Re: PS2 server/game testing needed for new master server

Started by Mike, May 29, 2016, 08:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
June 03, 2016, 10:38:44 AM #30 Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 02:36:01 PM by oldsnake
the A lucasarts.gamespy.com does not even show up in the working version

these entries are missing in the stuck on patch screen cap

source                      destination                               info
192.168.10.102   162.243.230.247   DNS   84   Standard query 0x6012  A rgprd.us.playstation.com
162.243.230.247   192.168.10.102   DNS   84   Standard query response 0x6012 Refused
192.168.10.102   192.168.10.1           DNS   84   Standard query 0x6012  A rgprd.us.playstation.com
192.168.10.1           192.168.10.102   DNS   165   Standard query response 0x6012 No such name

a call/response to the master server list

192.168.10.102   74.91.125.138          DNS   88   Standard query 0x94cb  A swbfront2ps2.ms4.gamespy.com
74.91.125.138         192.168.10.102          DNS   104   Standard query response 0x94cb A 162.248.92.172

a response from servers on the list

74.91.125.138        192.168.10.102   UDP   130   Source port: 3663  Destination port: 64621
192.168.10.101    192.168.10.102   UDP   641   Source port: 3658  Destination port: 64621

I'll look some more through it tonight.

In Mike's working gamespy capture,  rgprd.us.playstation.com also did not resolve but I think it still worked.  I'll double check.

Here is the hex-edited SWBFSpy battlefront 1 server exe for the ps2
I'll host a server for it soon here -> 66.85.14.80:3661

What is the next step that we should do guys?

I am still getting Patch Screen -> hit Yes many times to get past it -> enter without logging in -> empty server list for join, and host registration failed for create. This is on 74.91.125.138 and it happens on SWF2.

On SWBF1 I actually can't get past the patch screen right now, if I keep hitting yes it black screens and the game seemingly reboots.

EDIT: I have tested out qtracker now with another PS2 player. Qtracker is Primary DNS to 63.239.170.150 
We don't get the patch screen which is good. But the server list is still empty with busy 0%. We can put up 4 mans from the create button and we usually do not get the host registration failed error. I tried to see if I could see the other players 4 man or if he could see mine, but it seems the PS2 was not receiving the server list properly.
Would a wireshark capture of what qtracker is doing as a point of comparison be helpful? It does not get stuck on the patch screen so maybe we can compare and fix that at least?

We are stuck. There is something we are missing in the DNS configuration but we are not sure what it is. Kalle has given us all the help he can so we need to figure this out on our own.

Please check the other threads to see more information.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

June 09, 2016, 01:09:03 PM #35 Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:45:21 PM by {Alpha}Drunken_Master
I've been low energy with whatever virus the kids brought home right before school ended, but coming out of it.

I was about to compare the packets at the moment SWBFspy gets stuck to the working gamespy in detail.  Up until the SWBFspy server query almost everything else looks the same.   I did glance at them earlier and didn't notice much difference but it deserves looking in more detail.  I would not be surprised if it's something at the SWBFspy side which would mean we are indeed stuck ATM.  I can try to make more time tonight.

I got my PS3 out but can't find my disk.  I may try the emulator Old Snake sent instructions for, but for sure won't have time until the weekend or next week.  A simultaneous capture on both sides (server and client) might help, but might need it on all three or debugging info on the SWBFspy server to track it down.  (edit - just grabbed a PS2 BF2 disk off ebay so should have one soon)

Major update guys, I was testing all other workarounds so we could get some comparison points. Someone on the PS2 online gaming forums posted, "just a quick mention, Christians DNS has changed once again, it is now 186.34.189.167

Use this for Area 51, COD 3 etc etc etc etc etc etc etc
"

I tried 186.34.189.167 for primary DNS and somehow someway I am able to see the "SWBFgamers.com-PS2-server" and also join and play on it.

In my head this makes zero sense but I am happy it works. How is it possible for a random DNS to somehow point to the master server list you guys have set up and retrieve the server list correctly? I feel like every DNS number should supply its own different master list. I don't know anything about Christians DNS but I will attempt to find out some more. For now I can see a server list, that happens to have your guys' server on it. How that's possible I have no idea.

Also Led, if I could have a link to that .exe you are using to host the PS2 server for further testing that would be good. Is it the one OldSnake posted on page 1?

Yes, I used oldsnakes exe to host.

Please see if that person can export his DNS entries for us. 

It may be that our DNS entries are cached for now, so it would not surprise me if you no longer see our server in a couple of days.

I'll try to track down the owner yea, haven't found anything yet, will post when I do.

Christian's DNS server can point to the SWBFspy server just like Led's DNS server does.  The stuck capture from Old Snake shows correct DNS query and responses to Led's DNS server pointing to SWBFspy server.  The initial communication to the SWBFspy server from the client gets and ack and nothing else.  Either the SWBFspy didn't like the packet from Old Snake's client, or the SWBFspy server exe is not responding how it should.

AFAI can tell, confirmed failure of DNS A record query for rgprd.us.playstation.com from Mike's older working capture (I think it was working) did not seem to cause a problem; but the capture didn't go on long enough to look at the game initiation.  I don't see this DNS query in the stuck capture from Old Snake.

I searched for this last packet from the client in the stuck captures from the PC game and didn't find it yet.  I don't have a longer capture from a working PS2 to see what it is supposed to look like on a working game.

I don't see where DNS is failing on the client side. If the server EXE has the DNS problem, why would it work on Christians?  We only have partial evidence right now; I guess the DNS Christian has worth looking at.

Quote from: {Alpha}Drunken_Master on June 09, 2016, 06:10:15 PM
Christian's DNS server can point to the SWBFspy server just like Led's DNS server does. 
Right, but I was assuming that these guys are unaware of what you guys were working on. I suppose its possible they configure it off of the work here, but I still think that would be weird. The JamesCableCar user just mentioned the DNS number changed, and I don't see anyone with a username of Christian on the same site. I figured they would have their own forum or something but I don't have anything yet. 

I remember back when GameMaster first started, it was gaining servers that were only listed on the old default GameSpy somehow, and I didn't understand that either. This was between May and July 2014 when both services were up and running at the same time. I think Kalle perhaps manually added GameSpy servers to his master server list so the hosts didn't need to edit them for some time.

Quote from: {Alpha}Drunken_Master on June 09, 2016, 06:10:15 PM
AFAI can tell, confirmed failure of DNS A record query for rgprd.us.playstation.com from Mike's older working capture (I think it was working) did not seem to cause a problem; but the capture didn't go on long enough to look at the game initiation.  I don't see this DNS query in the stuck capture from Old Snake.

I searched for this last packet from the client in the stuck captures from the PC game and didn't find it yet.  I don't have a longer capture from a working PS2 to see what it is supposed to look like on a working game.
The one I gave from 2014 was working yes. I do remember it having some red packets in the entires that didn't work, but on that capture I did actually get to the server list, join a server, and spawn in. My action log is was here: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=10608.msg106038#msg106038
So somehow those packets didn't matter, according to me 2 years ago I did play 1 life on Mustafar.

If you need me to do any capture just let me know what actions to capture on what DNS and I can do it, my PS2 is all set up, and I can play on the SWBFgamers server now.

EDIT: Found this information which may or may not be useful http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1874&start=20#p11566
It looks like its using some combination of other workarounds?

It is possible that my DNS is sending too much toward the masterserver, or that perhaps my DNS needs to also be sending more generic requests to other parts of the internet.

I think that one thing is clear though--it is not anything that the player is doing, or even the game server, or even the master server.  I am pretty sure is is purely a DNS issue.

June 09, 2016, 07:29:18 PM #42 Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 07:40:46 PM by {Alpha}Drunken_Master
Isn't the master server is using is using your DNS no matter if clients look at Christians or your DNS server?

Perhaps it is cooincidence that it worked for a while on yours then at the moment on Christians? 

You are thinking perhaps a generic part of the internet is cached.  I think Led  is saying he thinks it might be between DNS and SWBFspy.  A packet capture of working on Christians might rule it out or perhaps show what that is.  Mike do you mind you try it with Christain's DNS server?  That is, all the way from look for servers to join the game.

(edit) LED perhaps you can set up a capture on the DNS server?  Did you set up a test PS2 only DNS server that would be better?  I can, not sure when, set up on the Alpha Win 2012 box if that would be better.  or I can give you admin access if you have time.

I am out of town atm but can try this weekend.

Yea I can capture that right now. So you only want it from hitting the get server list button to until I spawn in on the server?

That would exclude the initial connecting process and log in screen SWBFspy is having issues with just to clarify. But it would cover the empty server list issue.