Author Topic: [info].msh structure notes  (Read 2737 times)

tirpider

• Hex-Knife Craftsman
  • Master Modder
  • This Man Has No Life
  • Awards To recognize Modders that make a most excellent contribution within the Month Award for extensive modding contributions and/or donations to TWD Battlefront Releasing Multiple Mods on SWBFgamers.com
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Steam ID:
[info].msh structure notes
« on: October 22, 2011, 08:38:37 PM »
Notes on SWBF .msh file structure.
I want to be able to manipulate model features and geometries without XSI. In order to do that, I need the file format.

Ande has a site dedicated to this exact information. (link: www.ande.pytalhost.eu)
If anything in this document confilcts with what he has, I would go with what he has.
Some (a lot, particularly the CLTH stuff) of the following is straight from there, as I have no way to test it.

.msh MAIN CHUNK HIERARCHY
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

.msh BONE HIERARCHY (MODL chunks)

.msh TAG OFFSETS AND DESCRIPTIONS

I believe the above is pretty complete for the purposes of recognizing and translating the msh data. As I run across errors, I will correct them. The code I am building is drawing directly from the info in this document.
I am now moving on to explore the next level of abstraction the data represents. Envelopes, smoothing groups, IK chains and such.

The attatched tools will br removed when I make suitable replacements for them.
They are all being re-written from the ground up to include everything I have learned in the last several months.
I haven't decided if they will be several small tools, or a single tool with several options.
I do know that none will have a GUI. All input and output will take place through the console or via txt files.

I don't think there will be much more that I can do with the raw format, utillity-wise. But I am looking into various ascii formats. Perhaps I can takea swing at, say, a msh to obj converter that doesn't loose half the msh data (like the entire skeleton.)

-next update : re-tooling the tools. (testing)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 08:24:18 PM by tirpider »

Led

• Administrator
  • The Chosen One
  • The 82nd Element
  • Awards For those who play any version of the 2016+ EA games Special Award for those that play the original SWBF
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Steam ID:
  • Tunngle ID: _PLA-Led
  • Origin ID: plaled
Re: [info].msh structure notes
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 02:24:56 AM »
nice work.  I wish I new enough to be able to help you...
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

SleepKiller

• Co-Admin
  • Internet Addict
  • Awards To recognize Modders that make a most excellent contribution within the Month Releasing Multiple Mods on SWBFgamers.com
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Steam ID:
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 02:47:05 AM »
i argree certainly nice work. Good job!

tirpider

• Hex-Knife Craftsman
  • Master Modder
  • This Man Has No Life
  • Awards To recognize Modders that make a most excellent contribution within the Month Award for extensive modding contributions and/or donations to TWD Battlefront Releasing Multiple Mods on SWBFgamers.com
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Steam ID:
Re: [info].msh structure notes[wip]
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:37:57 PM »
-edit
Sorry about hijacking my own post.
Ran out of room above.

.msh SPECULATIONS

SOURCES

TOOLS USED TO FIGURE THIS OUT

-edits-
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:01:41 PM by tirpider »

RepComm

• BOB clan
  • Internet Addict
  • Deobfuscating lots of swbf things...
  • Awards Award for extensive modding contributions and/or donations to TWD Battlefront ICW2 Participant
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 05:35:53 PM »
CAMR -> DATA info (will edit per find):

Last two floats are camera's near and far ranges.
I am comparing values to camera data on XSI soft image. I'll keep adding values and eventually structure them when I get back to internet land..

There isn't a way for me to live test values because ZETools doesn't even export camera tags.. maybe we really do need xsiaddon to work so we can flesh the format out completely.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 05:38:09 PM by RepComm »
swbf-unmunge-howto

Rewriting reusable code for swbf_web_client, a browser implementation of battlefront that connects to the original game's servers.
Delivering on old projects you've been waiting for!

tirpider

• Hex-Knife Craftsman
  • Master Modder
  • This Man Has No Life
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Steam ID:
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 10:53:05 PM »
Awesome! I'll update the above when you post it.

I don't even know if it is a field the original xsiaddon would produce. (Going off memory so I may be wrong about this) I gathered a lot of information from ancient, exotic places online. One that comes to mind is a modding community for the old Battlezone game, they have a lot of tags that don't exist in Battlefront MSH files. So some of the stuff may be depreciated data structures that the mungers would just ignore or try to smash in with a surrounding tag.