Instant Action returns!

Started by Giftheck, August 20, 2019, 06:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
SOURCE

After a long time waiting, Instant Action is making its return to Star Wars Battlefront II.

Here's the important bits:

QuoteWe're happy to announce that Instant Action is making its return to the Battlefront franchise, and we think it's something a number of you are really going to like. Each month, we've seen the comments about a large-scale game mode that can be enjoyed within a singleplayer environment. We know that solo players matter and can confirm it's real and it's arriving in September!

In this mode, both teams are fighting over five Command Posts (similar to Capital Supremacy). Hold a majority of them until your team score reaches 100% to win the game.

Key info

Single player large scale combat experience
    Fight to control Command Posts
    You fight alongside AI
    You fight against a team of AI
    The enemy team will be made up of regular troopers, reinforcements, heroes, and vehicles.
    You can spawn on Command Posts using the Contextual Spawn system
    Control a majority of the Command Posts until your team score reaches 100%
    Able to choose to play as either light side or dark side
    Can be played offline, without the need for an internet connection

At release, you will have access to all the maps that are currently available within Capital Supremacy; Naboo, Kamino, Kashyyyk, Geonosis and Felucia.

This goes hand-in-hand with this month's new 'contextual spawning' system which will allow players to spawn on command posts like the old games. Contextual Spawning goes live next week in Captial Supremacy (which also has changes to the capital ship phase to make it feel more involved)

Also to be included in the September update is the Clone Commando to oppose the Droideka.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

I would have just put (if I were EA)
It's just like the old games (or as close as we can get).  We should have done this when the game released.

I'm now going to call it "Contextual Spawn" though because that sounds like a fun term for it.  I probably would have said "You spawn next to the CP" but it sounds so much cooler.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on August 20, 2019, 07:17:14 AM

I'm now going to call it "Contextual Spawn" though because that sounds like a fun term for it.  I probably would have said "You spawn next to the CP" but it sounds so much cooler.

Forcing players to get a dictionary :P
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

September 25, 2019, 05:27:35 AM #3 Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 06:19:20 AM by Giftheck
Okay, I've just played the new Instant Action mode and it is amazing!

-AI uses almost all classes (at current they can't use vehicles or Droidekas, apparently due to the AI not being ready on time but this is to be patched in within the next few weeks)
-All five planets currently available in Capital Supemacy
-On normal difficulty it actually gets quite hectic once the battle picks up.
-AI heroes are actually more competent than you think! They approach cautiously if they carry a Lightsaber but will use abilities or strikes once they're in range.
-Despite being announced as not being included, the AT-TE is pilotable on Felucia. And unlike other vehicles, it spawns in at the start of the match and can be taken by anyone, like the OG Battlefront games.

It's a well-done mode that puts the 2015 game's Skirmish in the shade. It's a great new mode!
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

i agree it is amazing ai are actually quite good got killed by darth maul as anakin wasnt sure what happened to the ai using droidekas and vehicles. will ai use the new clone commando ?
mods and maps in progress:<br />--Bf1 expanded edition 3.0 version
-- bf1 tcw battles
-- bf1 seasons mod season 1
-- bf2 expanded edition tbh

They couldn't get the AI for the Droidekas and vehicles finished in time, so they have disabled them for now but they will be enabled in a future update.

Pretty sure I've seen Clone Commando AI about in the map.
In Progress:

On Hold:

oh thats good to hear have you seen any ai hero besides boskk and maul and yoda ?
-- bf1 tcw battles

I saw Grievous once. Certainr heroes (Grievous, Dooku, Anakin and Obi-Wan) not appearing appears to be a bug and they are aware of it and will be fixing it.
In Progress:

On Hold:

yeah at least it will be fixed cant wait for when the ai will play as droidekas and vehicles.
-- bf1 tcw battles

October 09, 2019, 01:11:18 AM #9 Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 01:16:20 AM by Giftheck
Next week sees a patch that fixes a couple of issues with Instant Action and Co-Op, plus a new feature in the form of planet-appropriate appearances.

Fixed an issue where not all Hero AI would spawn on games of Instant Action.
Fixed an issue that would cause AI players to occasionally stand still when standing on the end of a navigable path.
Several improvements to the behavior of Hero AI carrying Lightsabers. Lightsaber-carrying Hero AI should now be able to get closer to targets and play more offensive.
Different default Appearances have been set up for the AI on CO-OP and Instant Action:
    212th Attack Battalion Phase 1 for Galactic Republic AI players on Geonosis - CO-OP
    212th Attack Battalion Phase 2 for Galactic Republic AI players on Geonosis - Instant Action
    Default Phase 1 for Galactic Republic AI players on Kamino - CO-OP
    104th Wolfpack Co. Phase 2 for Galactic Republic AI players on Kamino - Instant Action
    41st Elite Corps Phase 2 for Galactic Republic AI players on Kashyyyk - CO-OP and Instant Action
    327th Star Corps Phase 2 for Galactic Republic AI players on Felucia - CO-OP and Instant Action
    501st Legion Phase 2 for Galactic Republic AI players on Naboo - CO-OP and Instant Action
    B1 Droid Geonosis appearance for Separatist AI players on Geonosis - CO-OP and Instant Action.
    B1 Droid Jungle appearance for Separatist AI players on Kashyyyk - CO-OP and Instant Action.

Vehicle and Commando/Droideka AI are still being worked on and will be in the next content update (later this month IIRC), and they are also looking into unlocking all Star Cards and weapons ALA Arcade for Instant Action.

I have to say, immersion in the form of planet-appropriate appearances will be cool. I know some were upset at the 41st Elite Corps being used instead of the Scout Battallion, but remember: these aren't the same battles from the films, and this doesn't stop the player from playing as a 41st Scout.
In Progress:

On Hold:

I'm glad they're giving it so much attention and it's being received so well.

Hopefully OT and ST get the Capital Supremacy / Instant Action / Coop treatment.