Model limit for map?

Started by Ginev, September 29, 2017, 07:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Does someone know how much models you can put on your map?Cuz i am getting weird bug while i am loading my map the loading screen go to full loaded and stuck there.When i remove few models the map work again.The models i am removing work but for some reason when i put few more the map stuck on loading.I just want to say i am using the Star Wars First Assault models extracted from the demo game and there is ton and ton of model parts.

Object density shouldn't be a problem, after all Sereja's made maps recently with plenty of detailed objects. It might be the level of detail in your objects. Maybe try replacing the ojects temporarily with poly-reduced versions and see if that works. If it does, I'd take the HD objects from First Assault and manually reduce the polys.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

September 30, 2017, 08:47:53 AM #2 Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 11:24:24 PM by Ginev
I will try portals and sectors in zero engine to hide unseen models but if that do not work i will try to combine some models together to try reduce the model count hower on the long run i still need to use 5 times more models to finish the map.I remember AQT in gametoast was talking something about too long odf and msh names.

There are some things I would try doing. I don't know if any of them will help but I'll throw them out there.

Firstly I assume you have already done this but I'll mention it for completeness. Make sure it isn't just the models you added most recently to the map causing the problem. Try swapping them out for random stock models just to see if you can get it to load with the objects in the world. If it does load you know a couple of the models are at fault and not the count of them. (Like I said I think you'll already have done this or something to the effect of this.)

If it is indeed the number of named models at fault a trick you could try using is to merge any detail models in the same area into one mesh. I wouldn't do this with any that requires collision unless it was a really small area. This might help you get the model count down.

However the above is useless if it's the number of model segments causing the problem. You can try a similar merge trick but things get complicated once you introduce different textures and materials.

Another question is; how much video ram do you have it? All the vertex buffers (and index buffers) have to be going somewhere and they can take up a lot of space. It could be your video card itself is running out of memory. An unlikely event but I thought I would mention it. (Two solutions in this case. Buy a video card with more memory or sadly reduce the vertex count and face count.)

Assuming none of the above a long shot solution could be to run model-edit over your world's munged folder with a factor of 4 or 8. (Beware it requires .NET Framework 4.0 which in turn requires at least Windows XP Service Pack 3) It probably wouldn't cause any change but it would be worth a shot before resorting to other heavier solutions.

Also I've assumed in this post that a model is not equal an object instance. That is you're problem is coming from having too many discrete *.msh files in your world not the number of objects using that *.msh. Correct me if I misinterpreted.

Im sure the problem is not from some badly exported model cuz before i begin making the map i tested every single model on a empty map and they are working.After today i have 2 free days and i will try some tricks.I will tell the results later.