Modding for GTA IV and GTAV killed off by Rockstar and Take Two

Started by Giftheck, June 22, 2017, 03:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
http://www.gamesradar.com/whats-going-on-with-gta-5-mods-right-now-heres-why-people-are-talking-about-it/

Here's a really good video that also deals with Bethesda's "Creator's Club" as well, showing the two vastly contrasting attitudes:
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

People are getting really upset about this and it's not a great move by Rockstar but I don't think it will have a massive impact on GTA modding. Even after OpenIV stopped distribution I was able to find the mod tools in 2 minutes. I think people will just find OpenIV elsewhere and keep making mods. If Lucasfilm suddenly stopped the distribution of BF mod tools I think people would just keep making mods anyway.

The problem is OpenIV auto-updates. That wouldn't be a big deal if it didn't auto-update with a forced uninstall after they took OpenIV down.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

I still don't understand how they managed to stop the mods :( they did everything they could to make sure people legitimately owned GTA IV & V

Perhaps they decided if they ever wanted to do it themselves they wouldn't be able to make money if a mod team did this...

It is a shame, I definitely found it upsetting when I first found out about this, countless hours of peoples hard work gone to waste because Rockstar said "no you can't make our old games great again".... basically but in legal format...

Nevermind! :)
"A cornered fox is more dangerous than a jackal!" - Gray Fox

Quote from: Thor110 on September 25, 2017, 01:38:45 PM
I still don't understand how they managed to stop the mods :( they did everything they could to make sure people legitimately owned GTA IV & V

Perhaps they decided if they ever wanted to do it themselves they wouldn't be able to make money if a mod team did this...

It is a shame, I definitely found it upsetting when I first found out about this, countless hours of peoples hard work gone to waste because Rockstar said "no you can't make our old games great again".... basically but in legal format...

Nevermind! :)
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that Rockstar has now either released or is working on new mod tools. This move was a massive PR disaster for them and they're now walking it back by allowing mods for single player only.

No, what's happened is that Rockstar had a dialogue with the OpenIV guys and allowed them to continue on, so long as they can guarantee non-interference with GTAO.
In Progress:

On Hold:

I have no idea, I could be wrong, but the same as what this thread says is the last I heard / read about it, though I haven't really kept up to date with it to be honest.

If that is the case though, good to hear :) I will have to have a look around for more up to date news on this fiasco.

Hmm, see now I heard that also, but after the news about mod tools, but I also remember reading from steam that it was altogether cancelled due to them not being able to guarantee non interference with GTAO.
"A cornered fox is more dangerous than a jackal!" - Gray Fox

It won't really have that big of an impact, since most the modders are playing on diff servers and whatnot anyway. But I really don't like the Nintendo stance that Rockstar is trying to go towards. Modding and custom games are really what makes or breaks your game sometimes. It helps with longevity and killing that off is a bad sign.