A terrain issue regarding Geonosis map from SWBF2

Started by Red04SWBF, February 06, 2024, 12:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
February 06, 2024, 12:59:35 PM Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 01:01:54 PM by Red04 (CC-4398)
Hey! So I'm here again for a while it seems. ::)

This time I bring up once again an issue that seems it has been mentioned a few years ago but that has given me a lot of headache. Specifically, when I started converting the SWBF2 maps, there were two in particular that I was not able to convert (Geonosis and Kashyyyk). Looking back in time SleepKiller mentioned that perhaps some maps simply couldn't be converted due to some bugs, whether related to MSH or other files. However, he was able to port Geonosis: Dust Plains to SWBF1.

Apparently after several failed attempts I have realized that perhaps the error is in the terrain itself, since instead I tried to move all the objects on the map without modifying the terrain (just leaving the default .ter file created in BFBuilder for the first time and not doing the hex editing) and the map runs correctly ingame. Then I get to the point where I seem to find a clue: doing HEX editing step to make it usable, I tried ingame when the first 2-3 seconds after spawning suddenly the map crashes. When I re-munged my assets I realized these lines appeared below terrain munging (64bitMunge.bat console):

Munging Geo2.ter
Warning: Discarding additional water layer 1 != 15
Warning: Discarding additional water layer 6 != 15
Warning: Discarding additional water layer 10 != 15

I don't get what exactly means. AFAIK I guess this map does not use water particles or similar.

NOTE: I have also tried munging the terrain with SleepKiller's tool, following every step before munging the entire map files, but didn't work.
AR Clan Discord: https://discord.gg/gmmSm5e | Star Wars: Battlefront - 20th Anniversary (2004-2024)

Another option, as long as you're not using foliage, is to use BF2's munger (TerrainMunge.exe) to munge the terrain for BF1.  It sounds crazy but the BF2 version is actually not different from the first one except for foliage optimizations so you should be able to compile the original terrain file without hex editing.
(To do this quickly, rename your TerrainMunge in ToolsFL, put BF2's TerrainMunge in there, clean and munge your project.  After the project is done, you may want to swap it back because of foliage support.)
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on February 07, 2024, 05:34:40 AMAnother option, as long as you're not using foliage, is to use BF2's munger (TerrainMunge.exe) to munge the terrain for BF1.  It sounds crazy but the BF2 version is actually not different from the first one except for foliage optimizations so you should be able to compile the original terrain file without hex editing.
(To do this quickly, rename your TerrainMunge in ToolsFL, put BF2's TerrainMunge in there, clean and munge your project.  After the project is done, you may want to swap it back because of foliage support.)

Ok, I've tried your method but it still crashes... this time after 5 seconds since I spawned.

It's pretty weird since the terrain is shown in the game and AI can walk on it.

I think I'm not leaving anything out, I've put in all the .tga textures in the same folder as the .ter file, although for some reason there are parts of the terrain that appear painted white. I've attached a screenshot where you can see those white "spots".

About foliage there's a .prp file in BF2 source files for Geonosis in the same world folder. For now I would not use it.
AR Clan Discord: https://discord.gg/gmmSm5e | Star Wars: Battlefront - 20th Anniversary (2004-2024)

Hmm, very weird. If I get some time tomorrow evening I'll toy with jt.

'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Well, in case I fail to keep the map with said terrain, I would just try re-modelling it using ZeroEditor.

The truth is that I was going to try that but I found it very tempting due to the availability of the terrain already provided from the original SWBF2 assets (adding to the fact that I would have to readjust positions for all the objects, regions, CPs...).

Anyway, if you discover something I would be very grateful.

i couldnt even get it to munge when i tried converting this map to bf1. i have ported the kashyyyk map from bf2 to bf1 though
mods and maps in progress:<br />--Bf1 expanded edition 3.0 version
-- bf1 tcw battles
-- bf1 seasons mod season 1
-- bf2 expanded edition tbh

I got it munged but not in a way ZE can read it - only ingame.  It didn't crash after a long time of running it but I was really trying to find the source of the crash.

Yeah, it is such an odd bug or something...

No worries, I'll try to figure out if I can switch to another method to port the terrain. Taking into account that the terrain is nothing else than a fractal (geometrically speaking), perhaps it is possible to extract the heights of each point from the file. I think I would dare to dig into.

Also, I have seen BF1 ZeroEditor has an option to extract the heightmap, however the output format is a bit unusual (it looks like topographical) and the resolution is somewhat poor. It would have been very interesting if there had been an option to import these heighmaps.