Tournament 1 ~ The Tale of the 501st

Started by Mac, January 25, 2009, 09:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I know. Maybe you would just subtract a straight amount for number of rounds missed. The way i see it, if you join late, you're looking to play with friends, not really to win. Otherwise, someone can join in the last round, kill one or two people, then sit out the rest of the round and end with a positive score and do well. it's just not fair to those who were there the whole game.

^I'm not mad at anyone or anything in this post. I'm just pitching ideas ;)

add 10% to everyones score for rounds play. ex: Bob plays 1 round his core X 1.1 ect. ect.

Oh bother, I missed it. I forgot and started playing a different computer game *whistles*

Quote from: "Vanir"I know. Maybe you would just subtract a straight amount for number of rounds missed. The way i see it, if you join late, you're looking to play with friends, not really to win. Otherwise, someone can join in the last round, kill one or two people, then sit out the rest of the round and end with a positive score and do well. it's just not fair to those who were there the whole game.

^I'm not mad at anyone or anything in this post. I'm just pitching ideas ;)

Hmm, maybe you could elaborate on this in a separate topic. I suggest posting a new thread in the Tournament forum.

@ MF: No more Empire at War for you!

Lol, I think I missed it because I was watching MF play Empire at War. *whistles*

that acutally is a good idea vanir, because i got third while the people who stayed in the whole time and got negative scores got less than me. Soy our idea would make it more fair :)

I think a more elaborate formula then just averaging the scores would be better. Does Pi have any ideas? (I know you're good at math)

Sure. I'll even write a simple C function to parse the scores:
]
#define WIN 1;
#define LOSE 0;
bool DidWin(int score, char *name) {
    if(strcmp(name, "{ACW} The Pi")) {
         return WIN;
    } else {
         return LOSE;
    }
}

Best part is that the code would actually work!

The hardest part of defining a formula is what if they got a negative score. Any division would improve the score.

What about if we take the average for the players in each map and apply that score to the late player. It keeps a penalty all the time since the player who joined can never get a score that is the top score. It may be a bit time consuming, but I could easily write a quick little HTML page to solve for the late scores automatically.

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"

Thanks Pi!

How about instead of dividing negative scores you multiply them by the number or rounds? Or is that too unfair?

still won't work, since the negative scores would just get worse and worse. Multiplication, division, and exponents won't work with this at all

Also, instead of going with the average we could go with the median score, since one person with a super high score could boost the average to second place.

Or, if we really wanted to be mean (no pun intended), we could just give them the lowest score of the round.

Quote from: "The_Pi"still won't work, since the negative scores would just get worse and worse. Multiplication, division, and exponents won't work with this at all

Also, instead of going with the average we could go with the median score, since one person with a super high score could boost the average to second place.

Or, if we really wanted to be mean (no pun intended), we could just give them the lowest score of the round.

I guess we could go with the mean score, but that would be a pain in the butt for some people. They might have a super good round, but then lose it to some mediocre ones. I think we'll have to stick with something more basic.

I meant only applying the mean to the late joiners