Keyboard Problems

Started by Phobos, January 27, 2016, 12:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
January 27, 2016, 12:42:03 PM Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 01:13:19 PM by Phobos
My keyboard has been having annoying problems lately it has gotten much worse. Over 80% of the time it messes up when the "a" key is pressed. Most commonly it will input the letter twice when only pressed once, other times it will add the letter several times, and sometimes it won't add the letter at all. It is difficult even to type this without having to hit backspace constantly.

Sometimes it also does this with the "f" key though not as often maybe 20% of the time. No other keys have this problem so I'm wondering if it is a mechanical fault or possibly a driver issue. Any ideas? Model Number RZ03-0038 Razer BlackWidow Ultimate

Edit Looks like a problem called "switch chattering" http://imgur.com/a/fyxIg
QuoteSYMPTOM: Repeating Characters...like "Characterrrrsssssss". TEST: Look for repeating characters in text editor. Doublecheck on another computer to eliminate SW (key repeat rate) issues. CAUSE: Switch chattering happens with all Cherry MX switches. Cause varies: Metal fatigue, contamination (often reported after liquid spill, misalignment of the metal leaf, dust. FIX: 1. Try Compressed air to clear out possible dust (not Elitekeyboards approved!) 2. Use Deoxit to clean contacts 3. Disassemble the switch and try cleaning contacts or even GENTLY rebending them. 4. If it continues to chatter replace the switch (see buying links in the wiki)

January 28, 2016, 07:43:26 AM #1 Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:47:50 AM by TheGangstarTY
My mouse had the same problem. It double left clicked every time. Apparently throwing it at the wall worked.

I wouldn't recommend that with a keyboard though  :rofl: It sounds like a loose key. Does the key feel more loose than any other keys (does it wobble more)? And are you able to take apart your keyboard? Sometimes detaching the key then reattaching it does to job. If not, it could be something to do with the connection to the circuit.

Also, as said by that guy on imgur, disassembling the switch and cleaning contacts/rebending the switch should also be a solution. The other options I'm unsure about though.
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

Quote from: TheGangstarTY on January 28, 2016, 07:43:26 AM
My mouse had the same problem. It double left clicked every time. Apparently throwing it at the wall worked.

I wouldn't recommend that with a keyboard though  :rofl: It sounds like a loose key. Does the key feel more loose than any other keys (does it wobble more)? And are you able to take apart your keyboard? Sometimes detaching the key then reattaching it does to job. If not, it could be something to do with the connection to the circuit.

Also, as said by that guy on imgur, disassembling the switch and cleaning contacts/rebending the switch should also be a solution. The other options I'm unsure about though.
The key does not feel looser than any others. I haven't tried disassembling the keyboard yet but I will soon. I have an electric duster that is powerful enough to clean it without taking apart but this didnt seem to fix the issue. I suspect its the connection or switch itself going bad and will be using a cheap non-mechanical keyboard instead until I can get this one fixed.

Quote from: Phobos on January 31, 2016, 05:37:52 PM
The key does not feel looser than any others. I haven't tried disassembling the keyboard yet but I will soon. I have an electric duster that is powerful enough to clean it without taking apart but this didnt seem to fix the issue. I suspect its the connection or switch itself going bad and will be using a cheap non-mechanical keyboard instead until I can get this one fixed.

Ok. I think it's the connection between the switch. If you find out the issue, be sure to let me know ;)

Also sometimes picking up the keyboard and giving it a little shake can fix the issue, but in this situation I'd call that very unlikely. Either way, if you here something rolling around in there, that could be an issue too.
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123