SWBFspy domain name purchased and set up

Started by Led, May 27, 2016, 08:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I just purchased the SWBFspy domain name purchased and set up the SWBF and SWBF2 redirects to the new master server.

If you hex edit your exe files with this information then you can access the new master server without a hosts file edit.

I need some help identifying any other subdomains that need to be included. The picture attached is what I have so far.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

So essentially we just have to replace all instances of gamespy.com with swbfspy.com, right?
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

OK, PS2 values are now included

swbfrontps2.ms10.gamespy.com
swbfrontps2.available.gamespy.com
available.gamespy.com
master.gamespy.com
swbfrontps2.master.gamespy.com
motd.gamespy.com
key.gamespy.com
peerchat.gamespy.com
gpsp.gamespy.com
gpcm.gamespy.com
natneg1.gamespy.com
natneg2.gamespy.com

Quote from: Anthony_b on May 27, 2016, 12:14:35 PM
So essentially we just have to replace all instances of gamespy.com with swbfspy.com, right?

There are two methods:

-use the hosts file with with the new IP address of the master server and the original game exe file
or
-use a hexedited exe file with gamespy.com replaced with swbfspy.com:  but be careful, I am not 100% sure if every instance of gamespy.com should be replaced

Anyder got the SWBF2 exe working.

Also, I am not 100% sure if PS2 SWBF will work with the new master server.  Hopefully someone can test this for us.

May 27, 2016, 12:34:39 PM #4 Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:44:27 PM by Led
Quote from: Led on May 27, 2016, 12:22:13 PM
-use a hexedited exe file with gamespy.com replaced with swbfspy.com:  but be careful, I am not 100% sure if every instance of gamespy.com should be replaced
Only these ones
%s.available.gamespy.com

%s.master.gamespy.com

%s.ms%d.gamespy.com

gamestats.gamespy.com

gpcm.gamespy.com

gpsp.gamespy.com

natneg2.gamespy.com

natneg1.gamespy.com

motd.gamespy.com/motd/vercheck.asp?productid=%d&versionuniqueid=%s&distid=%d&gamename=%s

motd.gamespy.com/motd/motd.asp?userid=%d&productid=%d&versionuniqueid=%s&distid=%d&uniqueid=%s&gamename=%s
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

LED, to support all kinds of games (if you want to) it would be better to use an wildcard subdomain like *.swbfspy.com :) that would probably give you the possibility to host other games as well as the battlefront games.

Also I had recently got a mail from the ps2 battlefront community. They would need a DNS server for actually be able to play Battlefront 1 / 2 on PS2, if you want to.

May 29, 2016, 07:00:02 AM #6 Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 07:03:17 AM by Led
Quote from: kalle on May 29, 2016, 01:56:35 AM
LED, to support all kinds of games (if you want to) it would be better to use an wildcard subdomain like *.swbfspy.com :) that would probably give you the possibility to host other games as well as the battlefront games.

Also I had recently got a mail from the ps2 battlefront community. They would need a DNS server for actually be able to play Battlefront 1 / 2 on PS2, if you want to.

Hi Kalle,  I see--I think I should be able to do that with the "A-records" at my domain registrar.  Is that right?

Could you explain more about the needed DNS server?  Or point me to the right place to learn more?

I would be happy to support other games and PS2 servers.  I am still figuring things out.  Jedikiller has to leave to start a new job,  I am not able to ask him too much right now :)

DNS Server isn't a really easy stuff. You'll need to secure it. If you're reading a few tutorials (can't recommend an english one, I used to set it up on my own) you can easily install and manage it. I used "dnsmasq", which is an really easy one. I used to redirect all gamespy.com (and *.gamespy.com stuff) to my masterserver.

And yes, wildcard should be working with your provider. If you're unsure how to do that stuff, ask your domain provider :)

May 29, 2016, 07:07:22 AM #8 Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:03:54 PM by Led
Ah, I think I understand.  They require the an IP for a DNAS (dns) server, and that server sends all *.gamespy.com requests to the new master server.

edit:  I am understanding that DNAS is not DNS

:cheers:

May 30, 2016, 02:53:35 PM #9 Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:05:59 PM by Led
Quote from: kalle on May 29, 2016, 01:56:35 AM

"A records" have been updated to send *.swbfspy.com to the new master server IP address.

A DNS server has been set up to send *.gamespy.com requests to the new master server IP address, although something does not appear to be working for the PS2 yet...

With oldsnake's help, I've added these entries into the DNS server

gate1.jp.dnas.playstation.org  203.105.78.162

gate1.us.dnas.playstation.org 203.105.78.163

gate1.eu.dnas.playstation.org 203.105.78.164

PS servers for PS2 players need a patched exe file, but it all works now!   :cheers: