Free Voice Chat Options?

Started by Gold Man, September 02, 2015, 08:05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys,

So, for those unaware, my friends and I actively use Skype to voice chat while in-game. Unfortunately, this put a major hole in my family's bandwidth for the month. We attempted using Steam shortly after, however the voice quality just got to be so bad at certian points. At least with Skype I could make out what my friends were saying half the time, but with Steam it's really bad quality.

So, I ask of thee, are there any good voicing alternatives to Skype or Steam? We are preferably looking for something we don't have to pay for (hence the title). I tried looking online, but I can't quite decide what programs would work best for us. It would be much appreciated if you guys could offer some suggestions/opinions our way. :)

Teamspeak is always a good alternative. Much less bandwidth, much less disk usage, much Better voice quality. I would recommend it- infact, you and your friend can use the SWBFGamers Teamspeak server so you don't have to host your own server. I can give you access to my channel, so you and your friend can go private.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

September 02, 2015, 09:18:54 AM #2 Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 10:23:48 AM by Gold Man
Quote from: chameleon on September 02, 2015, 09:08:32 AM
Teamspeak is always a good alternative. Much less bandwidth, much less disk usage, much Better voice quality. I would recommend it- infact, you and your friend can use the SWBFGamers Teamspeak server so you don't have to host your own server. I can give you access to my channel, so you and your friend can go private.
You sure? Our small group has expanded to a total of 15 people, whom we all know through various means.

I have started looking at Razer Comms and GameVox (which was made by some of the guys who made Mumble and TS). Kind of leaning that way personally, but if you feel up to the task of hosting a voice chat that will have 15 players in it total (only about 4-6 of us though are active at one given time though), I won't turn down the offer.

I might see what more people have in mind though before I go fourth with the offer, Ultimo. ;)

Swbfgamers' ts has a slot limit of 512 users, so u can invite anyone.
Also u can create ur own channel
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Just to add to what Anyder and GM said, I have control of the CPC channel on the SWBFGamers Teamspeak, and I'm willing to give GM's group a sub-channel. However, if they want to, they can get Led to make them a private channel if they so choose.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Hmm, I see.

I spoke with one of my friends about it today, and he wouldn't mind at all if we went that route. Though since not everyone in our Steam group is exactly active all the time, it might take a day or two to get most if not everyone's opinion. I'm presuming most of these guys have TS, but I'll have to talk it over more with my group.

For now though, it's looking like we might go TS. I'll let ya know about which way we'll go over the channel thing later though. :)

It's no problem to set up a private channel, just let me know  :cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet