Playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 On Linux

Started by Cpl. Hicks, January 14, 2017, 02:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I run on Ubuntu 16.04 (Linux) operating system. I was wondering, how do I play online if I'm using Linux?

Quote from: Cpl. Hicks on January 14, 2017, 02:57:36 PM
I run on Ubuntu 16.04 (Linux) operating system. I was wondering, how do I play online if I'm using Linux?

You can try using wine.  You can search for some instructions on the web in general.  Good luck with it!
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Quote from: Led on January 14, 2017, 02:58:59 PM
You can try using wine.  You can search for some instructions on the web in general.  Good luck with it!
The game works perfectly through Wine for me. And I've already put "SWBFSpy.exe" in the "GameData" folder for battlefront. When I go to the multiplayer tab, it brings up the server list. But when I try to join a server, after it finishes loading it says "Lost Connection To Host"
Any Ideas how to fix this?

Quote from: Cpl. Hicks on January 15, 2017, 02:44:54 PM

The game works perfectly through Wine for me. And I've already put "SWBFSpy.exe" in the "GameData" folder for battlefront. When I go to the multiplayer tab, it brings up the server list. But when I try to join a server, after it finishes loading it says "Lost Connection To Host"
Any Ideas how to fix this?

I don't think anyone else here uses wine on Linux.  There might be some settings in wine that you can adjust, but I think you are on your own.  Let us know if you get it to work and what you did.   :cheers:

Quote from: Led on January 15, 2017, 03:02:43 PM
I don't think anyone else here uses wine on Linux.  There might be some settings in wine that you can adjust, but I think you are on your own.  Let us know if you get it to work and what you did.   :cheers:
I think I've figured out what the problem is. Since I'm using Wine, it takes a really long time to load up. And I believe if you are joining a server for longer than 60 seconds, that you get automatically booted from the server or it will "Time Out". And it takes me about 2 minutes to load up the map, so I think everything works but I'm getting "Timed Out" or booted. Let me know if anyone knows how to get the game to load up faster. Thank you for your help.

You might see if you can set a high priority for the Linux wine process.

Bump
Quote from: Cpl. Hicks on January 16, 2017, 08:06:53 AM
I think I've figured out what the problem is. Since I'm using Wine, it takes a really long time to load up. And I believe if you are joining a server for longer than 60 seconds, that you get automatically booted from the server or it will "Time Out". And it takes me about 2 minutes to load up the map, so I think everything works but I'm getting "Timed Out" or booted. Let me know if anyone knows how to get the game to load up faster. Thank you for your help.
I have actually managed to make Battlefront work awesomely on Wine, the only problem being slow loading times, a guy actually found a fix, but you have to compile a special version of wine in order to implement the patch in the build, here's a link to the bug that is currently worked on :
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=29582
Hang to ground men !  :P
Also, check out my total conversion for BF1: Ferocious Battlefront
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ferocious-battlefront

RELEASE INCOMING

yes I belive you do need a " special version of wine" to run it fast for joining server.

good luck fellow Linux user!  :cheers:
"a tool is a tool, it isn't inherently evil or good." -Sleep killer