Rhen Var Massive Assault

Started by wookieejedi, March 29, 2010, 06:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I have been trying to figure out space maps for the longest time, but I have finally decided that it is not worth it, so I am going to take what I have learned, like auto turrets and bot mapping, and create an addition to a already great map. Rhen Var Harbor is one of my most favorite maps, as it is large and has lots of different types of fighting in it.

My plan is to take the current Harbor Map, add custom sides, and add on way more stuff. For example more tanks, expanded battle area, more urban fighting, better AI, more attackers advantage, put in Auto Turrets, give special units like Jedi, take all that flat ice area and add ruins and more towers, make the map and actual challenge to beat, and so on.

Any other ideas any one has and wants to post I will try to add and incorporate. And of course if any one wants to help that would be awesome, although I could do it by myself, two heads or more is always better then one.

Hey this sounds great. I had a few Rhen Var maps myself. what was the name of it...Dirty Ice? That incorporated Harbor, a huge slide, and a few ships. It was really amazing how high and low the terrain could get. But I didn't find that map very fun. Maybe it was just too big. A Harbor remake would be great. Thinking about Rhan Var Harbor map itself, I would like to see the buildings partake in more of the fight, you know? Because the fight is always just in the field or in a tank and the really cool buildings never are fought in. Like on the two back defending CPs, there's these buildings that are never occupied because there's no reason to be in there. You have to go out of your way just to explore these buildings. I think increasing the field battle, the tank battle would be great. But i'd also love to see some melee action going on inside the stone cathedral things. Anyways, that's my thoughts. And I'm a fan of every map in SWBF that has a playable jedi, extra rancors, more sarlacc pits, extreme greatness, jawas running around, ponds, flower pots (like Theed), and trap doors.  It'd be cool to have all these things in Rhen Var, wouldn't you say? Btw, will you put ships into this map? Good Luck! :happy:

Of course will put ships in

Yeah I want to definitely map some ruins fighting like in Rhen Var Citadel. I want every inch of this map to be a battle

My vision would be strong Rebel and Clone defenses like trenches and lots of cover with auto turrets, then a massive attacking force with lots of tanks and bombers(?) Definitely I will put in my custom Jedi which I have tried to make extremely realistic and fun to be, plus lots of explosion everywhere using auto turrets

Thanks for the suggestions

What kellemarie10 said. In addition I would like to see the ice tunnels made into more of maze with more exits and entrances to the battle area. Maybe another exit by the back CP and maybe one coming out of the mountain where the mobile CPs regenerate. Just a thought.

Quote from: kellemarie10 on March 29, 2010, 10:59:15 AM
Hey this sounds great. I had a few Rhen Var maps myself. what was the name of it...Dirty Ice? That incorporated Harbor, a huge slide, and a few ships. It was really amazing how high and low the terrain could get. But I didn't find that map very fun. Maybe it was just too big.
OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!! I LOVED DIRTY ICE IT WAS ONE OF MY FAV MAPS EVERRRR, but maybe thats just because i had enough terrain for my speeder skillz xD

Quote from: SchTicK on March 29, 2010, 01:49:20 PM
What kellemarie10 said. In addition I would like to see the ice tunnels made into more of maze with more exits and entrances to the battle area. Maybe another exit by the back CP and maybe one coming out of the mountain where the mobile CPs regenerate. Just a thought.
also every map i played whit a "ice maze" was enormous lagg in SP and MP ;__; however if it wouldnt lagg they would be great maps

"Better not be at all than not be noble" - Lord Alfred Tennyson
https://www.facebook.com/SWBFGamers
https://twitter.com/swbfuniverse

This map sounds like it has potential to be very fun :tu:
Here are some suggestions:
You should have the attackers have heavy transports (AT-AT, MTT) and definitely bombers, and not to complex of a tunek system, maybe just a tunel that the attackers have that leads behind the lines of the enemy (if youve played Rakas Adventure, like the entrance to the castle).  Also have a couple if vacant buildings, if possible, as a location for snipers, AA turrets or beam turrets or Concussion turrets like from swbf2.  Maybe also a flack turret from ranen lavafields.  You could also have an airstrip somewhere behind the main city area on the defenders side where fighters and AA turrets are.  The attackers sould also have a bunch of transports and bombers, hopefully the AI will be smart enough to land them and deploy their troops.

Great ideas everyone, keep them coming. And f course if any one wants to help :) .
So far I am only using the space proved in the original map, but I am just making it way better, my theory is that good smaller amounts of fighting are way more fun then huge tiny little amounts or way spread out occasional skirmishes. 

Quote from: wookieejedi on March 29, 2010, 04:50:22 PM
Great ideas everyone, keep them coming. And f course if any one wants to help :) .
So far I am only using the space proved in the original map, but I am just making it way better, my theory is that good smaller amounts of fighting are way more fun then huge tiny little amounts or way spread out occasional skirmishes.
Good ideas.

The map coujld use a little more room, but i understand your need to keep it small.  I just played Rhen Var Dirty Ice and size was a major setback. I may want to help, that is if i get my PC before you already finish.  I may not be getting it for a while, and right now i just have macs and cant mod :(

Maybe if you delete the 2 cps for (rep/ emp) and destroy then you can make it an invasion of a small town in the ice area. Like

"Better not be at all than not be noble" - Lord Alfred Tennyson
https://www.facebook.com/SWBFGamers
https://twitter.com/swbfuniverse

Good news and bad news. Good news I am almost done. Bad news, no custom sides. More good news, way more fun battle and holy cow it gets to be some intense firefighting and crossfire. Though no bombers or heavy transports. Sorry I ran out of time, I do have more tanks, melee fighting, field fighting, more bots though. Plus a high mountain bridge, and covered ice tunnels entrances. I will release the assets though in case any one wants to continue. The problem I had was that the original cps and paths didn't show up in zero edit, but they did in the game, but it doesn't hurt anything. So yeah it will probably be up tomorrow, the map and the assets. It is still quite a fun little map though, in my opinion :).   

What time limit do you exactly have? just kinda confused as to why its really a problem, we're not in any rush :)

In anycase, it sounds like a nice map can't wait to see it.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

Sorry I should have been more specific, I am on Spring Break, and I had to do some stuff for my Prof and now I don't have a lot of time left for free.

Thanks I am glad you are eager to see it. :)

sounds like a map worth playing :tu: I had cps and stuff show up when i had edited tatooine that only showed up ingame too.
There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

Sounds Great :tu: Cant wait to play it