SWBF archive project

Started by Led, October 11, 2014, 01:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 11, 2014, 01:38:08 PM Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 02:39:39 AM by Led
Hi SWBFgamers,

I think the time has come for us to gather as many maps and assets for SWBF as we can at get them here.

In the past, I have taken the approach of asking permission from each mod maker before I hosted any files here.  Ginev's request for his own map has made me rethink this approach.

Let's upload them, and worry about the modder later--but there are some exceptions, see below.

I will take the heat from any modders not in the exception list if they don't like this policy.

Exception list--do not upload these modders files unless they give permission per file:

Phobos--do not upload files marked FC/Invis/Devs Only, others are OK
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

You have some of my files uploaded in the ftp account  <---
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Quote from: Led on October 11, 2014, 01:38:08 PM
Exception list--do not upload these modders files unless they give permission per file:
Phobos

Nobody needs to ask my permission to re-upload mods I post here publicly, just include the credits. Some mods released privately are labeled "FC/Invis/Devs Only" in the readme and should not be uploaded here without my permission. Some mods are hosted on dropbox or the fcsite, and you can mirror them here for the archive project if you want.

Quote from: Phobos on October 11, 2014, 08:18:09 PM
Nobody needs to ask my permission to re-upload mods I post here publicly, just include the credits. Some mods released privately are labeled "FC/Invis/Devs Only" in the readme and should not be uploaded here without my permission. Some mods are hosted on dropbox or the fcsite, and you can mirror them here for the archive project if you want.

Thanks!

If we are to combine all the existing mod assets into a giant archive I should emphasize the importance of keeping a credits list or thread to keep track of all the data. I have a large folder of weapon model assets but only credits for half of them.

October 13, 2014, 03:37:56 PM #5 Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:10:43 PM by ևltimσ
If needed, I can go over to Gametoast and see what files those guys are willing to lend me.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: ևltimσ on October 13, 2014, 03:37:56 PM
If needed, I can go over to Gametoast and see what files those guys are willing to lend me.

Let's not bother them.  There should be plenty of links to working filefront stuff we could get.

I don't know what possessed me, but right after I asked that question I went and posted to let them know what we were doing and asked if they might be willing to help.

Sorry, I don't know exactly why I did that, but I'll have them remove the thread.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

I love this idea and I will help you guys out by uploading a lot of the files I have laying around and new ones I download. Now the files I will be uploading I did not make so don't give me credit for making them.
History Guy! "Oh without the history..."
Archiving Guy! "Mods are Amazing they make you play the game, even when you cant play online!"

Quote from: Trooper X on October 13, 2014, 06:13:34 PM
I love this idea and I will help you guys out by uploading a lot of the files I have laying around and new ones I download. Now the files I will be uploading I did not make so don't give me credit for making them.

If you know the creator for any of them, I think it would be useful for us to know who, anyway. :)
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: ևltimσ on October 13, 2014, 05:03:24 PM
I don't know what possessed me, but right after I asked that question I went and posted to let them know what we were doing and asked if they might be willing to help.

Sorry, I don't know exactly why I did that, but I'll have them remove the thread.

GT has good folks.  Some of them don't like that they have to register here, although once you register you can download all you want without advertisements.  They can be particular about where their assets are posted, and in that case, for active modders, we need to respect that.

Personally, I think registration and no ads is far better than getting bombarded with spam ads at gamefront (with a bonus of not losing files), but that is just me  ;)

Quote from: ևltimσ on October 13, 2014, 06:39:45 PM
If you know the creator for any of them, I think it would be useful for us to know who, anyway. :)

Of curse I will have who ever made it posted and credited.
History Guy! "Oh without the history..."
Archiving Guy! "Mods are Amazing they make you play the game, even when you cant play online!"

Quote from: Led on October 13, 2014, 06:44:43 PM
Personally, I think registration and no ads is far better than getting bombarded with spam ads at gamefront (with a bonus of not losing files), but that is just me  ;)

The fact that files disappear from gamefront at all is enough to keep me from using them for anything. If a file is just going to be deleted after x days, why bother uploading it there?

I've started a list of missing maps here: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=8405.msg90910#msg90910

It's taking me few hours to get halfway with all the cross checking here but I do aim to finish now I started   :dry:
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)