WIP: BFBuilder Common Problems and Solutions

Started by Led, September 18, 2012, 07:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
This post will be reserved for Q & A for resolving BFBuilder problems.  Please help identify problems and solutions.  I need a comprehensive reference for everyone that has problems.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

September 18, 2012, 07:47:11 PM #1 Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:58:24 PM by Phobos
Problem: Buildings scrambled around when loaded in zeroeditor.
Solution: Open the config.ini in the map's DataID folder, add this line to the bottom:
FlipModelX = 1
Save, close and set config.ini to read-only.

Problem: BFBuilder (normal or pro) does not let you create DataID folders of stock map names.
Solution: Edit BFBuilderPro.hta with notepad. Remove this entire section of code and save:
Function NewWorld()
    CreateNew.style.visibility = "hidden"
    ProjectMenuButtonDisabled.style.visibility = "hidden"
    dim modnametitle
    dim modnameshort
    dim modnameshortdata
    modnametitle = vmodnametitle.value
    modnameshort = vmodnameshortn.value
    erastoinclude = eras.value
    modnameshortu = UCase(vmodnameshortn.value)
    modnameshortdata = "Data"&modnameshort
    modid=modnameshortu   
    'MsgBox erastoinclude
    Select Case LCase(modid)
        Case "bes1"
            MsgBox modid&" Already Exists in Game"
        Case "bes2"
        Case  "geo1"
        Case "hot1"
        Case "kam1"
        Case "kas1"
        Case "kas2"
        Case "nab1"
        Case "nab2"
        Case "rhn1"
        Case "rhn2"
        Case "tat1"
        Case "tat2"
        Case "tat3"
        Case "yav1"
        Case "yav2"
        Case "mod1"
            MsgBox modid&" Already Exists"
        Case "mod2"
        Case "template"
        Case Else
            dim fso
            set fso=CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
            If fso.FolderExists(modnameshortdata) Then
                MsgBox modnameshortdata &" Folder Already Exists", 16
            Else
                Call CreateModFolder(modnameshortdata,modnametitle,erastoinclude)
            End If
            set fso = nothing
    End Select
End Function

June 14, 2015, 10:05:39 AM #2 Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 12:17:59 PM by Led
Whenever I try to create a new map or edit a pre-existing one, this happens.  :rant:

I want to create my own map with 3 sides, and I have really neat ideas, but I have a feeling that nobody would want to do it for me so I was going to try and do it myself. I cannot do this if the  :censored: editor won't work!
In the Soviet Army, it takes more courage to retreat than advance.

Quote from: KommissarReb on June 14, 2015, 10:05:39 AM
Whenever I try to create a new map or edit a pre-existing one, this happens.  :rant:

I want to create my own map with 3 sides, and I have really neat ideas, but I have a feeling that nobody would want to do it for me so I was going to try and do it myself. I cannot do this if the  :censored: editor won't work!

Calm down.  Partial curse words to get around the censor filter will get you official warnings and eventually muted.

Now, to answer your BFbuilder issue (at least what I can tell of it), set the FlipModelX flag.
Also, in SWBF you can't have three sides, just two sides and some local teams.

June 14, 2015, 01:13:57 PM #4 Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:36:19 AM by KommissarReb
Quote from: Led on June 14, 2015, 12:17:46 PM

To answer your BFbuilder issue (at least what I can tell of it), set the FlipModelX flag.
Also, in SWBF you can't have three sides, just two sides and some local teams.

How do I set the FlipModelX flag? When I said 3 sides, the third side I meant was the local team. Is it possible to make a mod where you can play as the local team as well as the two main teams?

Quote from: KommissarReb on June 14, 2015, 01:13:57 PM
How do I set the FlipModelX flag? When I said 3 sides, the third side I meant was the local team. Is it possible to make a mod where you can play as the local team as well as the two main teams?

Just as phobos mentioned, open the config.ini (use notepad) and add that line.  If you cannot see the config.ini file, then you need to enable viewing of system files and folder.

You can have local teams, but only two teams can be playable.

My problem is: when editing a stock map (BF 1 and 2) I cannot select/move/delete objects that are already there. What if  want the terrain from one map, but not the objects?

Quote from: Cmd_Smith on June 14, 2015, 01:44:24 PM
My problem is: when editing a stock map (BF 1 and 2) I cannot select/move/delete objects that are already there. What if  want the terrain from one map, but not the objects?
Did you disable read-only for the entire DATA map folder? The stock assets in world1 folder are read-only by default and have to be disabled for editing. You could try moving other WLD and LYR files to the custom world1 folder that has a specific terrain you want to use.

June 14, 2015, 05:24:48 PM #8 Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 05:26:19 PM by KommissarReb
Quote from: Led on June 14, 2015, 01:25:21 PM
Just as phobos mentioned, open the config.ini (use notepad) and add that line.  If you cannot see the config.ini file, then you need to enable viewing of system files and folder.

You can have local teams, but only two teams can be playable.

Please explain this to me as though you are talking to a 4 year old. I opened the config.ini inside DataMod1 and was going to add FlipModelX = 1 at the bottom, and it was there.

I couldn't follow Phobos's intructions of the second issue, because I wasn't able to find that code anywhere in BFBuilderPro.hta when I opened it with notepad. Does it look exactly the way Phobos has it, or do I have to go and find each line (its a problem since there's more than one of the same line)

June 14, 2015, 07:37:54 PM #9 Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:39:27 PM by Led
If it is in there, then you should not have that problem.

Phobo's second comment was for a different issue and is only a problem is you want to create a mod map using the map ID of a stock world.  I suggest you not mess with this particular problem and just make a non-stock map ID for your mod map.

Quote from: Led on June 14, 2015, 07:37:54 PM
If it is in there, then you should not have that problem.

So...is it impossible for me to create/edit a map if there is no known reason why the BFBuilder doesn't work?

I suppose if that's the case, I could just make requests to people what kind of map I'd suggest making. I don't want to resort to that, as I have what I'd consider a neat idea for a BF1 map.

Quote from: KommissarReb on June 15, 2015, 07:55:50 AM
So...is it impossible for me to create/edit a map if there is no known reason why the BFBuilder doesn't work?

I suppose if that's the case, I could just make requests to people what kind of map I'd suggest making. I don't want to resort to that, as I have what I'd consider a neat idea for a BF1 map.

The only problem you have described is (potentially) the model flip problem. 

How about starting over and describing your problem in detail and include screen shots so everyone can understand what the issue is.  In this late stage of modding for SWBF, there are not many modders that will take requests, so you are best sticking with your original idea of figuring things out and making your own maps.

If you have saved the world when the flipmodel x wasn't added to your config.ini then the objects are permanently displaced and you will have to start over or fix them. It's a good idea to backup the world1 folder ( i use 7zip for archiving) often when modding maps.

If you can explain in more detail and post screenshots we might have a better idea how to help.

Quote from: Led on June 15, 2015, 09:31:52 AM
The only problem you have described is (potentially) the model flip problem. 

How about starting over and describing your problem in detail and include screen shots so everyone can understand what the issue is.  In this late stage of modding for SWBF, there are not many modders that will take requests, so you are best sticking with your original idea of figuring things out and making your own maps.

It may be more efficient to show you what the problem is. Click here to see what I did exactly, and if you can pinpoint the problem, please let me know.

By the way, the FlipModel X = 1 was in every config.ini I saw, not just the one in the DataMod1 folder.

Try using BFBuilder Pro and also place the BFBuilder folder directly in C:\ then try again and see if it works.