SWBFII PC for Mac port tutorial?

Started by Kit Fisto, June 08, 2013, 06:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys, I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to create a tutorial on how to play SWBFII PC on a Mac? The tutorial would be almost the same as my "How to play SWBF on Mac 10.5.8 or higher" tutorial. I have lots of time on my hands now and if you guys think it would benifit the community (both SWBFI and II) then I'll do it. Let me know what you guys think. :cheers:

Is it already supported through Steam?  Or is that PC only?
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Nope it's PC only, it was never officially ported. But there's a wine wrapped thingy out there somewhere.

It was never officially ported and I don't think it will ever be. But there is the cider/wine wrapper that works like a charm. Everything worked from the map colors to the online multiplayer. Here is the link to the port. http://portingteam.com/files/file/7010-star-wars-battlefront-ii/
It was made by the same guy who created the very good SWBFI port. It says link is dead but I have a backup of 3 of his ports on my media fire account.

I think I'll make a tutorial if this for 3 reasons.

1) The entire port page has been removed on the website that hosted it. In short, there is no way anyone else has access to the port.

2) SWBFGamers is starting to be more SWBFII friendly.

3) The port works really well. I have no problems with it except a minor audio glitch but it really is great. I want other people to have as much fun as I am having with SWBFII and all on the comfort of my Mac OS. No need to boot into windows! And a few more people to play this game online wont hurt. :)

It (the tutorial) will be very similar to the SWBFI tutorial. But I will show you how to use Wine instead of the installer. I've been having trouble with the installer and Wine can be used to install large SWBFII mods.

Which brings me to my next point.
In the tutorial should I include how to install Dark Times II, 1.3 Patch and Marvel4's conversions?
They have become essential to my SWBFII game (with a few other era mods and maps).

Do you guys think that would be a good idea?
The port and the mod tutorial? One or the other? Both?

Quote from: Kit Fisto on July 05, 2013, 06:56:06 AM
Which brings me to my next point.
In the tutorial should I include how to install Dark Times II, 1.3 Patch and Marvel4's conversions?
They have become essential to my SWBFII game (with a few other era mods and maps).

Do you guys think that would be a good idea?
The port and the mod tutorial? One or the other? Both?

Using those as an example is a good idea, installing mods could be a subsection of the same tutorial, so players don't have to get redirected around.

Quote from: UNIT 33 on July 05, 2013, 07:09:14 AM
Using those as an example is a good idea, installing mods could be a subsection of the same tutorial, so players don't have to get redirected around.
I'll probably do that. I know I'll show them how to install DTII but should I show them how to install one single addon map or just stick with those conversions?

Quote from: Kit Fisto on July 05, 2013, 02:04:19 PM
I'll probably do that. I know I'll show them how to install DTII but should I show them how to install one single addon map or just stick with those conversions?
Either? Both? I dunno, it's your tutorial.

Quote from: UNIT 33 on July 05, 2013, 02:57:48 PM
Either? Both? I dunno, it's your tutorial.
If you were to use the port and you were using my tutorial which would be easier for you?

Quote from: Kit Fisto on July 05, 2013, 03:05:38 PM
If you were to use the port and you were using my tutorial which would be easier for you?

Well alright, go with the conversions because us Mac players will be more familiar with SWBF1 maps, and it's a good place to start.

Cool. I'll do that. I'll begin work on it as soon as I get bored with Battle Royal Mod. Perhaps you won't get a tutorial...