Freeware WRL Importers

Started by {TCE}Call-of-Duty, January 20, 2014, 10:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Yeah because of my problems with ZETools I need a freeware WRL inporter so I can export them into something to put on XSI, any ideas?
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

I don't know of a WRL importer for XSI.

I know the MSH Viewer will let you drop a wrl on it, then you can save it as a msh. Then use ZETools to import that msh in to XSI.
It isn't the best at the conversion, and doesn't work for all wrl's though.

If you can find a program that loads the wrl you have, then export it to an obj or fbx, then XSI should be able to import that.

January 20, 2014, 01:19:56 PM #2 Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 07:42:55 PM by -RepublicCommando-
I think he was saying that he was using WRL MSH pipeline with ZETools, but ZETools isn't importing MSH right. - edit: Derp.. Just reread what you said. Why do I even post :facedesk:

I would normally use Blender to import/export WRL files (I think you have to change some User preferences in order to import it.. don't remember)and just use OBJ from there with XSI.

Be prepared to reconstruct materials :shrug:

I built a simple model converter with GM a long while back, but I've since deleted it and it's source (I stopped with GM a while back..)
Certainly pays off to write your own tools.. As long as you don't delete them :P

If only I knew how to script and create tools for 3D CAD programs

Yea I tried the Blender import and nothing showed up... troubleshooting?

Corrupt WRL file?
You might check to see how large the file actually is (note pad or something)
Should be quite big if it has any geometry at all.
Can you view it in BFViewer? If it doesn't show up there, is definitely is corrupt.

Yep its defiantly corrupt, it doesn't come up in the viewer, it just keeps the model that I loaded last. Is there any way we can fix it

Just realized a said basically the exact same thing Tirps said after reading what he said ..
-
I don't think you have much hope fixing a corrupt model.. Unless you could reconstruct the file manually (notepad and lots of duck tape).

Did you create the model or get it from somewhere else? Either way, you should be able to find an alternate source (TF3DM website has multiple model format choice(other sites should be no different)/use a saved scene of the model you made and export it as something else?)

I can't really tell what to do because it's not sitting in front of me, but by the sound of it, looks like a bust.

January 21, 2014, 02:51:59 PM #8 Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:33:05 PM by {TCE}Call-of-Duty
The site you said didn't have the model, I want to take a Westar-M5 model and chop off the scope and the stock to make it a SMGish gun, happen to have a working WRL model or better yet a OBJ, DAE, or FBX Westar-M5 model.

EDIT: A visual representation (Ow, big words make my thinker box hurt)

January 21, 2014, 04:28:40 PM #9 Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:33:09 PM by Gold Man
Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on January 21, 2014, 02:51:59 PM
The site you said didn't have the model, I want to take a Westar-M5 model and chop off the scope and the stock to make it a SMGish gun, happen to have a working WRL model or better yet a OBJ, DAE, or FBX Westar-M5 model.

I know I'm not a modder, but just to understand this right, you want the Westar M5 to look like this?

I used my PhotoWizard HD tools on my iPad and wound up with that, based off your visual representation's directions. Put everything where you stated, and wondered if you wanted it like this. No, I do not have a file format of that, I whooped it up in PhotoWizard, so it's basically a .jpg file. More or less a visual understanding of your representation. :P

No the barrel be nudged over the weird tube

Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on January 21, 2014, 02:51:59 PM

So, couldn't you just import an OBJ version of it in XSI and export just like normal? (Maybe I'm missing something here.. sounds too easy)
-- Btw, where can that M5 be found? I recall messing with one a very long time ago, just don't recall where I got it.

January 21, 2014, 04:45:33 PM #12 Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:46:17 PM by {TCE}Call-of-Duty
Your right, I can't get the OBJ cause every time I try to make a WRL, its corrupt. And I think I got it from GT, if not FileFront

EDIT: I want it to look like this

ANOTHER EDIT: Thanks to GM's suggestion, he had inspired me to make a matching pistol with nothing but a Westar pic, GIMP, a expensive welder that Oswald dropped, some duct tape, glue, and a few band-aids

I just photoshopped a shotgun with some Westar and custom E11 parts... really need those OBJ, DAE, or FBX models right now (I got the E11 from the Main Play Mod assets... I think :shrug:)