How to play SWBF2 with Gamespy down

Started by Anyder, July 26, 2014, 06:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: PatriotNorwood on July 27, 2014, 01:33:28 PM
To tell you the truth Led I do not know what is causing the issue for me, and I am not the only one with it. But GameRanger freezes if I try to join or host any game. And I read on the official forums that he was having some issues with Windows 8 compatibility, I am not sure if it is related though. I also have internet that does not allow port forwarding...

Nothing on the internet keeps you from port forwarding. If you have a router, then you port forward automatically for a lot of things, whether you realize it or not.  When we talk about port forwarding here for SWBF, we are meaning a manual set up of your router to send the traffic to a designated game computer.

If you have a direct connection to the internet like the NFO server, or at home without a router, then you don't need to do any port forwarding.

Anyway, if you have an issue with gameranger, it is because of windows 8, not portforwarding, since gameranger doesn't need portforwarding.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I understand what you are saying, and yes it is probably a Windows 8 issue, but what I was trying to say is (and Scott Kevill agreed) with the Verizon MiFi hotspot it is impossible, to port forward as only Verizon can modify it. But I guess that is another issue...
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014

ok, you have a bit of a different setup then

So is online for SWBFII just dead? Or am I just using the solution to play online that no one else is using?

There's not very many people on at all...
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Is there another method that a large portion of the old SWBFII community (before the shutdown) is using? Or is there really no one left.

There are two master servers set up for SWBF2.  You should check GameToast for details.  One is GameMaster, and the other is a new OpenSpy implementation.

I can't seem to find any others besides the solution originally posted for this topic. I guess old players didn't search out a solution?

The Number of people on varys depending on the time of day. I know that if I'm on during the early afternoon there are still usually one or two full servers, while in the evening there are only a couple of people.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on October 15, 2014, 09:36:14 PM
I can't seem to find any others besides the solution originally posted for this topic. I guess old players didn't search out a solution?

Ask these guys:
http://swgohome.com/phpBB3/

Bomber mentioned another way to play that wasnt  gamemaster (if im not wrong, in this topic)
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

October 16, 2014, 01:41:27 PM #24 Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 01:52:20 PM by [FC]BoMbeR
From my understanding there is only three ways to play SWBF2 online. GameMaster, GameRanger and FreeGST.

Everyone knows what GameMaster is obviously. It was the most popular one out of them all. I haven't played Swbf2 in a couple months but when I was playing everyone was using that.

FreeGST never took off. It had some cool features added to it like fixing the team chat colors but it had a issue with servers not being able to be restarted until you changed the port of your server. Not sure if they fixed it but I'm pretty sure it's dead.

GameRanger is a thrid party LAN program similar to Tungle, I noticed a decent amount of players use it. When I was playing though Game Master was more populated. So I don't know if players from GameMaster moved to GameRanger or not. I find it stupid to move over to GameRanger due to losing the capability to run Dedicated servers but that's just me.

Quote from: Led on July 27, 2014, 01:44:33 PM
Nothing on the internet keeps you from port forwarding. If you have a router, then you port forward automatically for a lot of things, whether you realize it or not.  When we talk about port forwarding here for SWBF, we are meaning a manual set up of your router to send the traffic to a designated game computer.

If you have a direct connection to the internet like the NFO server, or at home without a router, then you don't need to do any port forwarding.

Anyway, if you have an issue with gameranger, it is because of windows 8, not portforwarding, since gameranger doesn't need portforwarding.

Lol? It depends what type of router you have, just because you didn't have to port forward doesn't mean everyone doesn't have too. I run Widows 7 and I had to forward my ports to use it. But the easiest solution to this is just to DMZ your router. Then you don't have to worry about port forwarding anything.
Wusi best ever Swbf2
http://i.imgur.com/2jizSKw.jpg

Wusi rq
http://i.imgur.com/KESelEN.jpg

Birdo best ever Swbf2

Long live -SR- greatest Swbf2 clan!

Quote from: [FC]BoMbeR on October 16, 2014, 01:41:27 PM

Lol? It depends what type of router you have, just because you didn't have to port forward doesn't mean everyone doesn't have too. I run Widows 7 and I had to forward my ports to use it. But the easiest solution to this is just to DMZ your router. Then you don't have to worry about port forwarding anything.

You have taken my quote out of context.  He was saying something on "the internet" at large was restricting his ability to portforward. 

The ability to portward is a local issue, not an internet issue.

These files are not for MAC OS X YOSEMITE are they? I was watching your video on how to play the game since in Yosmite it does nothing but close down instantly as it starts. Where is the file for OSX?

There are different ports for BF but i haven't seen one with GameMaster included, try asking Unit 33 since he uses a Mac port for BF.
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

You either have to run the original SWBF for mac on an old OS and then you can play Gameranger (mac only) or
you have to run wine or some PC emulator and run the PC version with the gamemaster patch (if you want to play online).

Ask unit33 or kitfisto for more details.

Quote from: zeem1596 on February 11, 2015, 04:11:12 PM
These files are not for MAC OS X YOSEMITE are they? I was watching your video on how to play the game since in Yosmite it does nothing but close down instantly as it starts. Where is the file for OSX?
Watch this. :)