Stepping through object

Started by Giftheck, November 05, 2018, 04:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm having an issue with a new object I'm putting into my modified Cloud City map.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

However, I'm having this problem with it:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Units will 'sink' in the middle ring. The issue only occurs in this middle ring, the collision for the rest of the object is fine. I haven't defined a separate collision object inside the MSH in this instance (I had previously but I still encountered this issue) as the object isn't particularly high-poly.

Not sure if this is a conflict between the object collision and the terrain, or whether there's an issue with the collision generated by the object.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

Quote from: Giftheck on November 05, 2018, 04:32:22 AM

Units will 'sink' in the middle ring. The issue only occurs in this middle ring, the collision for the rest of the object is fine. I haven't defined a separate collision object inside the MSH in this instance (I had previously but I still encountered this issue) as the object isn't particularly high-poly.

Not sure if this is a conflict between the object collision and the terrain, or whether there's an issue with the collision generated by the object.

I'm curious if the grass is part of the terrain, or if it's part of the custom model? Do you always sink into it, or does it only happen when walking from the grass onto the ring? Can you jump and land on the surface correctly? (Can you only get 'into' the model from the side?)

If not, my initial thought is maybe the inner ring has some polys that have their normals flipped (the poly is facing downward)
I'd check that if you're not sure, and then one thing I've done with low-poly models is just duplicate the mesh and make the duplicate a collision.

Quote from: Idren on November 07, 2018, 06:41:16 PM
I'm curious if the grass is part of the terrain, or if it's part of the custom model? Do you always sink into it, or does it only happen when walking from the grass onto the ring? Can you jump and land on the surface correctly? (Can you only get 'into' the model from the side?)

If not, my initial thought is maybe the inner ring has some polys that have their normals flipped (the poly is facing downward)
I'd check that if you're not sure, and then one thing I've done with low-poly models is just duplicate the mesh and make the duplicate a collision.

The grass is part of the model. Jumping on to the middle ring still has the same effect. The collision I have added since is just a duplicate of the mesh sans material but the issue still persists.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

I've heard that when polygons are close and compact collisions don't work well. Food for thought

Yes, the game can't handle with such complicated collision, so you need to select your model, and click in Modify>Poly.Mesh>Polygon Reduction, then choose the Ratio value which is ok for you.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Can I break the collision model up as well? It wouldn't be that complex if I broke it up into separate models for each ring.
In Progress:

On Hold: