3d Modeling [Work In Progress... forever]

Started by tirpider, June 08, 2013, 04:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I don't know, I'll have to check the count but if I use it I may have to delete the weapons on it (The SMG's and the DMR) plus I'm still not done with it, I still need to texture it and run it through ZETools (Which I can't do).
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Are you tired of our "guaranteed to explode when trigger is pulled on all of our blasters" policy? Here is our first blaster in our Non-exploding Budget Blaster Line, it will cost $50000000.98. No contracts need to be signed, but if you want to buy a blaster you have to sign a 176 page contract.

I woke up with this design in my head, so it's 100% from my brain. It might be for that sci-fi game. WIP

Jesus, look at the beautiful polygon count..

I do have a question, though; Have you dabbled in texture/uvmapping at all? I'm just guessing you have, but if you do, what tools would you recommend for doing a higher-end model like that, with the crazy slow UV systems running around and all..

Quote from: RepublicCommando on October 11, 2014, 12:33:30 PM
Jesus, look at the beautiful polygon count..

I do have a question, though; Have you dabbled in texture/uvmapping at all? I'm just guessing you have, but if you do, what tools would you recommend for doing a higher-end model like that, with the crazy slow UV systems running around and all..

I use Photoshop for making textures and for unwrapping, 3ds max thankfully has a built in uv unwrapper/mapper.
(if you don't use/have 3ds) If you don't mind converting (might not have to), I suggest getting what I have, the student version of 3ds max. If you get 3ds I suggest watching tutorials on youtube. I watch this guys videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSLLdTBwLMfTKWS56tOiQpw he has a couple videos on uv unwrapping (which I should watch, I've only read tutorials witch isn't as good as videos), alot of the stuff he teaches is probably useful to anybody.

I'm pretty new to texturing, what follows is how I would go about doing it. There is probably a better way of doing it...
For a model that's that complex I would probably have the model as several separate objects (since a weapon model with almost half a million polygons will probably never be used in a game), because when you uv map a single object with so much detail the unwrapped faces have less room and have to be small(take up less pixels) to fit into the allocated space for the texture(1024x1024, 2048x2048...). If you split the model up into different parts the unwrapped faces have more room and there for can fill up more room and be higher resolution. Or I guess the texture for the whole gun as one object could be like 10000x10000.

Here's a 1100000 polygon bearded axe. (not done)

This is going to become a normal map for the lower poly model.

Here is my current project (attached).

Once I finish this I'm going to work on my texturing skills and learn animation.

That's a grand blaster. Good luck with texturing!

November 18, 2014, 12:24:56 AM #157 Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 12:33:08 AM by {PLA} Van STING
Quote from: Unit 33 on November 18, 2014, 12:08:23 AM
That's a grand blaster. Good luck with texturing!

Thanks!  :)

It's from a dream I had one night and in that dream I was hunting aliens.

Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: ևltimσ on November 18, 2014, 04:39:56 AM
Can i join you...

Sure. You just have to sign this written agreement saying that the alien or I, will not be responsible for any bodily injuries or death (that happen to you on this hunt). 

Quote from: {PLA} Van STING on November 18, 2014, 12:26:14 PM
Sure. You just have to sign this written agreement saying that the alien or I, will not be responsible for any bodily injuries or death (that happen to you on this hunt).

Where is Ltin's Life Insurance when you need it?
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: {PLA} Van STING on October 22, 2014, 01:58:18 PM
Here's a 1100000 polygon bearded axe. (not done)

This is going to become a normal map for the lower poly model.

Looks like someone is going all the way with the highpoly sculpt. I was gonna be picking up Mudbox since it's cheaper (as well as the porting feature I can use with XSI/Maya).

Also, do you happen to use the Quixel dDo/nDo application with Photoshop or are you just going it old fashion with hand made masks and layers?
photobucket limit image removed

November 18, 2014, 02:24:44 PM #162 Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 02:40:06 PM by {PLA} Van STING
Quote from: Epifire on November 18, 2014, 02:14:44 PM
Looks like someone is going all the way with the highpoly sculpt. I was gonna be picking up Mudbox since it's cheaper (as well as the porting feature I can use with XSI/Maya).

Also, do you happen to use the Quixel dDo/nDo application with Photoshop or are you just going it old fashion with hand made masks and layers?

So far I've only done it the old fashioned way. I'm gonna have to get the student version of Quixel, it looks awesome.

I've heard Mudbox has all of the polys rendered at once (even the ones that are not visible), which would probably make it slower when there is allot of polys.

Quote from: {PLA} Van STING on November 18, 2014, 02:24:44 PM
So far I've only done it the old fashioned way. I'm gonna have to get the student version of Quixel, it looks awesome.

I've heard Mudbox has all of the polys rendered at once (even the ones that are not visible), which would probably make it slower when there is allot of polys.

Currently I think there is only the Quixel Suite (which I saved money with on the preorder  8)) but if you can somehow find the older beta version (non-PBR) I know that one is free. I also am still using it since I've been too lazy to figure out the new one that I paid for XD

I've heard a lot of good things about both Mudbox and Zbrush. Read a lotta comparison articles talking on the differences of the two and most have always said that Z has a bit more friendly with setting up the base meshes within it, whereas Mud requires that you generally have to import your source.

But yeah not sure how I got off on that. Coming back here sure makes me want to finish the rest of the map I still had going for BF1 though.
photobucket limit image removed

Quote from: Epifire on November 18, 2014, 06:12:26 PM
Currently I think there is only the Quixel Suite (which I saved money with on the preorder  8)) but if you can somehow find the older beta version (non-PBR) I know that one is free. I also am still using it since I've been too lazy to figure out the new one that I paid for XD

I've heard a lot of good things about both Mudbox and Zbrush. Read a lotta comparison articles talking on the differences of the two and most have always said that Z has a bit more friendly with setting up the base meshes within it, whereas Mud requires that you generally have to import your source.

But yeah not sure how I got off on that. Coming back here sure makes me want to finish the rest of the map I still had going for BF1 though.

Have you seen the "shadow box" feature in ZBrush?   http://pixologic.com/zbrush/features/shadowbox/    One thing I hate about ZBrush is the navigation controls.

My home school pays for educational stuff (I get to keep any software, books).

Bioshock fan?