[SOLVED]Texture Problem

Started by Jango, April 02, 2010, 06:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 02, 2010, 06:48:23 PM Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 05:11:56 PM by Jango
I use GIMP to make all my skins and usually works great, but some of the skins when i open them have transparency over the skin, and when i remove the transparency the normal color is gone. What should i do? I dont see how the transparency doesnt show up ingame. I guess i could just edit it with the transparency, although it would be harder to see what it looks like. I tried to have differnet colored mandolorians by putting in a line in the soldier odfs such as OverrideTexture      = "green_mando", but nothing changed.
There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

get paintshop pro  :P
I have not used gimp so I wouldnt know what to do. Pantshop Pro works really good for skinning though.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

http://files.filefront.com/tut3wmv/;9755495;/fileinfo.html
http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=21268

The video tutorial is clear but slightly outdated, to access the "decompose" command I mention, you need to go to "Colors->Components->Decompose."

that works great, except it takes away all of the color. How can i have several units with the same msh file, but each one having a different texture?
There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

That doesn't "take away" anything; practice some more and make sure you understand what you are doing - all you're doing there is extracting an alpha channel, modifying your texture, and then re-applying the same alpha channel. The texture doesn't change.

In answer to your question:
http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6040
It may be worthwhile for you to simply search for your answers at Gametoast; I can promise you that nearly any question you might have has probably already been answered there. The things I'm posting I didn't even have to search for, they're direct links from our tutorial thread.

I can't get into my gametoast account. I get a weird pop up. It was milehighguy that helped me along time ago. I open tga file then drop down the Layer tab to find Mask and then select Add Layer Mask. Then in window I click Transfer Layer's alpha channel and click Add. Now I go back to Layer and drop down to Mask again and look for Disable Layer Mask and click it. At this point to edit the skin I uncheck Edit Layer Mask. And to change colors the Colors tab has cool simple ways to make something look very different. Now to get the alpha channel back I go back to the Layer and Mask and select Apply Layer Mask and then save as you know the rest, cool changes.

If I remember correctly only certain models support the option to have override textures, the ARC trooper and I think the sniper and pilot might. Look at the ARC trooper's odf to see how to use the over ride texture option

thanks for the link maveritchell. Sorry that i didnt think of checking gametoast. this topic can be locked or whatever ya'll do to topics. :tu: