SWBFSpy: All You Need To know (Download patches here)

Started by Anyder, May 27, 2016, 12:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello all! I wish I was able to say that I've had no issues but that isn't the case. I'll try and fill you all in with as much info as I possibly can as I've wrapped my brain around this for the past hour but I've had no luck. If you need any more info let me know!

I am running Battlefront 2 through Steam on a Windows 8.1 machine (64 bit, if needed). After reading/watching a handful of tutorials I downloaded the most recent patch for BF2 through the link on the home page (I had to double check a few times to ensure I was downloading the correct file too. I really didn't want to have to type out this post.), extracted it via 7zip, and then moved the .exe file over into the Steam/steamapps/common/Star Wars Battlefront II/Gamedata folder. I renamed the original .exe to BattlefrontIICOPY and then changed the name of the new .exe to just BattlefrontII. The first time I tried this I just double-clicked on the new .exe file, clicked Online, saw there were servers, clicked to join a server, and then the game just crashed. I tried right clicking and "running as Admin", saw servers, tried to join, game crashes.

I tried the suggested "game crash fixes": Enable Studio Mix (learned that my laptop doesn't have Studio Mix apparently), Deleted the vidmode file, and plugged something into my microphone port. None of these worked.

So then I went back and tried the auto installer. I set it to the above mentioned path and was feeling a bit hopeful. Yet the same result occurred. I KNOW I have to be doing something absolutely wrong here because all of the video tutorials I've seen have made this out to be something that is just really simple so either I'm doing something wrong or there's something a bit more technical blocking me from getting this to work.

Thanks for all of the hard work you guys have done and thank you so much for taking the time to read this. If I can get this to work then I'm hoping to convince a few of my friends to jump on and join in from time to time. Very sorry for the long post!

Just for a little more info:
rename the SWBFspy exe file to something (like SWBFspySWBFII.exe)
copy (or rename) your original backup exe to what it was originally.

Try to run it and let us know what it does (works or crashes).
Make a shortcut from SWBFspySWBFII.exe to your desktop.  Start the game with that shortcut.  Let us know what happens (works or crashes).

Verify that your firewall lets the new exe through.  I will think about some more options if those things don't provide useful clues.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

If your game is crashing to desktop once you launch a game/after loading screen, you should check this steam thread. it has multiple fixes for this kind of problem.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/6060/discussions/0/1290691308592880480/

CLICK THE IMAGE AND IT WILL TAKE YOU TO THE STEAM GUIDE.

I seem to have this problem as well for SWBF2 but it's probably because the Mac Port I'm using is broken somewhere within.But I replace my old .exe's with the new ones, also renaming them to BattlefrontII.exe.But this is probably a problem with the port, as it crashes with the both exes in Singleplayer as well.
Generic Sig goes here

I see. I still think you should give those fixes a try :) might help

well guys. totally new here. Was curios if this game still alive.
Do you have somewhere like crowded servers where i can remember the old days while crying and listening to David Bowie?

Welcome.  :cheers:

on swbf1 in the evenings somtimes there are around 12 players(its a lot. I know)
"a tool is a tool, it isn't inherently evil or good." -Sleep killer

Quote from: Linux user Awesome on June 16, 2017, 12:37:40 PM
Welcome.  :cheers:

on swbf1 in the evenings somtimes there are around 12 players(its a lot. I know)

what about swbf2? About same numbers (like 12 people)?

And, thanks for warm welcome, it's nice to be here as i'm great fan of both games and hope they'll be ressurected once..

Quote from: Mozepo on June 16, 2017, 01:03:14 PM

And, thanks for warm welcome, it's nice to be here as i'm great fan of both games and hope they'll be ressurected once..

Have you seen EAs SWBF2? You might like it.
The years just fly past, don't they?

Quote from: Mozepo on June 16, 2017, 01:03:14 PM

swbf2 is available on steam, so that number is almost certainly higher

There's usually more people in the mornings for swbf2, I would say for you to check around that time :)

I have SWBF2 but only play it single player.(it loads to slow to join any server on my linux)
so I have no Idea about how many players there are online but theres probally a ton more
than swbf1

As for SWBF1 I usallly play at 02:00 MT. (2:00 AM MT)
somtimes i also play it later in the day if i have time and other players are there
example 15:00 MT(3:00 PM MT)

SWBF2 is ever growing in popularity.
"a tool is a tool, it isn't inherently evil or good." -Sleep killer

well, playing SWBF2 on steam. asking for GameSpy (which's dead for like 5 years already?) after downloading mod from here i found only one server with 2 players. that's all)
And that's kinda dissappointing

Quote from: Mozepo on June 17, 2017, 02:39:18 AM
well, playing SWBF2 on steam. asking for GameSpy (which's dead for like 5 years already?) after downloading mod from here i found only one server with 2 players. that's all)
And that's kinda dissappointing

Try Gameranger.  We have done everything we can.  It is up to the players to play when and where they want to play.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

The patch worked great up until recently, but now whenever I launch a match the game simply closes - there are no error messages and no minimized windows.  I can still get to the server list screen, it just won't load the map or even the loading screen itself.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  It seems like this problem is becoming widespread.