singleplayer only mod changed multiplayer

Started by majorspidey, February 04, 2016, 12:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
on BFII, I have a super cool mod I'd like to play with my brother,but it's singleplayer only. is there a way to change that?
the mod I'm talking about is The Old Republic, (yes,swtor) when there are a lot of mods present it becomes Toys. the mod file is AOR. I don't know where to download it from cuz I got it in a mod pack (a huge one!). if a modder has the mod can there be a way to edit this? it's probably gonna require permission, so I guess it'd be best if you told me how to do it myself. is there a way to do this anyway? please say yes

February 04, 2016, 01:26:53 PM #1 Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:36:24 PM by Commander Awesome
Unless every user has the mod installed, it will not be online compatible. It is impossible to change that. Anyone who attempts to join such a session without the mod installed will crash. That is true with ANY mod that adds new units, vehicles, weapons, items, objects, modes and/or eras. And any mod that makes non-visual changes to any unit, vehicle, weapon, item or object. ONLY mods that only make visual changes (and/or MINOR scripting changes) are online-compatible. And even then, only those with said mod will be able to see the visual changes.

I think he means that they both have the mod, but just want it to be a MP map instead of a SP only map.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Led on February 04, 2016, 02:23:17 PM
I think he means that they both have the mod, but just want it to be a MP map instead of a SP only map.
If that's the case, then I don't see why it wouldn't work. Have you tried doing it?

as led said,we both have the mod, but you can't choose the mod when hosting multiplayer.

February 04, 2016, 09:06:32 PM #5 Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:12:00 PM by Phobos
Quote from: majorspidey on February 04, 2016, 02:38:36 PM
as led said,we both have the mod, but you can't choose the mod when hosting multiplayer.
I'm not sure if this works in BF2 but in BF1 you can host such mods through the dedicated server tools. An example is nab2c_h which doesn't show on the instant action menu since its a campaign map, but it works online (nab1c_h only works online for ps2). Just make sure the mod files are installed on the dedicated and the server should show up in the lobby. Then you can try joining but if it crashes, something on the map or side LVL isnt online compatible. I recommend hosting only one map at a time if it crashes to see what's wrong.

BF2 might also be similar to BF1 in that to make missions which only show on SP appear on the MP instant action menu requires modding the missionlist.lua script contained in the shell.lvl which might not be available for that mod. I'm not 100% sure though since I don't mod BF2.   

Quote from: Phobos on February 04, 2016, 09:06:32 PM
I'm not sure if this works in BF2 but in BF1 you can host such mods through the dedicated server tools. An example is nab2c_h which doesn't show on the instant action menu since its a campaign map, but it works online (nab1c_h only works online for ps2). Just make sure the mod files are installed on the dedicated and the server should show up in the lobby. Then you can try joining but if it crashes, something on the map or side LVL isnt online compatible. I recommend hosting only one map at a time if it crashes to see what's wrong.

BF2 might also be similar to BF1 in that to make missions which only show on SP appear on the MP instant action menu requires modding the missionlist.lua script contained in the shell.lvl which might not be available for that mod. I'm not 100% sure though since I don't mod BF2.   
Mods show up in the MP instant action menu by default in SWBF2.

Quote from: Commander Awesome on February 05, 2016, 10:50:12 AM
Mods show up in the MP instant action menu by default in SWBF2.
I was referring to historical campaigns, which can be modded. In BF1 these maps are hidden from the instant action menu but can be enabled.

ok,you lost me. I'm not any good at modding and 'dedicated server tools'?

Major, try this;

In the 3 letter mod folder (AOR?) open the addme.script in hex editor. Then find the bit of code near the top that looks like this:

sp_missionselect_listbox_contents

Then change the first letter to m so it looks like:

mp_missionselect_listbox_contents

That edit should present all available modes/era/map selections for the MP screen instead of the instant action single player menu. Now, with this edit the map will no longer be available in SP mode. But also, only the person who is hosting needs to do this. That edit is not required for people to who are joining. Keep in mind both users must have the mod addon though.  :tu:
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

February 08, 2016, 07:51:39 AM #10 Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 12:26:56 PM by majorspidey
It worked! Didn't try a full game yet but as far as 20 seconds t didn't crash :D
I'd still like to know if I can make it appear for both, but I guess I'll have to edit it every time for now. Thanks, Anthony!
EDIT: worked flawlessly,thanks again!

Keep a copy of each edited addon.script in the folder and rename.
actually since addme scripts are so small i could probably reconstruct it to support both modes by default. just upload it here in a zip file if u can

February 09, 2016, 07:52:37 AM #12 Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 04:34:36 AM by majorspidey
you could send me your email in a PM and I'll give you the zip, if you don't mind. I won't bother you with anything,honest

Edit:
Okay, I guess the email idea wasn't welcomed... What if I Copy the info here? I mean the text, would that help? Cuz seriously, I don't think I can upload anything. I'll try though.