staircase going up to the roof, and down to the basement where Rey has her visions and stuff - Granted I doubt I'll be able to get AI to use the stairs and stuff as it would be that whole issue of trying to do paths/barriers vertically - but it'll be there as an easter egg for players at least - or multiplayer use if the map ends up being multiplayer compatible (idk what makes one compatible/not)

There is also an issue that will persist from the first game to the second, it's like the kit thing from the first, you'll find a class that you're good at and will never switch from that class!
The years just fly past, don't they?

October 05, 2017, 01:16:42 PM #19 Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 01:17:21 AM by CommanderHazard
The TTK is abysmally high, making it just as casual as the first game. 20 v 20 is still disappointing, and only 5 game modes? Really? Yes it's an upgrade, but this barely meets standards of what a good game should be. I think the standards were set extremely low because of the first game, that it made people hyped for this one. Same thing happened with Destiny. It's a smart business move. Also, the progression system. It's terrible, you don't get rewards for doing well besides more credits. Progressing through loot crates is stupid.

The real question is, are they actually planning that far ahead, even if they know they're gonna get a ton of backlash for a horrible first game?
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

October 06, 2017, 09:17:04 AM #21 Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 11:08:58 AM by swgaming1015
I think it's definitely an improvement over the last game as people are saying but that's mainly to do with the additional content and eras in my opinion. I don't see much of a difference in actual gameplay.

I'm happy they changed the star cards system and added the class system but the controls feel exactly the same as the 2015 game to me.

I'd prefer the 3rd person view to be more centred rather than over a shoulder.

Starfighter assault is much better but I'd rather the player could actually get in the ships and take off.

I can't stand the cross-era heroes. It looks ridiculous to see Rey and Han Solo fighting Darth Maul on Naboo during the Clone Wars.

Other than that it looks promising and I'll probably be getting it at launch. I'd rate the Beta about 7/10.

It's also pretty dumb how it shows you where to aim in Starfigher Assault.

Quote from: CommanderHazard on October 05, 2017, 01:16:42 PM
The TTK is abysmally low, making it just as casual as the first game.
As a casual player, I see nothing wrong with that.

I got it in Xbox one today, and I really do wish that it is what we got with the first game. I own the first one, and I'm pretty disappointed with just about every aspect of it. At least developers are learning from their marketing mistakes.

Quote from: Commander Awesome on October 06, 2017, 06:17:45 PM
As a casual player, I see nothing wrong with that.
Made a slight correction changing "low" to "high", as the TTK is not low at all lol, don't know what I was thinking. But this is just personal preference, as not everyone is a competitive or casual player, but I'd rather it take skill. Maybe there should be modes for both?

(I'm not sure if I should be posting this here. I'll take it down if there's a problem.)

So, some guy just released an interesting mod for the Beta (yep, the community is that dedicated): https://www.mediafire.com/file/y8a4ytjylrfq7qd/BF2%20MOD.rar

This enables the custom arcade modes, and they actually work. (Only on Theed, but that's to be expected) It's pretty much the same gameplay as the "Roger, Roger" mission except you can choose your team, the AI skill level, the amount of AI (up to 10v10) and the amount of reinforcements and you can play as heroes and special units. (The AI are still only regular infantry)

It is incredibly fun, and feels a lot like a round of instant action in the pandemic games.  :cheers:

Quote from: Idren on October 04, 2017, 08:52:56 PM
Would anyone be able to take screenshots of the following for me?
Here's a image of the castle's surroundings. I'll try and get some flag images next.

Another thing I've noticed about this Beta is that the Clones have been reskinned since the Alpha. They used to be plain phase II clones and now they're 501st troopers. Maybe EA are trying to make the game appear more like the 2005 Battlefront 2.

Quote from: swgaming1015 on October 07, 2017, 03:00:20 PM
Here's a image of the castle's surroundings. I'll try and get some flag images next.

:tu: Hey thanks a ton! Yeah any and all images of Takodana and the castle are extremely helpful!